PDA

View Full Version : Guerrilla War: Thay IC, group 2

ShotgunPete
2010-04-16, 09:17 AM
The three of you have been riding for some time now, as well as a dwarf guide who calls himself Gregor, having gathered East of Thay and making final arrangements with an elderly priest by the name of Morton, a cleric of Kossuth and member of the secret order within the church known as the order of the Illuminating Flame. As the second largest power in Thay and only group the Red Wizards cannot openly war with or discriminate against, the church's leaders clandestinely attempt to wrest power from their dominating and enslaving grasp and lead the people of Thay to a brighter future under the Flame Lord. You finalized you contract, though vague for a legal document, to cause general havoc in Thay, assassinate important figures, and to disrupt the economy in any way possible. Your reward: bounties for every wizard killed, 10,000 gold each up-front, and a bag of magic items to help you in your task.

You make your way to the gates of Chur Gathos, earning a suspicious eye from the guards being so heavily armed, but you state your purpose as heading to Delhumide to explore the ruins and hand over the recommendation the priest gave you from the Church of Kossuth, and they let you by without much trouble.

Another day of travel with the River Gauros at your left and the foothills of the Sunrise Mountains at your left leads you to the bridge across the river heading west to Delhumide, and 3 days of travel west to Umratharos which is the launching point of adventurers into the ruins, as well as the home to a few Red Wizards. The foothills are an excellent place to scout the road and observe travelers for ambush, as well as an excellent place to retreat to. With your adventuring pass, you're also not bound by the roads as long as your in the Delhumide region, so you can explore or head to the ruins or do whatever. If you head to town and at Umratharos and gather information you'll be able to find any Red Wizards living in the surrounding area and work on stalking them, and from there you can head north to the major port city of Surthay where the, or south to Keluthar, which is a minor port but the tharchion of Delhumide lives there. Across Lake Thaylambar to the south is also the capitol of Eltabbar, home of the slave trade in Thay, and where another tharchion lives.

Let me know which way we're headed, or if we're staying here to get your feet wet jacking important looking people on the road. :smallsmile:

Calenestel
2010-04-16, 10:54 AM
As soon a the group is well out of sight as well as hearing from the border check point, the only woman in the group, a beautiful, dark haired human in what seem to be a set of dark, studded leather, speaks up, twisting in the saddle for a good view around as she does so: "So, we're in then. And with no fuss to speak about. That's good, but now where? I am most used to find and fight people in cities and towns, not along the roads and in the wilderness. But if any of you have enough ken of such things it might be the best place to start. There's no guardsmen on patrol here and with no scrying available for our enemies we could keep it up for a little while before drawing any heat on us. ARE any of you ackomplished foresters?" To Catrina's mind either of the two could fit that bill. The elf was obviously a mage of some sort, but still an elf. And the other man had just the kind of ruggedness that she asosciated with woodcraft.

Krennel
2010-04-16, 11:37 AM
Leon strokes his stubble, he has not shaven since entering Thay, as he did not when he came here some years ago. He runs the hand through his blonde hair as he answers the elf's question.
"I have been living here for a number of years, both as a slave and a warrior against the wizards. I held this office before it was so popular. We should establish ourselves in the local area as friends, possibly traders, so that we may get any information or supplies e need more easily. This will be aided if we take a trader on the road and assume their identity.
For this purpose, we should head past the town we intend to infiltrate, and take a trader on the road, who is on his way there. We question him quietly, and if he is not suitable, say being a native of the town we wish to take, we can eliminate him. If he is suitable, see last instructions, with the caveat of being able to take their identity and cart and move into town to trade, with the others being his or her "Bodyguards"."
He jerks his right hand, revealing a small dagger just above his fist. It gleams in the sunlight, and he jerks his fist a second time causing the dagger to slide back into it's hiding place.

rypt
2010-04-16, 12:07 PM
OOC: Calenestel's character is a human! :smallwink:
Cael stirs awkwardly, chuckling lightly to himself and struggling to keep his balance as he turns sideways in his saddle to face his dark-haired companion. It is clear he is not an experienced rider.

"Forrester? Hardly!" he laughs. "No, my talents lie in the arts arcane," he says with a smile. Righting himself, the elf glances briefly down at his stirrups, making sure nothing has come loose in his advanced saddle-turn maneuver. Satisfied, his attention shifts to the surrounding lands.

"No fuss indeed. Gregor does seem to have done his job admirably," he says, clearly doubting that to be the dwarf's true name.

