PDA

View Full Version : Ever kept an IC log of a game?

oxinabox
2010-04-16, 10:50 AM
So I've been thinking about logging a game for a while.
I came very close to logging a nWoD:ctl game (I mostly cos one session was so awesome i spontaniosly wrote a log of all events).
and So now i've started a new game(IRL) (I'm invloide in so few games right now... only 3 weekly and 1 every cople of months)
and My character is the sort of guuy who would keep a log.
So I've been keeping a log for him. (IC he sits down every night and writes it).

So far I'm getting close to finishing writing the prologue session logs.
(I had 5 prologue sessions in a week with the gm (and occationally on other player. cos our characters had been around alot longers (2 months)) than any of the others.

The logs are really cool, cos well this character never shows his true emotions. He acts like a Hard Arse Drill Sargent, but really that's cos he thinks that's the ponyl way to lead. With out the journal no one would ever see his actual feeligns on anything.

So has anyone else ever done a IC log?
How many pages did you do per session?
how many did you do all up?

the Logging is taking me along time, but that's cos well we did massive of stuff in the prologue sessions.

p1 - 3 pages
p2- 3 pages
p3 - 2 pages
p4 - 11 pages
p5 - 5 pages and still working on it.

I'm hopping i'll have caught up and have logged the first session by tuesday, when the next session is.
Full sessions generally should have shorted logs - as you do less than you do in sessions when there are only a few players (instead of the full 6 in this case).
On the other hand with more players my character has alot mor thoughts flying around about each of them.

when it's done i think i might have it printed and bound in a spirlex binder.
actualyl i'might have it binded before then, I want to give a copy to a friend who is will probably end up RPing a NPC occationaly.
It's going to be massive by the time hte game is finished.

so any0one else ever done this?
Care to share any thoughts?

vampire2948
2010-04-16, 10:52 AM
They happen fairly frequently. People post IC Journals of their characters.
You can likely find many such Journals in the Roleplaying Forum.

If you're only asking if our actual characters have kept a diary IC, then yes, I did it once with an Artificer of mine.

Yukitsu
2010-04-16, 10:56 AM
I keep IC notes for my characters that either have diaries or whom have ridiculously good memories as a trait. Other than that I don't bother. I mostly use them to remember important plot points.

Irreverent Fool
2010-04-16, 11:04 AM
In the campaign I currently run, I keep a journal of important events. That is, the 'leader' PC's cohort keeps a journal of important events. In-character.

It helps me keep the NPC's personality consistent as well as giving me a guide to important plot points.

In the game I'm currently playing in, I'm trying to have my PC keep a daily journal because usually when we play we get into the "Why were we doing this again?" and discussing previous adventures while the DM tries hard not to facepalm at our imperfect recall.

For campaign journals, I find it easier to do them in-character and that doing so helps build the personality of the character.

I also find that it is a royal pain to try and 'make up' journal entries. Try to write them after each session and take notes during long sessions.

obnoxious
sig

Saph
2010-04-16, 11:06 AM
I did an in-character diary for one of my long-running characters once, mostly because it fit the character's personality very well (she was an elven wizard, and a teenager in elf years). It ended up snowballing and by the time the campaign ended the diary was about 50,000 words long.

It can be fun to do, but takes a lot of time.

valadil
2010-04-16, 11:18 AM
I have and it was awesome. I've only done it for 2-3 characters, but they ended up as the best I've played. If only I had that kind of free time anymore.

Fallbot
2010-04-16, 11:30 AM
I'd like to do one, but I have yet to run a character for whom it wouldn't feel forced. At the moment I keep an OOC journal about events for the rest of the group (because no one else can be bothered to remember what's happened) and a separate, also OOC one for my own character's knowledge and feelings about events. This approach feels somewhat lacking though so I might start one anyway.

Keshay
2010-04-16, 11:48 AM
I kept a journal for my Earthdawn Beastmaster. There were several sections. The actual diary of events. Poetry "he" wrote. Zoological and botanical descriptions of all the wildlife and plants the party encountered. A great deal of the palnt and wildlife descriptions was stuff I just made up, or modified from actual class observation journals.

IN the end I think I had 7-8 Composition books full of various things.

I was rewarded with additional Legend points everytime we returned to Throal, in-game reason being I was donating the works to the grand library or university or whatever. I chose to spend the extra points on craft and artisitry skills so as not to unbalance my character versus the rest of the party.

It was a fun and educational exercise.