PDA

View Full Version : Making the Spell-to-Power Erudite...

Lycanthromancer
2010-04-15, 06:49 PM
...EVEN BETTER.

Okay, here's how to qualify for most caster PrCs using erudite:

First, be a spell-to-power mantled erudite with the Magic Mantle (using these variants (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070629a)), and take whatever spells you need (such as haste, for swiftblade) as a spell/power known. Now all the powers you manifest count as spells, and any spell you know also counts as a power.

Hey, you get two 1st level bonus feats as an erudite, so it works...and you even get your manifester level to scale.

Otherwise, spell-to-power erudite with a 1-level dip into ardent or Mantled Psywar.

...Could this be used to qualify for both sides of cerebremancer?

Dusk Eclipse
2010-04-15, 07:00 PM
Just one question.. why do you need to make STPE, even more powerful?

SilverStar
2010-04-15, 07:02 PM
Because you can?

The original poster seems to do this for the pure mental exercise. :smallcool:

Lycanthromancer
2010-04-15, 07:03 PM
Just note that you don't qualify for PrCs that require an arcane caster level (such as arcane caster level: 6th); however, you do qualify for those PrCs that merely require you to cast, say, 3rd level arcane spells.

pffh
2010-04-15, 07:10 PM
Hmm could you use this to make an erudite/Iot7V

Lycanthromancer
2010-04-15, 07:11 PM
*Facepalm*

I was reading on BrilliantGameologists and came across this thread (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=7780.0). I somehow completely skipped over the first post, and came up with the idea all on my own.

How do you even do that?

pffh
2010-04-15, 07:14 PM
You have an extra http://url= in your link and the second http is missing a :

SilverStar
2010-04-15, 07:15 PM
*Facepalm*

I was reading on BrilliantGameologists and came across this thread (url=http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=7780.0). I somehow completely skipped over the first post, and came up with the idea all on my own.

How do you even do that?

'Cause you obviously failed your Decipher Script check. :smalltongue:

Wish I could pull this one off IRL, but sadly, erudite is on the no-go list.

Lycanthromancer
2010-04-15, 07:30 PM
You have an extra http://url= in your link and the second http is missing a :How odd. Fixed.

'Cause you obviously failed your Decipher Script check. :smalltongue:Must have. Nat 1, definitely.

Wish I could pull this one off IRL, but sadly, erudite is on the no-go list.There are plenty of other fun things you can do, such as the hamster-ball shaper.

SilverStar
2010-04-15, 07:31 PM
What in the nine hells is the hamster-ball shaper?!

Trekkin
2010-04-15, 07:35 PM
Hamster-ball shapers live in big wooden hamster balls to keep people having line of effect to them, normally with doors they can open to manifest out and little peepholes drilled throughout.

A much better explanation is below.

Lycanthromancer
2010-04-15, 07:36 PM
What in the nine hells is the hamster-ball shaper?!Most easily done with a Small-or-smaller shaper psion.

Take psionic minor creation. Make a ball large enough for you to easily fit within using amber, with foot-wide holes in the sides, with sliding doors that are easily latched shut (and easily opened); simple and easy to use.

Now, each round, roll around, immune from AoOs and with 100% cover from all directions; whenever you want to manifest, have your psicrystal use one move action to open a hatch, manifest whatever, then have it use its second move action to close it.

Voila.

Shaper in a hamster ball.

SilverStar
2010-04-15, 07:37 PM
**giggles madly**
Do I get bonus points if I am a (definitely awakened) hamster??

Trekkin
2010-04-15, 07:38 PM
A psionic hamster...like a brain mole?

SilverStar
2010-04-15, 07:41 PM
No, like Hamtaro, with the ability to kill things with my brain because they denied me sunflower seeds.

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-04-15, 08:06 PM
I'd go with a metapower + Burrowing Power strategy myself rather than opening hatches, because (A) it stops readied actions and such from hitting you when the hatches are open, (B) you can use your psicrystal for something else, and (C) it looks like the ball itself is the one manifesting the powers. That last point is the most important in my eyes, of course. :smallwink: Sure it eats up psionic foci like mad as an erudite, but a Dominant Ideal ardent would do just fine.

Lycanthromancer
2010-04-15, 08:09 PM
I'd go with a metapower + Burrowing Power strategy myself rather than opening hatches, because (A) it stops readied actions and such from hitting you when the hatches are open, (B) you can use your psicrystal for something else, and (C) it looks like the ball itself is the one manifesting the powers. That last point is the most important in my eyes, of course. :smallwink: Sure it eats up psionic foci like mad as an erudite, but a Dominant Ideal ardent would do just fine.But my way is usable by level 1.

Yours could work later on, however, even in the same build.

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-04-15, 08:13 PM
But my way is usable by level 1.

Yours could work later on, however, even in the same build.

It works fine at first level; all you need is Burrowing Power, Metapower, and Psionic Meditation, which is achievable with flaws and/or a human psion. The only reason to go with Dominant Ideal is if you're using enough metapsionics that a lack of psionic foci is problematic.

...it just occurred to me that having a bunch of awakened balls with levels in psion to serve as your decoys would be amazing.

Lycanthromancer
2010-04-15, 08:16 PM
...it just occurred to me that having a bunch of awakened balls with levels in psion to serve as your decoys would be amazing.That's what she-
*SMACK!*
Ow!

AdamSmasher
2010-04-15, 10:03 PM
How exactly does this work? Both of those variants require you to lose your first level erudite feat in exchange. They should be mutually exclusive.

EDIT: Oh, I see. You have two feats.

Sinfire Titan
2010-04-15, 11:29 PM
Sorry to break the news to you, but Transparency doesn't extend to PrCs. Casting PrCs do not affect a Psionic class unless the class specifies otherwise.

Rule of thumb: Transparency extends to Magic Items, Spells, SLAs, SUAs, and Spell Resistance. Everything else (Skills, feats, PrCs, etc) must specify that it affects Psionics in order to do so.

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-04-16, 09:08 AM
Sorry to break the news to you, but Transparency doesn't extend to PrCs. Casting PrCs do not affect a Psionic class unless the class specifies otherwise.

Rule of thumb: Transparency extends to Magic Items, Spells, SLAs, SUAs, and Spell Resistance. Everything else (Skills, feats, PrCs, etc) must specify that it affects Psionics in order to do so.

The reason he has Magic Mantle in there is that its granted ability is to "always treat magic and psionics as identical." The note below that suggests the devs intended that to enforce psionics-magic transparency in a Psionics Are Different game, but as written it always treats them as being identical. It's debatable, but I see where he's coming from.

2xMachina
2010-04-16, 11:24 AM
Psion Incantatrix?
Metamagic on Powers? (render Psionic Focus for meta useless)

Schism Metamagic Incantatrix?

SilverStar
2010-04-16, 07:37 PM
Psion Incantatrix?
Metamagic on Powers? (render Psionic Focus for meta useless)

A friend of mine and I were working on that on another site....

Draz74
2010-04-16, 07:47 PM

Schism Metamagic Tainted Scholar Beholder Mage?

SilverStar
2010-04-16, 07:48 PM
Schism Metamagic Tainted Scholar Beholder Mage?

My brain just melted.