At Leon's suggestion, Cael begins to fumble with one hand as he searches for his bag containing a map of Thay. He sighs audibly, giving up once he realizes he'd probably fall off his horse if he tried to read it. "We are just east of Umratharos, yes?"

Krennel
2010-04-16, 12:12 PM
Leon seems to be gliding rather than riding, as he points out where they are on the map.
"We are there. I can get you anywhere in thay without risk of being lost."

Calenestel
2010-04-16, 12:18 PM
Satisfied that she had placed her two companions correctly the darkhaired woman looks again to the road ahead. Unlike the elf she seem rather comfortable in the saddle, compared to him it would almost seem like she was born into it. Calmly she retrieves her own copy of the map, gauging the distance in comparison with how far they'd already traveled. "Just east of... Well, I guess that is a relative term, but yes. A couple of days ride. So what say you, arcane master Elf? I think Leon's plan sounds like a good idea. But do you have anything to add?"

rypt
2010-04-16, 12:47 PM
Cael is silent for a moment as he considers the plan. "Well, I would certainly welcome the burden of coin a merchant's wealth would bring, but I am tentative to make his identity our own and more so to make friends with any Thayans. What if I should find one I like?" he jokes, his voice dripping with sarcasm. "As adventurers, we are nameless foreigners veiled in obscurity. We would be risking much by making our faces so well-known."

Calenestel
2010-04-16, 01:11 PM
"You might be right... But having several different sets of identities could always come in handy later. At least if we leave Delhumide. I'd say that we try to get our hands on several sets of identities. With some proper uses of disguises noone would have any reason to connect our different personas." Catrina continues to scan her surroundings as they continue their discussion, only looking to the elf at short intervals. She seem to expect trouble, but then again, she had seemed like that since they had been first introduced to each other.

Krennel
2010-04-16, 01:37 PM
Leon shifts so he is sitting side saddle, facing the two.
"We aren't making ourselves known, and if we do our jobs right we won't make the merchants known. Plus it would give us an actual reason to leave the area shortly after an attack. With a simple disguise we could slip in and out without anybody knowing the merchants are really the terrorists."
He chuckles lightly at the thought.

rypt
2010-04-16, 02:47 PM
While Catrina scans the horizon, weary of danger, Cael seems, by all appearances, utterly unconcerned. "Hah!" The elf smirks. "I can see I am out-numbered." He attempts to raise both hands in mock surrender, but manages only to wobble momentarily as he almost falls off his horse. Grasping for the reigns, he recovers quickly then glances towards Leon, nodding his approval. "I will trust your plan," he says smiling genuinely, his voice free of doubt or bitterness.

Krennel
2010-04-16, 03:10 PM
Leon grabs the reigns from Cael. "Let me guide your horse for now." He gives him his best friendly smile.
Well I think we are good, so let's head out.

Krennel
2010-04-17, 07:58 PM
"Comrads!" Leon cries, breaking the silence. "We need a name for our group, something to striek fear into our enemies. Any propositions?"

rypt
2010-04-17, 09:03 PM
"A name..." Cael nods as his voice fades into silent contemplation. "Names are tricky things. After all, what is more frightening than that which is unknown?" He pauses for a moment, losing himself in thought once again. "I say, if we are to be named, let our name be given by the Thayans -- let it be a name wrought of their fear of our blades and of our spellfire." Despite the wicked promise inherent in his words, Cael smiles the same broad smile that has so often accompanied harmless witticisms and friendly banter.

Krennel
2010-04-17, 11:02 PM
"Perhaps not a name to fear then, perhaps a name we can rally behind ourselves. It will give us pride, when our enemies call us something unoriginal, trying to downplay their own fears."

Calenestel
2010-04-17, 11:32 PM
"A name? I'd say no." The darkhaired woman never looks away from her guard this time, doesn't look at her comrades, and her voice is cool and detached. "Whatever name we chose it would sooner or later reach the ears of our enemies, and then they would have an insight into our way of thinking. However slight that insight that may be you may be sure that in a realm of wizards there will be those intelligent enough to glean knowledge of us from it. Which would be a step towards our downfall. If our enemies name us then let us use it. But until then I'd say that silence will serve us best."

At that she looks to the two men, her eyes cool and her face impassive. It doesn't seem that she disapproves of their reasoning or tries to offend anyone. She just seem cooly detached from discussions like this, participating without experiencing any passionate feelings in the matter. "Considering how badly outnumbered we are I'd rather err on the side of caution, no?"

