PDA

View Full Version : Paladin of a Cause(Any)

PersonMan
2010-04-15, 06:51 PM
I'll be playing a Paladin in an upcoming campaign I'm in, and recently listened tot he song "I'm Blue(Da Ba Dee)", which made me wonder. Could one's paladin cause be Blue?

Starbuck_II
2010-04-15, 06:56 PM
How would one further the Blue cause might be something to think about.
Are you playing a Blue (goblin race) Paladin dressed in blue weilding a Blue Ice Weapon and Blue Ice armor?

TheLogman
2010-04-15, 06:57 PM
The only causes that Paladins can do within the rules written (at least in 3.5), are Justice (The Lawful Good one), Freedom (Chaotic Good), Slaughter (Chaotic Evil), and Tyranny (Lawful Evil).

In 4.0, I understand that Paladins can be any alignment, and have any cause. In which case Blue as a cause would be acceptable and awesome.

Or any color really.

And you can perpetuate your cause by just painting stuff Blue.

Like that game De Blob. Fighting Tyranny and injustice by spreading color (in your case blue!)

PersonMan
2010-04-15, 06:59 PM
The only causes that Paladins can do within the rules written (at least in 3.5), are Justice (The Lawful Good one), Freedom (Chaotic Good), Slaughter (Chaotic Evil), and Tyranny (Lawful Evil).

In 4.0, I understand that Paladins can be any alignment, and have any cause. In which case Blue as a cause would be acceptable and awesome.

Or any color really.

I see. This is good, since I have a 4.0 game coming up. If I get my Detect Evil, then my cause will be simple. Evil detects as Red, Good as Blue.

PersonMan
2010-04-15, 07:07 PM
How would one further the Blue cause might be something to think about.
Are you playing a Blue (goblin race) Paladin dressed in blue weilding a Blue Ice Weapon and Blue Ice armor?

Probably not. They'll probably be devoted to "spiritual blue". Saying that Good=Blue and Evil=Red is easy enough. And that once all Spiritual Red(Evil) is eliminated, the world and planes will be awash with Blue.

IonDragon
2010-04-15, 08:37 PM
They'll probably be devoted to "spiritual blue". Saying that Good=Blue and Evil=Red is easy enough. And that once all Spiritual Red(Evil) is eliminated, the world and planes will be awash with Blue.

This sounds more like you're just the usual 'LG' paladin, and I don't think anyone would ever have a problem with it. Just make sure to smite anyone wearing more than a hit of red. Be careful with Evokers in their red robes!

PersonMan
2010-04-15, 08:54 PM
This sounds more like you're just the usual 'LG' paladin, and I don't think anyone would ever have a problem with it. Just make sure to smite anyone wearing more than a hit of red. Be careful with Evokers in their red robes!

At this point, I'm just trying to find a way to be devoted to the cause of Blue without just carrying huge buckets of paint around and killing red creatures.

Speaking of red, maybe a special weapon quality that turns blood spilled by it blue? Maybe only evil blood, so the more evil creatures he/she/it kills, the more blue is released?

herrhauptmann
2010-04-15, 08:56 PM
Just make sure to smite anyone wearing more than a hit of red. Be careful with Evokers in their red robes!

If you're red, you're dead!

Anyone else remember Ultima Online?

Anyway, paladin of a cause. I don't see why not. I'm mean, there's the Knights of the Chalice PrC, which is a paladin order aimed at exterminating demons.
I don't see why you can't just make your paladin devoted to a given cause instead of a deity, then just choose Paladin of Freedom/tyranny/slaughter/uptight as appropriate. But being devoted to the Cause of the Color Blue. That seems a little goofy all by itself. In a serious game, I wouldn't allow "The color blue" as a cause, but maybe in a oneshot humor game.

Maybe if you had Paladins of Green, Yellow, Blue, Red, Orange, Indigo, Violet, and assigned each one to a given emotion, it would be less jarring and goofy.
Lets see: Willpower, Fear (inspiring it), Hope, Rage, Greed, Love, and something.

PersonMan
2010-04-15, 08:57 PM
If you're red, you're dead!

Anyone else remember Ultima Online?

The only time I heard that was from my friend's dad, when we were firing his airsoft guns. He was very big on safety. Possibly because he nearly got his head blown off by a rocket-guy in a life-fire exercise.

herrhauptmann
2010-04-15, 09:05 PM
Personman, yeah I've heard it used as a mnemonic for gun safeties, but I was personally told to ignore the safety and treat each gun like it was loaded with a hair trigger.

I heard it get used in the game UO as a reference to player killers (character's name turns red on screen) very heavily for a few years. And that's where it's stuck in my head the most.

Mongoose87
2010-04-15, 09:12 PM
You could be a Cleric of a cause. Or be the fixed Paladin of a cause, provided in ToB.

PersonMan
2010-04-15, 09:13 PM
I think Cleric would work, too.

...But what domains would a cleric of Blue have?

Mongoose87
2010-04-15, 10:23 PM
Destiny (RoD 163) and Purification (CDiv 141).

Strategos
2010-04-15, 11:15 PM

I'd say a Cleric of Blue could choose between the Knowledge, Magic, Artifice, Water, Air and Illusion Domains.

Oh, what do you mean we aren't talking about Blue in Magic: The Gathering here? :smalltongue:

MCerberus
2010-04-15, 11:32 PM

Law, Evil, War, and Water. Blue's holy symbol is a submarine and each Cleric of Blue is tasked with destroying all agents of yellow to take control of the sea of green for the cause.

RogerRandom
2010-04-16, 01:50 AM
Paladin of Blue? You mean a Happy Happyist (http://earthbound.wikia.com/wiki/Happy_Happyism)?!

Nero24200
2010-04-16, 04:50 AM
Not sure about paladin's, but if your DM allows clerics of a cause, then clerics could by RAW.