PDA

View Full Version : Good 4E one-shot?

RiOrius
2010-04-15, 05:06 PM
I'd like to run a 4E one-shot for the 3.5 group I play in, and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions?

I found one from Dungeon that I think sounds like fun, The Last Breaths of Ashenport (http://wizards.com/dnd/files/dungeon/156/156_Ashenport.pdf), but it says it's for 8th-level characters, and I'm not sure I can convince my friends to put that much work into a one-shot character (unless building an 8th level character in 4E is really easy? I dunno, I've only ever played delves with pregenerated characters). Also, now that I think about it, I'm not convinced that this adventure would only last one session...

Unfortunately, most of the 4E modules I've found (mostly from wizards.com) seem a lot more combat-heavy and RP-light than we tend to like. Hence my difficulty in finding one that's lower level.

Excession
2010-04-15, 08:10 PM
At level 1 you have to choose:

Race.
Class, and class subtype.
Stats.
Skill trainings.
1 feat.
2 at-wills.
1 encounter.
1 daily.
Mundane items, e.g.: longsword vs. battleaxe.

Level 8 adds:

4 more feats.
2 more encounters.
1 more daily.
2 utilities.
Magical items.

It's not that much harder, and it comes with more options in play. The most complex part in my experience is the magical items. You can simplify things by going with "default choice" type feats and items. If they keep playing the characters let them rebuild once they have some experience.

For example, defenders get toughness, an AC upgrade, weapon expertise. Weapon-based strikers get a superior weapon, weapon focus, weapon expertise. Add a good racial feat and a multiclass to both of those and you're done. You can do roughly the same for items, even just use "+2 magic" items if nothing else, missing the properties and daily powers isn't game breaking.

Kaun
2010-04-15, 09:02 PM
The one in the DMG is ok but it can be a little borring for people who have a decent level of DnD exp in any ed.

herrhauptmann
2010-04-15, 09:11 PM
If you have access to the LFR modules, check some of htose out. Just remove the skill challenge and replace it with roleplaying.
I'm trying to remember the mod I had the most fun playing, but I'll just stick to advising you to avoid the waterdeep module "Intro to the flaming fists".
-Friggin wood smugglers ambushed some unicorn knights, then fled into the waterdeep carrying huge trees, which they would then ship to Calimshan because it was 'rare wood'. We're not talking a few lengths the size of your arm. But entire friggin trees, tall as telephone poles, but twice as large in diameter.
-Then the whole "find me a seashell so I can attach it to a sword as the crossguard" From a dwarven blacksmith. That fight was nearly a TPK.