Krennel
2010-04-17, 11:35 PM
Leon laughs and rides up next to Catrina. "You comrade, are no fun." He says, laughing harder than before.
He proclaims, "Their thousand to our three, are good odds indeed!"

Calenestel
2010-04-17, 11:46 PM
This time there might be some slight, cool disapproval in her eyes and voice as she looks at the boisterous woodsman,."I'd very much prefer 'not fun' to 'not alive', thank you very much. I've gone after targets more powerful than I, surrounded by formidable forces, enough times to learn from the experience. Sooner or later we are going to start operating INSIDE wizard controlled cities. Our success, and survival, will be a direct consequence of how little information we give our enemies."

Krennel
2010-04-18, 12:01 AM
Leon simply laughs harder, till he's afraid he'll fall off his horse from all the laughter.
"Your right about one thing," He says, composing himself, "It does matter how much information we supply them." He taps his skull with his finger a couple of times, giving the distinct impression he is under the influence of any number of substances. "You see, I have a cunning plan,"He continues, almost certainly followed by a bad idea, "We outright make up things about our little group, so if the wizards discover anything, it is comletely useless. It is called misinformation. A handy little trick I picked up living out here for the past six years. After all, for most diving spell you need a name, or a face, or some kind of quirk, or a combination of each."

rypt
2010-04-18, 01:47 AM
Cael considers Leon's laughter utterly distasteful and the elf's expression sours rapidly. "Friend," he begins, his voice is stern, the least friendly it has sounded since the trio arrived in Thay. "Perhaps your years of loneliness have dulled your wits and robbed you of your manners. Such ill-conceived notions are patronizing at best and dangerous at worst."

Krennel
2010-04-18, 01:59 AM
Leon hang his head slightly. "Sorry comrade, I fear you may be right."

rypt
2010-04-18, 02:24 AM
Cael sighs heavily, an uncomfortable mixture of relief and regret. "I accept your apology," he says, glancing briefly to Catrina in hopes that she will do the same. "And I trust, at least, that those years have honed your blade," he adds, a slight grin returning to his face.

Krennel
2010-04-18, 02:38 AM
Leon grins in return. "Depends on which blade you are talking about Comrade. I can hit a man reliably with my bow from over a thousand paces. My crossbow much less so, but it can be used from a prone position, with great accuracy even when hidden." He gestures to the sword at his hp, and in the same gesture flips out the small broad dagger hidden above his right fist, the sound startling the horse. "With these I have few equals, the sword is specially crafted to destroy Demons, gargoyles, and other such creatures.
What about you?" Leon asks as nonchalantly as possible though his pride in his arsenal shines through.

rypt
2010-04-19, 01:15 PM
Cael chuckles, amused both by Leon's meager attempt at modesty and by the inordinate number of weapons the young human bears. "Me? Oh, I am but a lowly wizard and I carry but a single blade," he laments facetiously, eying the elegant and distinctly elven scabbard that hangs at his side -- far too fine a scabbard not to hold a sword that is drawn regularly. I do know a few tricks, though... It takes a moment to notice that Cael's lips do not move as speaks, his words manifesting themselves directly into the minds of his two companions.

Calenestel
2010-04-19, 01:47 PM
At Leon's declaration of his skills Catrina sniffs silently, barely perceptible, and rolls her eyes. Slightly amused without really showing it and maybe a little more annoyed, which is also more obvious. Men. She fills the silent word with no small amount of scorn, and is ready to extend the feeling to elven men as well when Cael answers. If they don't brag they pretend to humility and end up all the more prideful. M- But suddenly she realized that the elf hadn't said the last part aloud and starts slightly. He hadn't cast any spells, not that she had noticed, to explain his telepathic message! He was either very good, better than she had thought, or... Or what? Are you one of those mindmages that crop up from time to time, elf? A psionicist? Not speaking her query aloud is a way for her to test him, see how far his gifts stretch. And that leads her to her second realization: He must have heard any previous thought as well. That could be... problematic. The assassin watches the mage intently while they ride on. Looking for clues as to how much, and what, he had gleaned from her.

Krennel
2010-04-19, 05:31 PM
Leon takes note of Catrina's expression of surprise, and while startled himself he switches to laughter instead.
" If he were your enemy comrade, you would surely be at a disadvantage. did you not read each of our dossiers when our employers set our groups?" Leon does his best to block his mind from his elven friend, hopping he won't notice the blatant lie, or if he does, that he won't mention it.