PDA

View Full Version : Got Lego?

RandomNPC
2010-04-16, 03:37 AM
Hello Everyone. This will only be mildly rantish, I promice. (I think)

So about eight years ago, maybe nine, I purchased the origonal bionicle heros from lego. In the time that has passed I've lost exactly one peice. Usually you can just take a peice from another set and you just can't play with those two at the same time, but the bionicle is the only one I've seen with gears.

Now I've got a son who loves the idea of little lego guys, and I contacted lego about getting this part replaced. I've found the item in a different color in the lego shop, got the item number, and filled out an offical form listing not only the physical description of the gear, but the lego shop information as well, with two different alpha numeric codes. It even makes special note of the color change from 8-9 years ago.

two e-mails later, trying to give more information about the gear (It's a tiny gear, what else is there? I've already given all the info they do in the store) and I don't even know if they plan to ship it out to me because I've got the old bionicle set, or if they plan on charging me the $0.20 from the lego store.

[/rant]

sorry bout that. So, who loves them some lego?

Eldan
2010-04-16, 03:43 AM
Oh, Legos, my poor Legos.

See, as a kid I loved legos. For years and years, my christmas and birthday presents had to be Legos. Space legos, pirate legos, medieval legos. I had a bookshelf full of lego boxes, and larger boxes stacked under my bed (which was about 1.5m off the ground). I had my ground covered in lego castles and spaceships (usually fighting each other).

And then, when I was about 14, I thought Legos were no longer cool when colleagues from my class came over. So, in a moment of weakness, I sold all my tons and tons of old Legos for a hundred bucks.

Whyyyyyyyyyy?

Serpentine
2010-04-16, 04:33 AM
Wow. That'd be worth a lot too. Man. I wish I'd known you then. I would've fleeced you :smallwink:
Dr Mum used to get Lego tax-deductabe "for the waiting room" to her surgery at home. Well, they did go in the waiting room, but it was also our house, so, you know... Anyway, we ended up with several hundred dollars worth. I suspect we don't have all that we did have, but it's still a pretty neat collection.

Yarram
2010-04-16, 05:18 AM
I... Never had lego as a child... I only had that giant Duplo stuff... :smallfrown:

KjeldorMage
2010-04-16, 05:35 AM
Make great NPC's for D and D/Warhammer 40k games. Buildings and cover too.

Ecks Dee
2010-04-16, 05:38 AM
Bionicle's 9 years old? Daaaaamn. I feel old.

Slizers 4 lyfe, man.

Astrella
2010-04-16, 05:41 AM
Slizers!
Heh, I took em out of the cupboard again last year and rebuilt all of em for nostalgia's sake. :smallsmile:

And after my last year of secondary school, my brother was still studying for a few days after I had finished. Couldn't make too much noise, so I rebuilt most of my old lego stuffs. :smallbiggrin:

Serpentine
2010-04-16, 05:41 AM
I... Never had lego as a child... I only had that giant Duplo stuff... :smallfrown:I had a red "Duplo rabbit" bag. I wonder what happened to it...

Thursday
2010-04-16, 05:54 AM
Mwahahahaha! I still have all of mine.. boxes and boxes of the stuff.

Sorry. Never selling that, my Kids will thank me, if they ever exist..
(and they prise it from my still grasping hands..)

Yarram
2010-04-16, 06:19 AM
I had a red "Duplo rabbit" bag. I wonder what happened to it...

Your mother probably gave it to a relative behind your back. I would play with that stuff if I still had it.

Serpentine
2010-04-16, 07:10 AM
Probably not a relative (my youngest cousins on her side we hardly ever talk to anymore (stoopid Uncle Stewart :smallannoyed:)), but it's quite possible she got rid of it. But, it's also possible it's in the cupboard with the other toys she's kept, or it went to my nephew (and possibly elsewhere from there)... Hrm... I kept a teddy my first ever (half) boyfriend gave me in that rabbit...

Linkavitch
2010-04-16, 10:24 AM
Last approximate count: 2500.

Syka
2010-04-16, 10:41 AM
Oz just found all of his old legos.

Including an unopened Star Wars lego set.

We're going to be having fun. :smallamused:

CMOTDibbler
2010-04-16, 10:51 AM
I have accumulated so many lego sets over the years, my collection is uncountable. I've been playing with legos since I was 6, and I still do. They're so much fun! :smallbiggrin:

ClockShock
2010-04-16, 10:59 AM
I ended up giving all of mine away ('twas only fair, i was given most of mine anyway)

However, i did spend a couple of days making sure it was (mostly) all there and "working correctly"

That was a good weekend.

pinwiz
2010-04-16, 11:05 AM
Last summer, my girlfriend worked at a toy store. Naturally they had legos. :smallbiggrin: Every time i went in there, which was naturally a lot, i would go stare at the lego sets they had. The comedy of this finally hit when i was standing next to a little kid and we both had the same look on our faces. I'm 19 :smallbiggrin: Woulda been funnier if i was 30 or something, but still. Kids are so darn lucky.

yeah.... Legos are awesome.

