PDA

View Full Version : [3.5/Pathfinder] Can elementals use S components?

Caphi
2010-04-15, 07:13 PM
Elementals speak Auran, Ignan, Aquan, or Terran, depending on type, so they have the ability to speak and therefore produce verbal components. So a sorceror under the effect of elemental body could make verbal components, and provided the spell has no expensive component, Eschew Materials covers materials.

So that leaves only the somatic component. Could the caster make them or would he have to cast stilled spells in elemental form?

Knaight
2010-04-15, 07:19 PM
Elementals can move, one would expect the capability.

Touchy
2010-04-15, 07:22 PM
Elementals speak Auran, Ignan, Aquan, or Terran, depending on type, so they have the ability to speak and therefore produce verbal components. So a sorceror under the effect of elemental body could make verbal components, and provided the spell has no expensive component, Eschew Materials covers materials.

So that leaves only the somatic component. Could the caster make them or would he have to cast stilled spells in elemental form?

after consulting my book, no because you lost all class features in elemental form, but it does say the the GM decides if you can keep some.

Unless it wasn't of the polymorph subtype.

Yuki Akuma
2010-04-15, 07:23 PM
Everything can make somatic gestures. The problem comes when you shapeshift into a form that makes somatic gestures in a different way than you.

An awakened tiger Wizard would have troubled when polymorphing into a human.

But elementals are generally humanoid so I don't see there being a problem.

Caphi
2010-04-15, 08:01 PM
after consulting my book, no because you lost all class features in elemental form, but it does say the the GM decides if you can keep some.

Unless it wasn't of the polymorph subtype.

I already checked that, actually.

When you cast a polymorph spell that changes you into a creature of the animal, dragon, elemental, magical beast, plant, or vermin type, [...] you cannot cast any spells that require material components (unless you have the Eschew Materials or Natural Spell feat), and can only cast spells with somatic or verbal components if the form you choose has the capability to make such movements or speak, such as a dragon.

So yeah. I know elementals can speak, so the question was body.