PDA

View Full Version : To DM, or not to DM, that is the question.

Cealocanth
2010-04-15, 09:41 PM
Hi, I'm not new to DnD but this is the first time I'm actually considering sitting down and playing it. (I'm a big fan of fantasy RPGs and make and understand most DnD jokes thrown at me. I'm a geek without being a geek.) I am considering if i want to be the DM or not.

I have NO expierence under my belt but I have a head for storytelling and have a head for numbers. I also like to roleplay my own character. ( I am a player in IFGS, a LARP.) What should I do playgrounders?

Emerald
2010-04-15, 09:53 PM
Well, I'm new at the DM'ing myself.

What made me decide to 'go for it', was the lack of good story among the group I played with and the lack of fun we were having. So I threw my hat in the ring.

So you have a story?
Do you know who you are playing with and the grief they will give you?
Do you have the main books and what edition are you playing?
And is it fun?

No matter what the game or how good the story, if it's not fun you might as well burn it.:mitd:

ReluctantDragon
2010-04-15, 09:56 PM
Were I in your position, I would give it the simplest of tries. In the potential group, offer to run a one shot game. You can decide how close to the rules of actual D&D you want to stick. You have the option of running it by the book, or what would appeal to me were I in your shoes, a free-form game where its roleplay oriented and D&D flavoured. The idea of this type of game is let the player's imagination run wild and just enjoy collaborative storytelling in that atmosphere. If you find yourself enjoying it, begin the slow process of learning the rules(slow in order to fully understand them) and start creating characters, as this is a great way to understand the effects of the rules towards the players.

My couple o'kb.

Vitruviansquid
2010-04-15, 09:57 PM
The way I got into DM'ing was by playing in a group where I was dead certain I could be a better DM than our DM... >_>

In any case, I would highly recommend you play a system as a player before you try to take it on as a DM/GM/Keeper/Storyteller, etc. Aside from being able to pick up some neat tricks or solid house rules, you can also use your previous DM as a baseline to think about what you would or would not do.

Swordgleam
2010-04-15, 11:17 PM
If you can find someone else to DM, try being a player first. At the very least, you'll have a more solid grasp of the rules (and what makes things fun from a player's side). If, after playing for a while, you want to try DMing, go for it. Run a one-shot to see if you like it; if you do, run a campaign.

If you can't find someone else to DM, your question is answered. It's you or nothing.

vp21ct
2010-04-15, 11:24 PM
It's hard to DM. I'll say that much. And it can be dangerous.

In my group, I am a DM. That means more than I just run games, it means that the other guys EXPECT me to run games. And they expect to play in games.

It can be a rather vicious, self-defeating cycle, if your not careful.

Godskook
2010-04-15, 11:28 PM
Play first, is my advice.

huttj509
2010-04-15, 11:31 PM
DMing is HARD!

Helps if you know your players though. Though that brings its own problems. Set my GF, her sister, and dad through a plot twist, where they made the choice I really hoped they would and thus allowed the princess to be most easily re-kidnapped under their noses, and afterwards (they had found out) I couldn't resist doing the "it worked it worked" dance. And now they're finally actually motivated in the direction I wanted them to go rather than following kings orders etc. They wanna get that spoony bard who tricked them.

But yeah, a lot of work preparing fairly balanced encounters, statting important npcs as much as need be, planning the world, etc.

Melayl
2010-04-16, 01:26 AM
Read this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76474).

Delta
2010-04-16, 02:03 AM
DMing is HARD!

This. But it can also be very rewarding and fun.

Still, you have to begin somewhere, so I say give it a try. I can only add to the advice already given here, keep it simple to begin with, talk to your players, make sure that everyone is on the same page.

You don't have to know all the rules flawlessly, but if you, for example, don't know much about the magic rules, try to keep the magic in your campaign low rather than just making up stuff the way you feel like it, a common mistake I've found in newbie GMs. It just makes those players feel cheated who do know the rules and keep to them.

Amiria
2010-04-16, 02:21 AM
DMing is HARD!

Indeed, but still fun. You can be very creative there, especially if you develop your own adventures or even a whole campaign world.

That said, I DM since more than 10 years but I'm not a skillful DM, almost every other DM I played with is better than me. :smallfrown: But it is still fun ! Well, for me, my players might sometimes disagree. :smallredface:

Kosjsjach
2010-04-16, 05:41 AM
I am absolutely astounded no-one had done this yet, so I'll have to give it a go.

To DM or not to DM-- that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous monsters,
Or to take arms against a sea of Players
And, by opposing, end them.

I'm not creative or brave enough to continue.

In reply to the OP's question, I'd say go for it. You'll screw up for sure, but if you start things at level 1 and perhaps have someone to help you along, you'll get through and hopefully have fun.

Emmerask
2010-04-16, 05:49 AM
I would advise to play first too, but if you really feel you are up to the challenge make yourself some note cards with the basics rules for fights.

grapple Rules
Dispel checks
etc

or use one of the better dm screens where those basics are printed on the back :smallwink:

Delta
2010-04-16, 05:49 AM
In reply to the OP's question, I'd say go for it. You'll screw up for sure, but if you start things at level 1 and perhaps have someone to help you along, you'll get through and hopefully have fun.

That's what I'd recommend, too. Start low, and make sure to play with the players, not against them, while the latter might actually work quite well in D&D, it won't if the players know the game better than the GM.

vp21ct
2010-04-16, 05:59 AM

Sigged now.

Kosjsjach
2010-04-16, 06:09 AM
Sigged now.

Oh golly. :smallredface: It wasn't even very good.

vp21ct
2010-04-16, 06:12 AM
You kidding me, that's the best Shakespeare I've heard all semester. And from Hamlet no less. :P

On a side note, and to the OP/anyone who's checking in for advice. Becareful with the monsters you use.

8 zombies in an open field is not the same threat level as 8 zombies in a closed off, chocking, no escape hallway.

I ered on the open field side of that scale.

Thrawn4
2010-04-16, 10:14 AM
Oh golly. :smallredface: It wasn't even very good.

Yes it was. It resembles the soul of every DM.

Cealocanth
2010-04-16, 03:50 PM

That was wonderfull, and on my first real thread nonetheless.

Thank you for the advice all who have posted, I have already been GMing my own homebrew game for quite some time now but it is a game where everything, including the encounters you see is drawn in pencil on paper in my own crappy style. It's not nearly as hardcore as DnD.

I will continue to be a player in whatever DnD games I might get a chance to hop in on. I think I'll just sit back, pick up a set of dice, and enjoy the roleplaying experience untill I feel I'm up to forming my own group or asking my group If I could try to run the game a session or two.