PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Weapons of Cool <3.5>

~LuckyBoneDice~
2010-04-16, 11:46 AM
The Swordcatcher - Exotic, Treat as Bastard Sword for proficiency rules, damage, and has a x2 crit. This sword has 2 blades parallel to each other. This sword gives the weilder a +6 chance of a disarm with this weapon

Zweinhander - Exotic Two-Handed, 2d12 medium, x4 crit. This massive "horse slaying sword" was designed only for the mightiest warriors. However, the weight is still a problem. It requires a Full Attack to swing but once, and at a -4 penalty to hit

Feat: Zweinhander Mastery
Prerequisites: Exotic Proficiency (Zweinhander), Power Attack, Cleave
Benefit: Can attack with the Zweinhander as if it were a normal weapon, and your to-hit drops to -2 instead of -4

DracoDei
2010-04-16, 12:02 PM
But still can't attack once with the Zweinhander as a standard action?

erictheredd
2010-04-16, 12:13 PM
really, this shouldn't be a medium weapon that's hard to use-- this should be a huge (or looking at the damage, a gargantuan weapon) that is made so that medium sized characters can use it. I could even see strength damage being X2 instead of 1.5. on the other hand, making a feat that renders the weapon "normal" is kind of unbalancing, especially considering that the prereqs, while making sense, are fairly common, particuarly if you can take it at a low level (enter Zechard the Zweinhanded, 2nd level human fighter doing an average of 17 damage per hit, only slightly less likely to hit) perhaps you could give it a BAB prereq.

Other than that (really nit picks really) I really like the zwienhander. It reminds me of all those cartoon heroes with oversized swords. I take it the name is historical.

The swordcatcher--- another really good idea, but not balanced. what character will use a bastard sword if he can use a swordcatcher---unless you meant that the two feats stack (if you aren't proficient int the sword, you must use two hands) even then it would probably replace the sword, and I would put in a penalty like critical X2, or only d8 damage. with a +6 to disarm, the weilder will probably get improved disarm, and have such a +8 advantage it would become his standard move.

with those adjustments, these would become very cool weapons--and would give a character a nice feel. lots of easy roleplaying

arguskos
2010-04-16, 12:23 PM
First, to quote from the Arms and Equipment Guide: "A claymore is a zweihander is a no-dachi - a greatsword by any other name..." While I like that you made a zweihander... the game sorta preempted you. :smallwink:

Second, the zweihander as it stands is terribad. It does a massive damage die, sure, but attacking at a -4 that you can never get rid of? Yeah, no one's gonna use that when for a similar feat investment (only two feats) you can get the Sugliin, and deal 2d8 damage with reach and no penalties. If you're going to make this thing useful, change it to the following:

"Massive Huge Sword of Death" - This gigantic and cumbersome exotic two-handed sword deals 2d10 damage on a hit, with a critical range of 19-20/x2. However, it cannot be used in a full attack, due to it's extreme mass, and any attacks with the weapon suffer a -2 penalty.

Full Attack Feat:
Prereqs: EWP (massive huge sword of death), Power Attack, BAB +5
Benefit: You may use the massive huge sword of death as part of a full attack normally. Additionally, you no longer suffer a -2 penalty when attacking with the weapon.

Change the name to something not the zweihander, as that's taken. Maybe the Greatblade or somesuch other cool, slightly fantastic, name.

As for the swordcatcher, meh. It's strictly better than the Bastard Sword, which is poor design. Perhaps... make it a 1d8, 19-20/x2, one handed exotic slashing weapon that grants the +6 to disarm, which is a crazy large bonus.

Mongoose87
2010-04-16, 12:36 PM
Why would I use a zweihander that does 2-24 damage at a minus -4, costing me two feats, and only allowing me to use it in a full attack, when I could use a greatsword that, at the cost of two feats (power attack+leap attack) allows me to take that same -4 and turn my damage to 2-12+12 (14-24) on a charge?

~LuckyBoneDice~
2010-04-16, 12:41 PM
Why would I use a zweihander that does 2-24 damage at a minus -4, costing me two feats, and only allowing me to use it in a full attack, when I could use a greatsword that, at the cost of two feats (power attack+leap attack) allows me to take that same -4 and turn my damage to 2-12+12 (14-24) on a charge?

