PDA

View Full Version : New ideas, what do you think

Emerald
2010-04-16, 07:35 PM
Hello,

I've come up with a hamster that is really a dragon. And it can swallow thing whole. When you are inside the hamster its insides are really an extar dimensional space that's the hamster/drangons hord. And when the hamster dies, it becomes the drangon with full health, but can no longger be a hamster. Oh and the hamster can shift into its dragon form. I call these hamsters 'Saddle Bags'. As an added bonus, the hamster can use a breath weapon based on what kind of dragon it is.

These Saddle Bags are to be companions to the players and are a major plot point. What do you think?

SilverStar
2010-04-16, 07:42 PM
That makes me scared of little fuzzy things that eat sunflower seeds.

Are they, you know, tiny... or is it something that is reminiscent of a radiation accident?

Traveler
2010-04-16, 07:45 PM
Two things, I want one for a familiar! NOW!
Two "Go for the eyes Boo!"

JeminiZero
2010-04-16, 07:58 PM
Small furry creature (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nvs5pqf-DMA) being an avatar of destruction (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_6O-xByzRg)?

iamstillwater
2010-04-16, 07:58 PM
Ah, but WHY would a hamsterdragon (henceforth known as Hamdrag) want to team up with your party?

Are they all pokemon trainers by any chance? :)

Seriously though, unless Hamdrag was raised as a child by one of the PCs and Hamdrag was nice enough to return the kindness with loyalty, I'm finding little reason to have it be an improvised bag of holding.

My line of thinking would be to have it as an actual member of the party that fights with the character rather than is used by the character like a tool. You can roleplay the thoughts of Hamdrag along with playing your own role. :D

Kalaska'Agathas
2010-04-16, 08:23 PM
This sounds like yet another variant (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monsters_of_Spelljammer#Giant_space_hamster) of the Giant Space Hamster (http://www.enworld.org/cc/converted/pdf/animal/giant_space_hamster.pdf) from Spelljammer.

Flob
2010-04-16, 08:37 PM
Two things, I want one for a familiar! NOW!
Two "Go for the eyes Boo!"

I... I think I love you. I thought I was the only one who played that game... "Magic was good, but now, Minsc leads! Swords for everyone!"

On subject: What level is the party? This sounds like it may be way over-powered. What size dragons (wyrmlings, elder wyrms)? You know, the important things to think about.

Emerald
2010-04-16, 09:09 PM
Hello,

First, the Saddle Bags are all gem dragons that were made by a god that is out to save the world. And so, the god sent out these Saddle Bags to find a party brave and strong enough to help in his plan to purg the world from evil.

Seacond, the Saddle Bags are mostly grate warm gem dragons, but the ones the party are getting are young adult, and are ment as NPC and as a plot devices.

Third, they can be bags of holding, help with a DM's mess up (AKA: Putting party against too powerful of a monster) and give key plot points to help the party move along.

So far the party is about lvl 3-5, and each will get a Saddle Bag for completing a quest, to test thier valer. So the hamsters are like alignment watchers and gides.

Any thought, or suggestion?

IonDragon
2010-04-16, 10:40 PM
Point #1: I smell a GM PC. If it's too powerful for the party to kill, it shouldn't be in the party. If it's a GMPC, the party should KILL IT WITH FIRE.

#2: It seems to me, that direct divine intervention would probably NOT take the form of a fuzzy, cute ball of fuzz. (Possibly but probably not)

Kalaska'Agathas
2010-04-16, 11:17 PM
#2: It seems to me, that direct divine intervention would probably NOT take the form of a fuzzy, cute ball of fuzz. (Possibly but probably not)

The Prime Mover moves in mysterious (circular) ways. Though why I'm going Aristotelean is anyone's guess, as I think Emerald's sig is quoting Epictetus' Handbook, and not Aristotle's Politics as I previously thought.

Kris Strife
2010-04-16, 11:18 PM
Makes me think of Munchie from Dragon Quest VIII... Cute little mohawk sporting mouse, that gets a breath weapon from eating cheese... And its actually the main character's grandfather who is actually a dragon. :smallbiggrin:

rayne_dragon
2010-04-16, 11:27 PM
My natural reaction to these guys is to use them for trap detection/springing. Scorch marks in the hallway? I throw the hamster down the hall and hope he sets off any traps.

They're kind of cool, but also a little worrisome in that they may either be abused by the players or that the players will feel annoyed that they're burdened with the Saddle Bags. It's a creative idea, but one that needs caution in its execution.

Emerald
2010-04-16, 11:56 PM
Hello,

They can talk, and they would mostly be a background NPC, they are small enough to just sit on your shoulder and not bother anyone or anything. Heck, you could even camp inside them.

They can be killed, but then Saddle Bag would turn into a dragon. So, in all thought, you would kill a small hamster with a DC of 1/9 or less deal to a DC of a young adult dragon.

Keep them coming, I love hear your thought and I will bring up more ideas.:smallbiggrin:

nyjastul69
2010-04-17, 01:08 AM
This sounds like yet another variant (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monsters_of_Spelljammer#Giant_space_hamster) of the Giant Space Hamster (http://www.enworld.org/cc/converted/pdf/animal/giant_space_hamster.pdf) from Spelljammer.

That was my first thought too. I don't have anything positive to add, but this does remind me of a funny ditty a buddy of mine once said.

Small furry animals all fuzzy and cute,
Small furry animals I crush with my boot.

I apologize for not being constructive here.

Cicciograna
2010-04-17, 04:54 AM
Ah, but WHY would a hamsterdragon (henceforth known as Hamdrag)

Then why not Dragster? :smallbiggrin:

However, the idea is nice, but are people aware of this "peculiarity" of said animal? I mean, if I knew about it I would go out of my league to get one...

Cogidubnus
2010-04-17, 06:35 AM
I mean, if I knew about it I would go out of my league to get one...

Is that a mixed metaphor?

Emerald
2010-04-18, 03:08 PM
Hello,:smallwink:

The saddle bags are given to said players, and they don't know about the dragon part, plot device.

Keep them coming. I'm going to bring up next idea on Tuseday:smallsmile:

Emerald
2010-04-20, 05:04 PM
Hello,

This idea is brought to you by the letter, 'Z'

Okay, the party at the begging of the store are in a tavern, they brake up a fight and get the person put in jail. Latter the party is summons to the kings cort to answer a few question about said fight.

After words, they are told the the person they caught is really a blood thirst killer that has been killing young female elves in the city, but the killer has somehow killed again and they think they have the wrong guy.

Latter, they find that the one in jail is really a twin brother and the brother that is killing is out in the forest and they must find him before he strikes again.

Now the idea.
The brother is really the true king of the city, and the brother in jail did kill the elf. The reason the brother, that is not in jail, is on the run is because the curent king has mind raped the town with the help of the local evil sorcerer/wizerd making them think that the brother on the run is a killer, so the curent king can still rule and contiune his so called good deeds in the city. And the Gnomes have some how made their will saves and bluff checks to make the evil king believe his plan work. But the gnomes are trying to get the real king back on the throne.

Is this a good story idea for a first chapter? Thought?:smallsmile: