PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Reserve Feat Brainstorming

arguskos
2010-04-16, 09:49 PM
Ok, so, in honor of DragoonWraith's good ideas, and my Reserve Mage (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147086) and Reservationist (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149355) prestige classes, I thought it might be a good time to create some more reserve feats.

Here, have a few I've been fiddling with:

My Works:

Corpsewalk [Reserve]
"And when the dead walk the land... the living will fill these coffins...
Prerequisites: Able to cast 3rd level spells
Benefits: As long as you have an undead (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8317560&postcount=36) spell of 3rd level or higher available to cast, you can take a full round action to animate a near-by corpse. This corpse animates as a zombie of hit dice equal to the level of the highest level evil spell you have available divided by two (rounded up). You may only control one such zombie at any time.
As a secondary benefit, you gain a +1 competence bonus to your caster level when casting undead spells.

Scorching Illumination [Reserve]
And he said, "let there be light," and there was light.
Benefits: As long as you have a light spell of 3rd level or higher available to cast, you can create a burst of scorchingly brilliant illumination anywhere within 25 ft + 5 ft/level of the highest available light spell you have. The burst is 10 ft in diameter, and every creature caught within it must make a Fortitude save or be blinded for 1 round.
As a secondary benefit, you gain a +1 competence bonus to your caster level when casting light spells.

Shattering Word [Reserve]
He spoke a word, and my blade just exploded! I never stood a chance.
Prerequisites: Able to cast 2nd level spells
Benefits: As long as you have a sonic spell of 2nd level or higher available to cast, you can speak a word and cause objects to suffer catastrophic disasters. You can deal an object damage up to the level of the highest level sonic spell you have available times two (so, from 2 damage up to 18). This damage ignores the object's hardness.
As a secondary benefit, you gain a +1 competence bonus to your caster level when casting sonic spells.

Guided Missile [Reserve]
They'll never know what hit 'em.
Benefits: As long as you have a telekinesis (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8317560&postcount=36) spell of 2nd level or higher available to cast, you can gesture and hurl an object weighing no more than 10 lbs per level of the spell powering this feat at a distant target. Guided Missile does 1d6 damage per 10 lbs of the object, and requires a ranged attack roll to hit.
As a secondary benefit, you gain a +1 competence bonus to your caster level when casting telekinesis spells.

Shimmering Armor [Reserve]
I swung my blade, and suddenly, he was surrounded by this golden armor that hadn't been there a moment ago!
Prerequisites: Able to cast 1st level spells
Benefits: As long as you have an abjuration spell of 1st level or higher available to cast, you can conjure shimmering plates of force to defend yourself from one attack. As an immediate action, you may gain an armor bonus to your AC equal to the level of the highest available abjuration spell you have against one attack. This armor bonus is made from force, meaning it applies to touch attacks and incorporeal attacks as well.
As a secondary benefit, you gain a +1 competence bonus to your caster level when casting abjuration spells.

Cloud of Bees [Reserve]
He was just standing there, staring at the bandit, and then, with a flick of his wrist, a cloud of bees swarmed out of nowhere and coated the bandit, who screamed, "I'm covered in beees!!" until he died. It was horrible.
Benefits: As long as you have a summoning spell of 2nd level or higher available to cast, you can create a horde of bees to envelop your foes, stinging them to death. The target is allowed a Reflex save to avoid their stingy fate, and if failed, they suffer 1 point of damage per level of the highest available summoning spell you have, and must make a Fortitude save or suffer the effects of bee venom (1d4 Str/1d4 Str).
As a secondary benefit, you gain a +1 competence bonus to your caster level when casting summoning spells.
Note: This feat is ENTIRELY tongue-in-cheek.

Enrage [Reserve]
I was just shoutin' at him, that's normal!
Jim, you're an apostle of peace. You threatened to rip his head off.
Yeah, so? Everyone gets angry.
Benefits: As long as you have an enchantment spell of 3rd level or higher available to cast, you can induce a brutal rage in other creatures, forcing them to attack madly. The target must make a Will save, or go berserk, attacking any living creature in a wild rage. This rage lasts until they have made 1 attack per level of the highest available enchantment spell you have.
As a secondary benefit, you gain a +1 competence bonus to your caster level when casting enchantment spells.