Grrr....I hate tyops

The weapon is a -4 to hit, not damage

The feat removes 1/2 of the to hit penalty and makes it so you attack normally.

arguskos
2010-04-16, 12:43 PM
Grrr....I hate tyops

The weapon is a -4 to hit, not damage

The feat removes 1/2 of the to hit penalty and makes it so you attack normally.
Uh... your post says none of the above? It doesn't mention that it's -4 to attacks (though that was easy enough to assume), and the feat doesn't say squat about the penalty at all. Perhaps, before posting, you may wish to edit and ensure you have everything you meant there to be? :smallwink:

~LuckyBoneDice~
2010-04-16, 12:44 PM
Uh... your post says none of the above? It doesn't mention that it's -4 to attacks (though that was easy enough to assume), and the feat doesn't say squat about the penalty at all. Perhaps, before posting, you may wish to edit and ensure you have everything you meant there to be? :smallwink:

I did. just now. I had to leave the computer for lunch (i'm @ school)

arguskos
2010-04-16, 12:45 PM
I did. just now. I had to leave the computer for lunch (i'm @ school)
Fair enough. But, in the future, do recall that it's easier for us to review and edit your material if you take the extra time to ensure your material is complete. Just a good tip, one all of us brewers learn at some point (and we all forget stuff every now and again).

~LuckyBoneDice~
2010-04-16, 12:49 PM
Fair enough. But, in the future, do recall that it's easier for us to review and edit your material if you take the extra time to ensure your material is complete. Just a good tip, one all of us brewers learn at some point (and we all forget stuff every now and again).

kosher then. so, with the updates, opinions every1?

hamishspence
2010-04-16, 01:15 PM
First, to quote from the Arms and Equipment Guide: "A claymore is a zweihander is a no-dachi - a greatsword by any other name..." While I like that you made a zweihander... the game sorta preempted you. :smallwink:

A&EG had the Fullblade, which sort of fits the bill- the problem is that as a 3.0 book, a certain amount of clarification is needed to make it clear how the Fullblade works in 3.5- maybe clarify that the standard size is Medium.

Medium Fullblade: Exotic, 100 gp, Two Handed, 2d8 damage, 19-20/x2, 23 lb.

Large creatures can use the Fullblade in two hands as a martial weapon (without taking the normal penalty for using an undersized weapon.)
Large creatures can use the Fullblade in one hand as an exotic weapon (without taking the normal penalty for using an undersized weapon.)

Admiral Squish
2010-04-16, 01:18 PM
Hmm... Perhaps the zweihander can only be swung once per round at start, be it a standard or full attack. Then, each time you take Zweihander mastery, you become capable of swinging it one additional time in a full atttack. You'd need a note this would not allow you to swing it more times than your BAB would allow.

~LuckyBoneDice~
2010-04-16, 01:21 PM
Hmm... Perhaps the zweihander can only be swung once per round at start, be it a standard or full attack. Then, each time you take Zweihander mastery, you become capable of swinging it one additional time in a full atttack. You'd need a note this would not allow you to swing it more times than your BAB would allow.

The feat is loosely modled after Sugliin Mastery

~LuckyBoneDice~
2010-04-16, 01:29 PM
Another couple add-on weapons:

Sickle Tornado (Axe/Kama) - Exotic Weapon, battleaxe/kama damage and crit, reach: 15ft. This unusual weapon is a battleaxe tied by either rope or chain to a kama. This weapon has reach, but cannot strike adjacent foes. If using chain, the chain can be covered in spines for an additional 5000sp (treat chain as Spiked Chain for damage and crit). You can make a trip attack with either end, and may drop if fails

Retribution Blade (Longsword x4) - Exotic weapon, Longsword for damage and crit, quad-weapon. This weapon is twin double swords that are attached to a single ring made from metal. You may treat this weapon as two double weapons when attacking or 4 single attacks. This weapon can be thrown, but it only goes 10ft and you take a -4 to hit.

