PDA

View Full Version : Permanent Sun Blockage

Apollo1776
2010-04-15, 10:37 PM
So I was thinking of making a vampire character. They're fun and vampire-y. Only thing is, the rest of the party is not accustomed to uhh, traveling at night to suit these needs. Is there anyway I could have a permanent darkness or something?

Sunblock SPF 1000 might do the trick.

awa
2010-04-15, 10:41 PM
well you could get a magic item that can cast darkness but the problem is it's magic darkness not real darkness so your undead base dark vision wont work.

FoE
2010-04-15, 10:43 PM
Actually blot out the sun?

bartman
2010-04-15, 10:44 PM
you might want to consider a cursed item...

something like a cursed cloak of light.

there are some vampires in my group, and its too late to call now, but I can try and find out what they used exactly for you tomorrow

Geiger Counter
2010-04-15, 10:45 PM
A large umbrella?

Divide by Zero
2010-04-15, 10:48 PM
inb4 Iron Heart Surge

Kosjsjach
2010-04-15, 10:48 PM
Get a really big hat?

Alternatively, you could just use the Half-Vampire template from Libris Mortis and play up your vampiric tendencies. Sure, it has a +2 LA, but heck, you were ready to play a +8 LA vampire. Thumbs up for class levels.

Alternatively alternatively, you could play a half-vampire with a really big hat, and when opponents de-hat you in broad daylight and wait for you to burst into flames, laugh and eat them.

arguskos
2010-04-15, 10:49 PM
Get a pebble. Now, have someone cast darkness on it and then permanency it. Ta-da, you're fine.

Kosjsjach
2010-04-15, 10:52 PM
Get a pebble. Now, have someone cast darkness on it and then permanency it. Ta-da, you're fine.

Dispel Magic.
*sizzle*

QuantumSteve
2010-04-15, 10:52 PM
A Fog Cloud centered 30' directly above you.

arguskos
2010-04-15, 11:00 PM
Dispel Magic.
*sizzle*
Have two. Or ten. Or a really big one that you then just crush the other dude with, before whipping out another one from your Glove of Storing. :smalltongue:

Alternatively, ask your DM for one that can't be dispelled, so you can move around during the daytime.

awa
2010-04-15, 11:01 PM
darkness wasn't on the list of things you could make permanent
and he still cant see in it nor can his allies so he cant stand next to them with out messing them up as well

vp21ct
2010-04-15, 11:02 PM
Control Weather.

Divide by Zero
2010-04-15, 11:08 PM
Have two. Or ten. Or a really big one that you then just crush the other dude with, before whipping out another one from your Glove of Storing. :smalltongue:

Alternatively, ask your DM for one that can't be dispelled, so you can move around during the daytime.

Antimagic field.

JeminiZero
2010-04-15, 11:13 PM

On a related note: See if you can pick up warlock levels (and maybe go into a warlock PrC to advance your original character concept, whatever it was. E.g Eldritch Disciple if you aree a divine caster, or Eldritch Theurge if you are arcane).

2 Warlock will grant you 2 least invocations, so you can grab Darkness (usable at will) and Devil Sight (see through magical darkness). To minimize risk of dispel, spam Darkness on everything and anything you have. And when everything you are wearing has darkness on it, wear MORE things. :smalltongue: Remember, while you can only gain the benefit of 2 magical rings, nothing stops you from wearing another 20 or so mundane rings with darkness active on them.

Antimagic field.

Also get a shrink item giant cone-tin foil hat

vp21ct
2010-04-15, 11:17 PM
*sigh*

No really, have a magic item that basically gives you Control Weather, then use that Item to create an overcast sky ALL THE FREAKIN TIME.

It's not that hard, really.

PhoenixRivers
2010-04-15, 11:21 PM
Full body suit. You're only vulnerable to the sun if it touches your skin.

awa
2010-04-15, 11:25 PM
control weather item is going to be pretty expensive though

vp21ct
2010-04-15, 11:26 PM
He's a vampire wanting to walk out in the daytime. It AUGHT to be expensive.

Ellye
2010-04-15, 11:26 PM
Full body suit. You're only vulnerable to the sun if it touches your skin.Which, in this case, would happen in the first challenging fight you encounter, as any substantial damage to the body suit would probably expose at least a bit of skin.

Deth Muncher
2010-04-15, 11:29 PM
I know this has been said, but do like people IRL who are allergic to the sun and get a full body suit. There's the Hydration Suit in It's Hot Outside, which completely covers the skin. As a vamp, you wouldn't so much need the hydration, but still.

vp21ct
2010-04-15, 11:31 PM
There's also thematic merits to the Control Weather.