Vanishing Act [Reserve]
The mage just... he was there, and then he wasn't! I can't explain it!
Benefits: As long as you have a glamer spell of 2nd level or higher available to cast, you can vanish for a short time. As a swift action, you can disappear for a number of rounds equal to the level of the highest available glamer spell you have divided by three (round down, minimum 1 round).
As a secondary benefit, you gain a +1 competence bonus to your caster level when casting glamer spells.

Telekinetic Disarm [Reserve]
I sprung out of hiding, and gave him the line about money or life. He just laughed, and suddenly, my blade was wrenched out of my hand and hurled into a distant bush. He asked, "what was that, again?"
Benefits: As long as you have a telekinesis (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8317560&postcount=36) spell of 1st level or higher available to cast, you can disarm opponents with but a thought. You can disarm opponents with telekinetic force from up to 10 ft+5 ft/level of the the highest available telekinesis spell you have. You are treated as wielding a one-handed weapon, and always gain a +1+1/2 level the highest available telekinesis spell you have competence bonus on the disarm attempt. This does not provoke attacks of opportunity.
As a secondary benefit, you gain a +1 competence bonus to your caster level when casting telekinesis spells.

Bonechill [Reserve]
Cooold.... soooo... cooold.... brrrrrr
Benefits: As long as you have a cold spell of 1st level or higher available to cast, you can chill a foe to their very core. As a ranged touch attack with a bonus equal to 1/2 level the highest available cold spell you have, you can immobilize (as per the condition) the target for for a number of rounds equal to the of level the highest available cold spell you have. They get a Fort save to resist the effect.
As a secondary benefit, you gain a +1 competence bonus to your caster level when casting cold spells.

Skinscorch [Reserve]
Dammit, that stings!
Benefits: As long as you have a fire spell of 1st level or higher available to cast, you can inflict horrible burns on a touched creature. As a touch attack, you can inflict a persistent burn that deals the touched creature 1+1/2 the level the highest available fire spell you have fire damage, for a number of rounds equal to the of level the highest available fire spell you have.
As a secondary benefit, you gain a +1 competence bonus to your caster level when casting fire spells.

Deafening Roar [Reserve]
What? WHAT?
Benefits: As long as you have a sonic spell of 1st level or higher available to cast, you can create a momentary deafness in a targeted creature. The target gets a Fort save to resist the effects. If they fail, they are deafened for for a number of rounds equal to the of level the highest available sonic spell you have.
As a secondary benefit, you gain a +1 competence bonus to your caster level when casting sonic spells.

Slowing Shock [Reserve]
Iii aammm soooo sllooowww....
Benefits: As long as you have an electricity spell of 1st level or higher available to cast, you can forcibly slow a creature to a crawl. As a ranged touch attack, you can slow an opponent for 1/2 the level of the highest available electricity spell you have. They get a Fort save to resist the effects.
As a secondary benefit, you gain a +1 competence bonus to your caster level when casting electricity spells.

Blinding Spittle [Reserve]
It burns! I'm blind! Augh god, IT BURNS!
Benefits: As long as you have an acid spell of 1st level or higher available to cast, you can launch a blast of acid directly into your opponents eyes, blinding them temporarily. As a ranged touch attack, you can blind an opponent for for a number of rounds equal to the of level the highest available acid spell you have. They get a Fort save to resist the effects.
As a secondary benefit, you gain a +1 competence bonus to your caster level when casting acid spells.

Contributor's Works

Bee Swarm [Reserve]
It takes a great deal of willpower not to flinch under a swarm of bees. Fortunately, if you do, you won't get stung.
Prerequisites: Ability to cast 2nd level spells
Description: You can form bees from simplistic magic, causing them to swarm over a target within 30ft. If the target remain still, he suffers no damage; should he take as much as a 5ft step, he suffers 1d6 damage per level of the highest level Summoning spell the caster has available, and must make a Fortitude save or become Nauseated by the poison of the bees.
As a secondary benefit, you gain a +1 competence bonus to your caster level when casting summoning spells.
Credit: Mulletmanalive

Windlash [Reserve]
When a cold wind blows, it hurts.
Prerequsites: Ability to cast 2nd level spells
Description: You can whip a ring of stinging wind around yourself. Other characters within 5ft of you suffer 1d3 damage per level of the highest level [Air] spell you have memorised and all missile attacks made against you suffer an equal penalty to hit.
As a secondary benefit, you gain a +1 competence bonus to your caster level when casting air spells.