The Librarian
2010-04-16, 11:45 AM
God I love legos. I've been collecting them since I was like 5 or 6. I used to have a massive Bionicle collection up until a year ago as well as a massive Death Star lego that took me and my brother 3 months to build going off and on. Unfortunately, we gave away the Bionicles and the Death Star was destroyed after it fell off the table in my computer room.

It was very devastating:smallfrown:

Currently, I have a large Star Wars collection, a box of lego pieces that I could build about anything with when I'm bored, and a massive Mars Mission Lego set that I have spent an entire afternoon setting up a battle scene with. I swear, I will never get rid of them...maybe:smalltongue:

Player_Zero
2010-04-16, 11:51 AM
All I ever built was spaceships...

You could build a Turing machine out of it though. That'd be pretty cool.

Castaras
2010-04-16, 12:03 PM
I dunno how much my family's lego set is worth. It took up around 3/4 1.5m-shelf-worth of space, or something like that.

Although we cheated. Half of it is the stuff me and my brother got, the other half is from dad's family and their lego sets when they were kids(3 little boys, therefore loooads of lego. :smallwink:). :smallbiggrin:

Elder Tsofu
2010-04-16, 12:06 PM
Lego, oh boy. I have all mine stored in a large box in my parents attic.
And it will stay there until I reclaim it at an appropriate time. :smallbiggrin:

Been to lego-land? Amazing stuff people can do with it when you work with it and have an unlimited supply.

Mando Knight
2010-04-16, 12:13 PM
Last approximate count: 2500.

Dollars, or bricks?

Over the last 20 years, my family has probably accumulated several thousand dollars' worth of LEGO, with the rough estimate of piece count at over 100000.

Also! Protip: for random pieces you're missing, check here (http://www.bricklink.com/). You can search based on type, color, size, or even piece index number (each LEGO piece has a number stamped on it somewhere that indicates precisely what it is).

Flickerdart
2010-04-16, 12:18 PM
I have two drawers of Lego here, and probably one or two more back in Moscow. Haven't played with it in years, though.

Frozen_Feet
2010-04-16, 12:20 PM
Last year, during free time from the army, me and my brother dug all our Legos from the basement, cleaned them, assorted them and divided them into two equally sized piles to take with us once we get apartments of our own. We were saddened when we realized how many pieces had gotten lost overall - there used to be so many! Clearly, when I get kids, I'll use that as an excuse to fill the gaps in my brick collection.

Mando Knight
2010-04-16, 12:46 PM
assorted them

Why would you do that? Unless you mean you sorted them... assorted means that it's not sorted.

Frozen_Feet
2010-04-16, 12:56 PM
I checked my dictionary, and funnily enough "assorted" seems to be one of those words that can mean two opposite things at once. "Assort" (Verb) = to sort out or arrange according to characteristic or class, imperfect "Assorted". "Assorted" (Adjective) = miscelannelous, mixed, comprised of multiple types.

Thursday
2010-04-16, 01:08 PM
Been to lego-land? Amazing stuff people can do with it when you work with it and have an unlimited supply.

Yeah, the Danish one twice, and the British one twice too, (EDIT: could have been three).. happy memories! I still have a legoland driving certificate somewhere, something to do with small electric buggies IIRC

Accursed thread! now I can't stop thinking about getting it all out of the attic and building something.. and I'm nearly 30 and refuse to grow up.

Dogmantra
2010-04-16, 01:23 PM
Now I desperately want vast reserves of Lego for playing with. It would help me procrastinate even more.

hamishspence
2010-04-16, 01:27 PM
I have pleasant memories of constructing Lego Star Destroyers (about 3 ft long) before any of the Star Wars official lego models started coming out.

They were very multicoloured.

Good times... :smallsmile:

Deathslayer7
2010-04-16, 02:12 PM
We had a small suitcase of compiled legos. Man that was fun when I was young. Always used to make my room a mess though. :smallbiggrin:

But now that I'm older we gave it away to my younger cousin (whose turning 4 this year) and gave it to him to play with. Soon he'll know what legos are as well.

Gotta make sure he doesnt swallow them. :smallwink:

Ilena
2010-04-16, 02:14 PM
It saddens me to report that there was a box about 6ft tall and about 5ft square that i found at a garage sale that my parents refused to buy me :( so much lego ....