Tinydwarfman
2010-04-16, 03:09 PM
The Zweihander is still terribad. Note that the Sugliin is actually a really bad weapon. You should never have to take two feats to use a weapon, and even then, STILL have a penalty?!? ONE feat should let you use any weapon normally, not two.

Personally I'd redesign it entirely so that it could only be used with a full attack or a charge, and then have it do 2x STR damage and a high base.

~LuckyBoneDice~
2010-04-19, 12:37 PM
The Zweihander is still terribad. Note that the Sugliin is actually a really bad weapon. You should never have to take two feats to use a weapon, and even then, STILL have a penalty?!? ONE feat should let you use any weapon normally, not two.

Personally I'd redesign it entirely so that it could only be used with a full attack or a charge, and then have it do 2x STR damage and a high base.

I see....

and what about all of the other weapons mentioned?

imp_fireball
2010-04-20, 12:27 PM
Zweinhander - Exotic Two-Handed, 2d12 medium, x4 crit. This massive "horse slaying sword" was designed only for the mightiest warriors. However, the weight is still a problem. It requires a Full Attack to swing but once, and at a -4 penalty to hit

No... just no.

2d8 is a lot more reasonable. No need to make it exotic. Maybe initial BAB requirement (or weapon focus, or some kind of 'banzai charge' feat to reflect its suicidal users)? No penalty to hit, no full attack = one swing garbage. They're really not that heavy (I mean, sure you'd get tired after a long battle, but not 6 seconds).

Also note that a great sword is modeled on the claymore (I think).

Also, multiple feats is too much just to acquire the benefit of a weapon that offers an additional 6.5 damage. May as well give it reach too and all that.

Spiryt
2010-04-20, 12:30 PM
Also note that a great sword is modeled on the claymore (I think).

Weapons in D&D are modeled mainly on previous D&D editions and wild imagination.

I generally would suggest different approach - you think how your weapon should be like, and model it in D&D by appropriate stats (falchion, greatsword, something else if you like).

imp_fireball
2010-04-20, 12:32 PM
Weapons in D&D are modeled mainly on previous D&D editions and wild imagination.

I suggest different approach - you think how your weapons should be like, and model it in D&D with appropriate stats.

Realistically, I think D&D weapons are broad generalizations of real world weapons.

Hence the claymore would fall into the category reflected by 'great sword'.

Spiryt
2010-04-20, 12:34 PM
Realistically, I think D&D weapons are broad generalizations of real world weapons.

Hence the claymore would fall into the category reflected by 'great sword'.

I agree , with notion that generalizations indeed are really broad, and if you want your claymore to have falchion or scythe stats, there really isn't any reason not to make it that way.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-04-20, 12:48 PM
The Sword Catcher and Retribution Blade would be TERRIBLE weapons. Two surfaces actually reduces the cutting power of either surface (force to area equations will prove this), makes the weapon easier to block, and makes it harder to make an attack, as it has to be a perfectly parallel slash to avoid getting stuck.

An actual Sword Catcher was either a short punching weapon made primarily for blocking and disarming (something like a punching dagger with a disarm bonus), or just a slight alteration on the guard of a larger blade, making it slightly better for the purpose.

The Retribution Blade just takes this problem and makes it a double weapon. More blades =/= better weapon.

The Sickle Tornado is simply a better spiked chain if you have the extra money, and a worse one if you don't. We didn't really need that, as the spiked chain is already good enough. Reflavor it as an axe on a chain if you wish, or use the Whip Dagger from the Arms & Equipment guide and make it slashing.

Mulletmanalive
2010-04-20, 01:18 PM
AEG did a pretty simple version of the Zweihander that was Dam: 3d4, Crit: x4 and cost a small fortune [the blades are a sod to make].

Thing was, there was a point to it because they also had a swrodsmanship school dedicated to it [5 level classes with easy entry] that allowed it to function as the thresher it can be used as in basic terms, a longspear and sort of a broom/scythe weapon to attack the legs.

Incidentally, I used to be a member of a reenactment martial arts thing [not combat reenactment, we treated it as a martial art] and the leader was demonstrating the windmilling technique that the weapon was used with. He wasn't paying attention and smashed a door off its hinges.