Numbing Ray [Reserve]
I don't have to run fast, I just have to run faster than you
Prerequisites Ability to cast 1st level spells
Benefits As long as you have a cold spell of 2nd level or higher available to cast, you may make a ranged touch attack that creates a sheet of ice encasing the target. This sheet imposes a penalty to dexterity equal to 1+1/2 the level of the highest level [cold] spell you have prepared. For every 2 points of penalty added in this way the targets move speed is reduced by 5 feet and their flight maneuverability, if any, is lowered by one stage (perfect to good, good to average, etc....) These penalty's stack. As a full round action the a player targeted by this ray may attack the ice that coats them. The ice is effectively one inch thick for each point of penalty imposed, and the penalty is lessened by 1 point for each inch of ice removed in this manner.
As a secondary benefit, you gain a +1 competence bonus to your caster level when casting cold spells.
Credit: ryleah

Smoulder: [Reserve]
With a glance and a gesture, you ignite some exposed cloth or hair on the target. It's effects are minimal, save the panicked flailing needed to put it out.
Description: As long as you have a 2nd level fire spell or higher available, you may ignite a small amount of the clothing of a target within 30ft. The material smoulders and burns more like it was wicking oil and is itself not damaged; it does, however, hurt a lot and most people panic the moment they notice. at the beginning of each of its turns, the victim takes 1 point of Fire damage per level of your highest level Fire spell. The fire can be extinguished as a Standard action; those choosing to ignore it must make a Will save to avoid being compelled to extinguish the flames.
In addition, you gain +1 CL when casting spells with the Fire descriptor.

Cuts Inside the Mind: [Reserve]
You can create painful phantasmal wounds that are convincing enough that the body reacts to them, wasting healing magic.
Prerequisites: 2nd level spells
Description: As long as you have a 2nd level or higher Phantasm spell available to cast, you can create nasty wounds on the self image of a target within 60ft. The target gains 3 temporary damage per level of highest level Phantasm spell you have available; a Will save negates. Temporary damage are the inverse of Temporary hp. They are healed first, last for 1 minute and if the target is killed while still possessing temporary damage, they are merely unconscious. They remain this way until the damage time limit elapses and then can be roused based on their hp after the fact. Multiple applications of this feat do not stack, though their durations can overlap.
In addition, you gain +1 CL when casting Phantasm spells.

Motewall [Reserve]
Missed me!:smalltongue:
Prerequisites able to cast third level spells
BenefitsAs long as you have an abjuration spell of 3rd level or higher available to cast, you may create a wall-shaped patch of floating magical motes, which is 20 square feet per 3 levels of the spell prepared and lasts for 1 round per 3 levels of the spell prepared. This wall is very difficult to see and requires a spot check equal to the save DC for the spell it is based off of. The moats are inert unless a projectile or targeted spell passes through the field, at which point the condense to form a tiny wall of force precisely in front of the offending missile, negating the attack and cause reactive projectiles (alchemist's fires, tanglefoot bags, fireballs, etc) to react at the point at which they come into contact with the wall
As a secondary benefit, you gain a +1 competence bonus to your caster level when casting abjuration spells.
Credit: ryleah

FlamingKobold
2010-04-17, 12:11 AM
It seems that scorching illumination doesn't really have much to do with the spell level you have. Slightly larger range isn't impressive.

arguskos
2010-04-17, 12:13 AM
It seems that scorching illumination doesn't really have much to do with the spell level you have. Slightly larger range isn't impressive.
There are other reserve feats with similar effects. Also, saves on reserve feats are keyed to the spell level powering the feat. :smallwink:

Mulletmanalive
2010-04-17, 10:59 AM
You realise that Corpsewalk is going to automatically produce a tougher than normal zombie, right? I'd lower it to 2nd level or possibly even 1st. It's a minimal benefit, suits necromancers, isn't inherently abusable and is actually less potent than the Necrocarnum Crown meld that can be suitably chakhra bound at 2nd level.

Not entirely sure how you'd do it, but perhaps a Reserve feat that grants a minimal ability to project objects, such as with the Propel cantrip [you can fire a crossbow bolt without a crossbow]?

Maybe one projectile per even numbered level? Or a bonus to hit equal to the Highest level spell of a given type you have memorised? Not sure because there isn't a "kinesis" subschool to tie it to.