Beholder1995
2010-04-16, 02:25 PM
I love Legos. My room has a whole wall lined with the glorious little things, and I'll be up there for hours on end just sifting through boxes looking for the perfect obscure piece to embellish whatever creation I'm putting together. If you ask me, Legos are easily the greatest building toy ever devised and it's for this reason that I'm proud of my Danish heritage.

I still get 'em as presents, too. :smallbiggrin:

ForzaFiori
2010-04-16, 08:47 PM
I have an old Army footlocker (about...4'x2'x2') pretty much full of legos. Makes me sad though, since we used to have like twice that. My best fiend also had about the same amount, and we would combine our collections sometimes and build some huge stuff.

Mando Knight
2010-04-16, 09:57 PM
My best fiend also had about the same amount, and we would combine our collections sometimes and build some huge stuff.

I thought they only had Mega Bloks in Hell... :smallconfused:
:smalltongue:

Trog
2010-04-16, 10:01 PM
I still have -every- Lego set I have ever gotten ever since I was a very little kid (pre-minifigs, even). I gave them all to my sons and they've added their sets to it as well. All told we have a 2 ft. x 3 ft. x 4.ft container full of all the parts. Every now and then we drag them out and make something. The latest creations has been making a rubber band powered Lego gun that really fires bricks across the room and a scale model of a tower that my DnD group was attacking during the last couple of playing sessions. I don't think my sons play with them nearly as much as I did when I was a kid, though.

BizzaroStormy
2010-04-16, 10:58 PM
Legos are just like life. You spend a few years pushing that one piece to the side, only to spend another lifetime desperately searching for it.

Amiel
2010-04-17, 06:24 AM
I love Lego (yes folks, that is present tense); I am deeply saddened that I am unable to and cannot find my Lego (which may very well be stored somewhere, possibly in our workshop; yes that is an actual, separate room apart from the main house). It could be an adventure just to find the blocks.

I like building with Lego, although I like admiring the photos of built Lego in those catalogues more; Lego is one of more brilliant inventions of humanity, and to think it all came from petroleum.

Shas aia Toriia
2010-04-17, 06:05 PM
Isn't the plural of Lego, Lego? As in, no 'S'?

'Cause Legos as a word really bugs me.

Mando Knight
2010-04-17, 06:40 PM
Isn't the plural of Lego, Lego? As in, no 'S'?

'Cause Legos as a word really bugs me.

Technically, it's something like LEGO brand building blocks, but whatever.

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2010-04-17, 06:46 PM
Oh, I had me some LEGO adventures not long ago. You see, when I moved from AZ to KS, I discovered that one of my housemates is an absolute nut for taking a number of LEGO sets and making original things with them. I'm talking about complicated space ships with moving parts...the works!

Well, I hadn't played with LEGOs in DECADES, so this was an excuse to sit and fiddle with all of the pieces he has lying around. I had so much fun that I didn't realize hours had gone by. What's more, my hands were exhausted, but in a good way. It meant that I had been working my hands, rebuilding a bit of strength and coordination. My new excuse for playing with LEGO was that it was physical therapy. :smallbiggrin:

I got curious and went to the official LEGO web site to see what, if anything, I might be interested in getting of my own. I mean, I can play with my housemates toys, but he's going to want them back eventually. Lo and behold, there was a free program you could download to build your own whatever-you-wanna-call-'ems. Once you build it on your computer, you could price it up, as well as have LEGO print an instruction manual.

This looked like just too much fun! Since I found using the 2 x 8 blocks easiest to work with, I used the program to price 300 of those very pieces. The breakdown was 100 white, 100 black, and 100 red. And when I asked the program to price it for me...it was close to $100! :smalleek:

Refusing to be daunted by this, I wrote to LEGO. I explained what I was using their product for, namely building strength and coordination in my decrepit hands, and asked if there was some way they could HELP me buy what I wanted.

Their answer was that they only donate to organizations, not individuals (makes sense), and that if I wanted, I could take advantage of their holiday special, which would allow for free shipping for a purchase of $100 or more. "If you spend just a few dollars more than you already planned, the shipping will be free!" Great. Just great.

With other things now demanding my financial attention, mainly my disastrous, diabetic gum disease, my dreams of having LEGOs around for a little physical therapy have faded to nothing. :smallfrown:

And that, dear friends, is my most recent LEGO adventure.

Vaynor
2010-04-17, 07:25 PM
Man I love Lego. I got a huge box of them from my older cousin when I was little, and combined with the sets I bought my collection is quite massive. They're currently hiding under my bed and in the attic, I should really take them out again.

Atelm
2010-04-18, 02:07 AM
We still have pretty much all the Lego me and my brother had as wee little children. I haven't touched them in ages though.