PDA

View Full Version : Optimizing Help

Lateral
2010-04-15, 07:37 PM
Hi, I'm trying to make an optimized build based on death attacks and such-things that kill in other ways than direct damage. I need as much input as I can get, cuz all I've got so far is this.

Name: Something "grim reaper-y".
Armor:Any non-heavy with a low armor check penalty. I want it to be quiet and fit under a black, hooded robe, but other than that IDK.
Weapon:Primarily scythe, maybe others as needed.
Class:I dunno yet. Preferably a high-tier class, but not a "squishy wizard" kinda thing.
Optimization:I've just got this so far. The feat "Death Blow" from Complete Adventurer lets you make an attack as a standard action that is a Coup de Grace but provokes an attack of opportunity. Combine this with the feat "Elusive Dance" which is the same as Dodge only prevents opportunity attacks from that player instead, and the scythe which causes more damage on a crit which makes the save DC against instant death higher. (Maybe a vorpal scythe, too.)
Skills:Move silently, perform (dance) atleast 5 since it's needed for elusive dance. Any ideas on what else?
Race: Dunno yet, probably human intelligent undead.
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral or Lawful Neutral
Aaaand...thassit. Any input would be greatly appreciated (and quickly stolen :smalltongue:). Thanks!

edit: Also, what does PEACH mean?

Eldrys
2010-04-15, 07:48 PM
For the class you could try Warlock. It's doesn't fit exactly right but it is kinda "evil" not as squishy as a Wizard, and it has a spiffy invocation "The Dead Walk" which is the exact same as Animate dead, but at will.

And just for your FYI, this should probably go in Role-playing Games

EvilJoe15
2010-04-15, 08:07 PM
Here's my thoughts:

Race: Human, with Winged Creature from Savage Species, and Bone Creature from BoVD(+2 LA Update from Leaflets of Triel).

Class: Warlock is okay, but cleric is better. A one level dip in Assassin will get you death attack, but you may want to pick up ability focus to bump the DC. Battle Sorcerer gets you Decent casting with D8 HD, and weapon, and armor profs.(You get to chose which weapon, and light armor)

Armor: Mythril breastplate with Twilight, and Thistledown padding. Best in the game, IMO.

Please Examine AND Critique Honestly

Lateral
2010-04-15, 08:10 PM
@ Ditto:
Really? I figured it was homebrewing. Anyway, I wasn't really looking for a guy who can command dead things- I wanted this build to be the one killing 'em in the first place. Still, Warlock seems like a good choice. Oh, I forgot alignment. Anyway, do Warlocks have any save-or-die powers? Are they any good in melee? What's their HD? Sorry for the question barrage, I'm not very good at this yet.

@Eviljoe: Thanks for the PEACH. I'm leaning more towards cleric than battle sorcerer because a battle sorcerer wouldn't be able to wield a scythe w/o spending a precious feat. Also, Destruction and Disintegrate are Destruction domain spells, right?
I'm assuming Winged creature grants wings. Is Bone creature an intelligent undead?
[No you can't get scythe, it's onehanded or light only. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#sorcererVariantBattleS orcerer)]
It is a martial just not 1-handed, but you're right. Actually I'm making it for my Tomb of Horrors-esque campaign, so I can house-rule it in anyway. BUT sorcerers can't get Destruction.

EvilJoe15
2010-04-15, 08:18 PM
Yes it can you get one free Martial weapon prof, and the scythe is martial.

Edit: Yes it is. And you keep winged flight, Bone just turns it into Supernatural flight. OH, I tought it was any martial weapon. You could ask the GM if he/she would allow it?

Tinydwarfman
2010-04-15, 08:24 PM
This is the homebrew forum. Either make your own grim reaper class or post this in the Roleplaying games forum.

On topic, I recommend a cleric with a lot of death effect spells.

Lateral
2010-04-15, 08:25 PM
This is the homebrew forum. Either make your own grim reaper class or post this in the Roleplaying games forum.

I would, but I dunno how to move it.

Tinydwarfman
2010-04-15, 08:28 PM
Also, stalwart sorcerer (cmp mage) gives an additional 2hp per level, and a martial weapon proficiency(no restrictions) unlike the battle sorcerer.

Lateral
2010-04-16, 06:30 AM
Oh, really? So stalwarts get d10 hd, martial prof. What makes them not way better than battle sorcerers?
And I think cleric is a better choice (more save-or-die spells than sorcerer). Maybe I'll houserule that my scythe can be my divine focus.

Lateral
2010-04-16, 07:20 PM
...Anyone got anything?

(beat)

Sigh...:sigh:

...Letting this die now.