PDA

View Full Version : Interesting tricks?

WarKitty
2010-04-16, 02:53 PM
Dear Forumites:

I was wondering if anyone could come up with some interesting tricks to teach an animal? There's a basic list at http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/handleAnimal.htm but, well, I'm curious what all you guys can come up with. Bonus points for anything cool or interesting.

Signed,
Wolfie, companion to Kellen the Psychopathic Druid.

AtwasAwamps
2010-04-16, 02:59 PM
Go For The Eyes, Boo, Go For The Eyes!

Furnok
2010-04-16, 03:02 PM
+1 on the one above, Im actually replaying that game right now

arguskos
2010-04-16, 03:03 PM
+1 on the one above, Im actually replaying that game right now
I replay it every month or two. It's totally worth it. :smallamused:

jiriku
2010-04-16, 03:14 PM
I made stats for Minsk and played him in a one-off game once. Right down to the miniature giant space hamster animal companion. I cycled through all his favorite quotes throughout the session. The other players hadn't played the game, and didn't get it. :(

On-topic, here's my two coppers: teach your pet to flank. Teach your pet to aid another. Teach your pet to aid another while flanking. Instant +4 to hit for you, and the pet draws less aggro when it's not directly dealing damage to the opponents. Also, this tactic works even against creatures with high AC or DR that the pet would have trouble breaching.

Darrin
2010-04-16, 10:37 PM
This Wild Life (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031125a) article has more tricks, including the Pin trick for making the party rogue happy.

Arms & Equipment Guide p. 75 has Don't Attack, [Special Ability], Alert, Disable, Disarm, Subdue, and Trip.

Masters of the Wild p. 19 also has some additional tricks: Assist Attack, Assist Defend, Assist Track, Calm, Hold (better version of Pin), Home, Hunt, Subdue, Stalk, Steal.

Dragon #323 p. 101, "Teach Your Old Companion New Tricks" has Avoid, Circle, Courage, Find, Loyalty, New Skill: Easy, New Skill: Difficult (Hello, Tumble!), and Throw.

(Meaningless Nitpick: This last one allows your animal companion to throw grenade-like weapons with a penalty, but by RAW it's unnecessary, since the rules state that any creature does not need a proficiency or take a penalty when throwing a grenade-like weapon.)

Lin Bayaseda
2010-04-16, 11:27 PM
One useful trick is "Flank" - the animal not only attacks its target, but does so from a flanking position (with another ally). If possible, the animal avoids provoking attacks of opportunity.