PDA

View Full Version : Unbeleivably Simple Grapple Rules

Squeejee
2010-04-15, 06:26 PM
Preface

Well, I've said it once and I'll say it again: D20 is not grapple-friendly. It's difficult to pull off, not very useful once you DO pull it off, and generally slows down combat (which is already painfully slow for some) significantly and is just a general downer.

My goals with this system? Make grappling as simple as possible. One of the main draws for many D20 players is that the core mechanic is so easy to remember, and over-complication is the main reason grapple rules are avoided.

The main reason for simplicity in this system is focus. Here, you're basically either trying to hold your opponent (a series of grapple checks) or punch their lights out (a series of attack rolls). The only real change to combat grappling makes is a change of status quo - fast characters are screwed if they let themselves get pulled in by a strong character, making escape artist even more useful a skill for them to have. This means that grappling is often a very sensible and strategic move to make, should your front line character choose to make it.

Now, while I'm personally certain this is an improvement over the current rules, some groups (especially groups running gritty, martially-minded campaigns) may find the options available in these rules somewhat lacking. If that's the case, you should check out my Better Grapple Rules (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8278470#post8278470) - they're my initial, full version that add a degree of tactics and deadliness to grappling that the simple version lacks.

And now, on to the system.

Step 1: Initiate Grapple

Initiating a grapple is a standard action.

The initiator rolls a melee touch attack versus his target.

If the initiator hit his opponent's touch AC, continue to step 2.

If the initiator misses this particular attack, he provokes an attack of opportunity for trying - and failing - to grab his opponent's arm (or similar appendage). A character with the Improved Grapple feat does not provoke this attack for a failed grapple attempt.

Step 2: Consequences of Grappling

When a grapple starts, grapplers move into the same square. The initiator decides whether both involved move into his own square, or if he should move into his opponent's square.

Grapplers are flat-footed to all attacks, as their attention is focused on their opponent.

Each grappler is granted 50% cover against all attacks, except those from the other grappler.

Step 3: Starting The Grapple

Once he has initiated a grapple, the initiator has a decision to make: his goal. He chooses one option below and follows the steps outlined. Certain feats may grant additional options.

Grapple to Pin

The most often-used excuse for grappling, a grapple to pin is an attempt to hold your opponent down - perhaps to affix manacles to their hands, or simply keep them from casting spells.

Quite simply, the initiator and his opponent each roll an opposed grapple check. If the initiator wins, his turn ends - and he has successfully pinned his opponent.

At his option, a pinning initiator is either holding his opponent prone against the ground, or standing with him in a full nelson (or similar).

If the opponent wins, he can choose to end the grapple immediately, or continue it into his own turn.

A pinned character is considered helpless against attacks from outside sources, and is no longer afforded the 50% cover against attacks from them.

A pinning character, while still flat footed against attacks, retains his 50% cover as he tries to block attacks with his opponent.

Grapple to Slam

Another popular option, grappling to slam is holding your opponent still while you wail on him for massive damage. Or is it "whale on him"? I can never tell...

When grappling to slam, the initiator begins by making an opposed grapple roll with his opponent. If the initiator wins, he is granted a melee attack - unarmed or with any light weapon at his disposal - against his opponent.

For the purposes of this attack, his opponent is considered flat footed. Therefore, his DEX and dodge bonuses to AC don't apply, and any sneak attack or similar damage he is entitled to applies.

If the opponent wins, he can choose to end the grapple immediately, or continue it into his own turn.

Step 4: Continuing the Grapple

As the grapple continues, fighters have more options - depending on what happened already. Here's a breakdown of what can happen.

Break Pin - Standard Action
If a character is successfully pinned, their ONLY option when their turn comes around is to break the pin, which is done one of two ways.

The first way involves force - the pinned character rolls an opposed grapple check with his pinner.

The second way involves finesse. The pinned character makes an escape artist roll, opposed by a grapple check from the pinner.

In either case, if the pinned character wins, he is no longer pinned, and may choose to end the grapple or continue it.

If the pinner wins, the pinned character's turn ends with no change.

Slam - Standard Action or Full-Round Action
A character in a grapple who is not pinned may choose to make a melee attack or attacks versus his opponent, unarmed or with any previously-drawn light weapon.

In a grapple, your target is considered flat-footed against your attacks.

You may make a single attack as a standard action, or a full attack action as a full round action - which, if you are entitled to multiple attacks, is generally the better option.

Hold - Move Action
A character who wants to keep his opponent from escaping must maintain a pin. If the character selects the "Hold" action, his turn ends, and his opponent remains pinned until his next turn.

If the opponent isn't already pinned, the holding character makes a roll as described above in Grapple to Pin, with the results as described there.

Escape - Standard Action
If your opponent is no longer pinning you, or never was, escaping the grapple is fairly easy. An escapee rolls an opposed grapple check against his opponent, who takes a -4 to this check.

If the escapee wins, the grapple is over.

If his opponent wins, the grapple continues.

Cast a Spell - As the spell to be cast
A spellcaster caught in a grapple often has a trick up his sleeve that would be extremely helpful right about now, such as Tenser's Transformation.

A spellcaster rolls a concentration check, opposed by a grapple check from his opponent. His opponent adds the spell level of the spell the spellcaster is trying to cast as a bonus to his grapple check.

If the spellcaster's concentration check beats his opponent's grapple roll, the spell goes off as usual.

If the opponent's grapple roll beats the spellcaster's grapple check, the spell fails and its slot is lost.

Squeejee
2010-04-15, 06:28 PM
New Feats

Naturally, new rules necessitate new feats, as detailed below.

-----

Improved Grapple

Prerequisites

Dex or Str 13, Improved Unarmed Strike or BAB +3.

