PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] List of Ships by price?

Daeavorn
2010-04-16, 12:27 AM
I am making a swashbucker/dread pirate for a campaign and am wondering if there is a listing of ships by price since i need one of at least 10,000gp value.

vp21ct
2010-04-16, 12:32 AM
Do you have Stormwracked? That book helps alot.

Saintheart
2010-04-16, 12:33 AM
3.5 PHB, page 129.

Irreverent Fool
2010-04-16, 12:38 AM
{table]Goods or Services |Cost |Weight
Carriage |100 gp |600 lb.
Cart |15 gp |200 lb.
Galley |30,000 gp |—
Keelboat |3,000 gp |—
Longship |10,000 gp |—
Rowboat |50 gp |100 lb.
Oar |2 gp |10 lb.
Sailing ship |10,000 gp |—
Sled |20 gp |300 lb.
Wagon |35 gp |400 lb.
Warship |25,000 gp |—[/table]

Source: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsandservices.htm

If you have Stormwrack, there are more options. If you don't, you may find some listed at crystal keep, I'm not sure. But there's two options right there from the SRD/PHB. I suggest stealing one though. It's remarkably easy to do. :smallbiggrin:

Alternately, get a rowboat and attack a bunch of your misc. magical gear to it.

obnoxious
sig

vp21ct
2010-04-16, 12:41 AM
I recomend customizing ships as well.

No two ships are alike, and all are in differing states of repair and 'newness'

Munchkin-Masher
2010-04-16, 01:38 AM
You should get Arms and Equipments Guide, Though it is 3.0 it is still full of fun and games. If remember right there is even a submarine in there.

Irreverent Fool
2010-04-16, 02:40 AM
According to the Complete Warrior, pg. 159, a medium creature can wield an object of 50 pounds as a two-handed improvised weapon. A large creature doubles this number.

Anyway. Get yourself a shipwright/weaponsmith. Since a rowboat weighs 100 pounds, it qualifies as an improvised weapon for a large creature. Since it can be a weapon, it can be masterwork. Have him build you a masterwork rowboat. For fun, make it out of darkwood. The cost increases by 10g per pound of original weight. Darkwood items must be masterwork, so add another 300g.

50g + 1,000g + 300g = 1,350g for a masterwork darkwood rowboat.

Darkwood items weight half as much as a regular wooden item of the same sort, so your rowboat now weights 50 pounds. It's light enough to use as an improvised weapon.

Get your masterwork darkwood rowboat enchanted. A +2 enchantment costs 8,000g and increases the boat's hardness by 4 and its HP by 20. I have to check Stormwrack, pg. 102 for the normal hardness and HP which are 5 and 30. Darkwood has the same hardness and HP as normal wood so now your +2 darkwood rowboat has a hardness 9 and HP 50. That's as much HP as a full-sized ship and nearly twice as durable.

1,350g + 8,000g = 9,350g

The unguent of timelessness (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicitems/wondrousitems.htm#unguentofTimelessness) costs 150g per jar. One flask contains enough to coat up to eight medium objects and a large object counts as two medium objects. (According to Stormwrack, pg. 102, a 5' x 10' rowboat is large), so we can reasonably assume these applications will increase the cost of the boat by a proportional amount. That's 37g 5s. Your boat now has a +1 resistance bonus on all saving throws, which is handy.

9,350g + 37g 5s = 9,387g 5s

A rowboat needs oars to go anywhere and as such those could reasonably be considered part of the boat. Oars cost 2g and weight 10lb. If we make them masterwork (improvised weapon) darkwood oars, they cost 402g and weight 5lb. You'll need a pair, of course.

9,387g 5s + 804g = 10,191g 5s

And now you have yourself a 50lb rowboat that you can swing around at -2 (improvised weapon -4, +2 bonus) that deals a base 2d6+2 damage but more importantly you have a very durable little boat that you can actually carry around and that's expensive enough to qualify you for your PrC!

This only uses core rules. The stuff from Stormwrack and Complete Warrior are merely extrapolations of what's covered in the SRD.

obnoxious
sig

HunterOfJello
2010-04-16, 02:44 AM
Stormwrack
Arms & Equipment Guide
Seafarer's Handbook

Divide by Zero
2010-04-16, 02:46 AM
Irreverent Fool, you are my hero.

Kosjsjach
2010-04-16, 03:36 AM
Amusingly, a folding boat (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/WondrousItems.htm#boatFolding) costs 2'800gp less than the sailing ship it can emulate. Now that's value.

Fizban
2010-04-16, 04:08 AM
I'll second that vote for A&EG: the smaller airship is 35,000gp. That's still crazy expensive compared to seafaring ships, but if you try to make a normal boat fly it's not gonna happen for less than 100,000gp unless you're casting spells on it yourself (I remember one group that permanently animated their ship, then gave it Wings of Flying). For some reason the smaller ship is slower, but some cheap upgrades from Stormwrack should fix that, or you could go for broke and by full sized Dirigible for ~60,000. The balloon counts as rigging, and while it's pretty fragile, it shouldn't be any trouble at all to make it ridiculously hard to pop with the right spell or item. See if you can get the armor plating upgrades, which are just as legal for the flying ships, to cover the ballon instead of the hull.

Seriously. Why be a sea pirate when you can be an air pirate?

Kosjsjach
2010-04-16, 05:19 AM
If we're dealing with cut-price air transport now, it's hard to beat the economy of your own flying zombie mount (as demonstrated in SilverClawShift's infamous campaign journal). It requires you to be the one animating it (or at the very least cast command undead every few days), but that's all the initial cost and upkeep they'll ever need.

Irreverent Fool
2010-04-22, 03:59 PM
If we're dealing with cut-price air transport now, it's hard to beat the economy of your own flying zombie mount (as demonstrated in SilverClawShift's infamous campaign journal). It requires you to be the one animating it (or at the very least cast command undead every few days), but that's all the initial cost and upkeep they'll ever need.

You don't happen to have a link to that, do you?

obnoxious
sig

Roc Ness
2010-04-22, 05:43 PM
Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116836), Mr. Irrevevent Fool. It's the second story, under the chapter/section titled Undead Mounts.

Now. If you want ships, and you open up Stormwrack, may I suggest you purchase a Pinnace? It's a decent sized ship that can go pretty much anywhere, and an average adventuring party of 4 could be all the crew that the ship needs. I think it costs a little bit less than 10000gp, though, so you could tag a magic item to it.

Irreverent Fool
2010-04-22, 05:54 PM
Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116836), Mr. Irrevevent Fool. It's the second story, under the chapter/section titled Undead Mounts. Thank you.

Now. If you want ships, and you open up Stormwrack, may I suggest you purchase a Pinnace? It's a decent sized ship that can go pretty much anywhere, and an average adventuring party of 4 could be all the crew that the ship needs. I think it costs a little bit less than 10000gp, though, so you could tag a magic item to it.

Or make it out of darkwood. :smallbiggrin:

obnoxious