If dark clouds are litterally folowing you, that's a rather cool thing, right?

awa
2010-04-15, 11:36 PM
i don't know in dungeons and dragons most dms don't damage clothing you have to sunder attack armor or the damage somehow goes past the armor and into you.

it wasn't a dnd game and i never actually got to play it but i had a vampire wearing a trench coat a fedora a scarf and gloves with all that their is very little skin showing. But thats for an almost modern game in dnd your even better off

full plate armor has even less skin exposed then that

so actually thinking about it assuming clothing blocks the effects of sunlight (it is dnd logic doesn't always matter check with your dm first) just wearing clothing might be a viable alternative

Kosjsjach
2010-04-15, 11:38 PM
control weather item is going to be pretty expensive though

You're right, it is. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/WondrousItems.htm#orbofStorms)

vp21ct
2010-04-15, 11:42 PM
You're right, it is. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/WondrousItems.htm#orbofStorms)

that's not Control Weather, thats Storm of Vengeance, wich is a 9th level spell.

awa
2010-04-15, 11:46 PM
Your right you don't need that particular item it has unnecessary stuff attached but weather control is still a 7th level spell that's going to be a lot of your wealth

Kosjsjach
2010-04-15, 11:53 PM
that's not Control Weather, thats Storm of Vengeance, wich is a 9th level spell.

Once per month, but ok, fine. A custom continuous item of control weather would cost 13*7*2000=182'000gp.

awa
2010-04-15, 11:56 PM
would point out the spell has a long duration so just being able to cast it several times a day should be enough (still not advocating it as the solution to the problem just saying for fairness sake)

Irreverent Fool
2010-04-15, 11:58 PM
I would suggest playing a half-vampire as above. It's much more playable in general and if you're looking for a way to blot out the sun, I don't think you really want to play a full vampire anyway.

obnoxious
sig

vp21ct
2010-04-16, 12:01 AM
*shrugs* Maybe I'm just a slave for awesome thematic dealies.

And I've known several DMs who've let me have items well out of my reach because they didn't break too much, and were really, really cool.

awa
2010-04-16, 12:07 AM
no i totally agree its cool i have a evil vampire in a campaign (npc) who uses control weather to keep the land covered in fog or rain so he and his minions can hunt at their leisure it's just way out side an average pcs price range

Irreverent Fool
2010-04-16, 12:11 AM
*shrugs* Maybe I'm just a slave for awesome thematic dealies.

And I've known several DMs who've let me have items well out of my reach because they didn't break too much, and were really, really cool.

So you're more going for playing a character who can blot out the sun than a vampire? I was just figuring you'd rather not play a character with 1,001 weaknesses who is impotent against anyone who happens to take the time to carve a holy symbol out of wood.

You can play a half-vampire mechanically and still role-play a vampire.

Hmm. A covey of hags (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/hag.htm) can cast control weather three times a day at CL 9. Sea Hags are CR 4, so it wouldn't be unreasonable to hire a trio of them to keep the sky darkened for your daytime excursions. It seems thematically approriate as well, since vampires always seem to have other supernatural allies/minions.

Perhaps your character stole their hag eye.

obnoxious
sig

LibraryOgre
2010-04-16, 12:10 PM
Summon Avoozl.

Mastikator
2010-04-16, 12:41 PM
Can't you just wear clothes that cover your entire body? Or convince your friends to play races with darkvision, like dwarves and orcs and goblins. Hey, you're a freaking vampire, they can be ogres and frigging trolls and even liches, you'd still be the most monstrous.

Quellian-dyrae
2010-04-16, 04:17 PM
There's a first level spell in the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting called Cloak of Dark Power that protects the target and anything it carries from the effects of sunlight. It's minute/level, so a custom item of that continuous should be...4,000 gold I think? It's intended for drow, but the text is pretty specific that it just protects you from the effects of sunlight, so it should work fine for vampires.

Just_Ice
2010-04-16, 04:43 PM
Chariot with a sunroof.

Lord Denyuar
2010-04-16, 04:45 PM
I believe there is a vest in Libris Mortis that allows exactly what you are looking for. But I am away from books at the moment.

Darius Rae
2010-04-16, 04:46 PM
Step 1: Locate cave
Step 2: Become Vampire
Step 3: Wait in the cave until the sun runs out

or, you could help out the mind flayers in the whole put out the sun plot of theirs.

Draconi Redfir
2010-04-16, 04:53 PM
play a vampire that sparkles in the sunlight rather then burns? :P

vp21ct
2010-04-16, 04:58 PM

NO!! BAD!! BAD VAMPIRE!!

Divide by Zero
2010-04-16, 05:10 PM

That is precisely the opposite of what anyone should do, ever.

Cicciograna
2010-04-16, 05:13 PM
http://rortybomb.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/burns_sun.jpg

Ravens_Wing
2010-04-18, 02:39 PM

You sir are playing with Truely Evil forces.

Personally i would go with the 1/2 vamp out os Lib. Mort.
My brother plays one on a fairly regular basis and its a lot of fun.