Benefit

You gain a +4 bonus on all grapple checks and attack rolls made during a grapple, including the roll to initiate a grapple. In addition, you no longer provoke an attack of opportunity for failing to land a grapple.

Special

A fighter may select Improved Grapple as one of his fighter bonus feats.

A monk may select Improved Grapple as a bonus feat at 1st level, even if she does not meet the prerequisites.

-----

Grapple Specialization

Prerequisites

Improved Grapple, Fighter or Monk level 4

Benefit

You gain access to improved grapple abilities, described below.

Grapple to Break - Standard Action

An advanced grappling technique, grappling to break is a technique that can leave a lasting impression.

A grapple to break can be performed both at the start of a grapple as well as as during the course of one.

The breaking character makes an attack roll against their opponent's flat-footed AC, taking a -8 penalty to the attack, and using only either an unarmed strike or a previously-drawn light weapon. If the attack hits, it deals critical damage.

Grapple to Throw - Standard Action
An alternative to tripping your opponent, a skilled grappler learns techniques that can render them prone.

A grapple to throw can be performed both at the start of a grapple as well as as during the course of one.

The throwing character makes an opposed attack roll versus their opponent, using either an unarmed strike or a previously drawn light weapon of their choice.

If the throwing character wins the roll, the attack deals normal damage, and their opponent is left prone in the throwing character's square, and the grapple ends.

If the defending character wins the roll, he may choose to end or continue the grapple.

Grapple to Disarm - Move Action
An alternative method of disarming your opponent, a skilled grappler learns techniques that can render them weaponless.

A grapple to disarm can be performed both at the start of a grapple as well as as during the course of one.

The disarming character makes an opposed attack roll versus their opponent, using either an unarmed strike or a previously drawn light weapon of their choice. If the defender is wielding a two-handed weapon, they receive a -4 penalty to this roll, as their weapon is too unwieldy to effectively guard against this attack.

If the disarming character wins the roll, the attack deals normal damage, and their opponent drops whatever object the disarming character was targeting. The grapple continues.

If the defending character wins the roll, he may choose to end the grapple or immediately make a standard disarm attempt against his opponent as a reaction, unarmed or with a light weapon.

Special

A fighter can select Grapple Specialization as one of his fighter bonus feats

-----

Clever Wrestling

Prerequisite

Int 13

Benefit

At your discretion, you either gain the ability to halve your own size penalty to grapple checks, or halve your opponents bonus to the same, chosen at the beginning of each grapple. If you and your opponent are both Medium, you instead gain a +1 size bonus to your grapple rolls versus that opponent.

Special

A fighter may select clever wrestling as one of his fighter bonus feats.

Mulletmanalive
2010-04-15, 06:42 PM
Alter the lines about cover and flatfootedness to read:

"Each participant in a Grapple trades mobility for a human shield and counts as both Flatfooted and as having 50% cover"

Personally, i think that's a little high, but it doesn't seem entirely unreasonable, given the nature of grappling on the floor...

I'm also left wondering why you'd need both a grapple check and an unarmed attack to actually hurt your opponent. Surely one or the other is sufficient?

Have you considered making the Hold action an attack option instead? That way you can not only hold them but twist their arms out of their sockets, all without increasing the complexity overtly?

This is, infact, probably simpler to remember, which would therefore make it more likely to be used. Excellent start, might be worth looking it over again to see if you can simplify the language and rules even more.

Squeejee
2010-04-15, 06:59 PM
Thanks - I'm writing up prefaces for these right now, and as I say in my other one, the purpose of the "Better Grapple Rules" wasn't to simplify so much as make grappling more worthwhile.

The purpose of these is to simplify.

On the Grapple to Slam idea - I like taking out the extra grapple roll, so I think I'll change that. If gives fighters facing nimble characters an option to, instead of missing two or three times, grab and hold their opponent and hit them once. That melee touch attack will still be somewhat of a hard sell against extremely high DEX characters, actually, limiting the effectiveness of this tactic.

As for making hold an attack, the idea here was that you are EITHER holding your opponent OR punching them. The most likely course of action, from my standpoint, is to grapple to pin in the first round, and then full attack in the second - maybe your opponent gets away after that, but you basically spend one of your full attacks for the chance to make them flat footed for a round. Almost like a feint for strong characters.

EDIT: Actually, being able to hold and cause damage simultaneously was going to be a feat.

Yitzi
2011-05-26, 05:08 PM
One flaw in both systems you posted: There's no way to drag your enemy away with you like there is in the normal rules.

Caros
2011-05-26, 09:47 PM
One flaw in both systems you posted: There's no way to drag your enemy away with you like there is in the normal rules.

This is your major problem with it?!

How about the fact that it would turn a campaign into a grapple/Coup de Grace festival. The system functions essentially like regular grapple on crack. You only provoke if you fail to grab. Once you do grab its one successful check to pin instead of two, and instead of being held immobile by a pin you are helpless.

The pinning seems either pointless or overpowered. Standard grapple allows you to inflict your unarmed damage with a grapple test, which you can't do under these rules when your opponent is pinned, meaning that by yourself you cannot hurt a restrained opponent.

However, as soon as you add in a single adjacent party member, it becomes comical. Grab, pin, coup de grace. Since the whole pinning action happens in my turn, the opponent may not even get a chance to break out before my party member finishes them off.

The alternate rules you posted are okay, but these... they're breaking something that wasn't terrible.

Yitzi
2011-05-26, 10:34 PM
This is your major problem with it?!

Not the biggest problem perhaps, but the only one that cannot possibly be argued to be meant to be what it's for. The rest might work if you want a grapple-heavy campaign. But even then this would be a problem.

Moofaa
2011-05-27, 04:45 PM
Perhaps when escaping a grapple, you should be able to either move into an adjacent square of your choice or push the opponent into an adjacent square.