Reserve feats have an issue like Invocations in that they're keyed to a Standard action: perhaps creating a few that aren't so limited might grant a few minor things. An Immediate action to grant a bonus to AC would be very handy, for instance.

Shimmering Armour: Temporary hp [in shielding] equal to the highest level Abjuration spell you've got left for one minute?

arguskos
2010-04-17, 11:03 AM
Hmm. Decent point about Corpsewalk. However, who's going to take a feat, keyed off of [evil] spells, for a single crappy 2 HD zombie? That's... pretty ****ty, honestly. I'll change it to "the zombie has hit dice equal to the level of the spell powering this feat divided by 2 (rounded up)".

As for more reserve feats, I can think of a couple along those lines.

arguskos
2010-04-17, 11:15 AM
Double post, but, I've got Guided Missile and Shimmering Armor up.

DracoDei
2010-04-17, 11:40 AM
Shimmering Armor seems like something that would be used every round that the caster doesn't have a better use for their swift action. Now as I understand it, just about the only use casters have for swift actions is Quickened spells... which is a big deal, but not something they are going to do EVERY round, especially when they are just walking along, as is the case with an ambush.

EDIT: In a bit of shameless semi-derailing, here are some very narrow scope reserve and reserve-like feats that I created for my Mepholk for people to look at while they are in the "reserve feat" mindset...

Acid Spray [Mepholk, Reserve]
By drawing off a tiny portion of the energy of your prepared spells, you can transmute your musk to acid.
Prerequisites: Con 13, Ability to cast a spell with the [Acid] Descriptor.
Benefits: As long as you have a Acid spell to cast, if you choose during the firing, in addition to the normal effects, on a direct hit, your musk now deals 1d4 points of acid damage per spell level of the highest level remaining spell you have with the Acid descriptor (Or 1 point of acid damage if you only have Acid Glob or some other 0th level Acid spell that you can still cast that day).

Holy Musk [Mepholk]
You can imbue your musk with the disdain of your deity.
Prerequisites: Con 13, CHA 13, Ability to Turn Undead
Benefits:When spraying, you may take a free action before firing a given individual attack to imbue it with the power of your deity by expending one of your daily uses of Turn Undead. In addition to the normal effects, on a direct hit, it now deals 1d6 points of damage per level at which you turn undead positive energy damage (as per Holy Water, but without any splash damage). Note that if you can attack more than once per round with your musk, you can imbue EACH shot with this power, (although each one requires expending a separate use of your Turn Undead Power).
Normal: Most undead are immune to your musk and it deals no hit point damage regardless of the target.

Vile Musk [Mepholk]
More is foul about your secretions than just the smell. They burn the flesh of the angels and other such champions of good.
Prerequisites: Con 13, Cha 13, Ability to Rebuke Undead
Benefits:When spraying, you may take a free action before firing a given individual attack to imbue it with the power of your deity by expending one of your daily uses of Rebuke Undead. In addition to the normal effects, on a direct hit, it now deals 1d6 points of damage per level at which you rebuke undead negative energy damage (as per Unholy Water, but without any splash damage). Note that if you can attack more than once per round with your musk, you can imbue EACH shot with this power, (although each one requires expending a separate use of your Rebuke Undead Power).
Normal: Your musk deals no hit point damage regardless of the target.

arguskos
2010-04-17, 11:42 AM
Shimmering Armor seems like something that would be used every round that the caster doesn't have a better use for their swift action. Now as I understand it, just about the only use casters have for swift actions is Quickened spells... which is a big deal, but not something they are going to do EVERY round, especially when they are just walking along, as is the case with an ambush.
Well, abrupt jaunt is an immediate action as well, conflicting with Shimmering Armor. Many items are swift actions (meaning taking Shimmering will deprive them of that item usage).

Also, it's a fairly minor AC boost. By the time you get a reasonable number (4 or better), you're level 7 at lowest, making Shimmering Armor fairly minor at best. Also, do recall it only applies to one attack, not a full attack.

DracoDei
2010-04-17, 11:51 AM
Also, do recall it only applies to one attack, not a full attack.

Ah, that is a key point...

arguskos
2010-04-17, 11:54 AM
Ah, that is a key point...
Yes, yes it is. :smallamused:

In other news, does anyone have suggestions for more reserve feats?

Mulletmanalive
2010-04-17, 12:09 PM
I think we were talking cross purposes on the Corpsewalk.

Say i take it at level one [it's a 1st level reserve in this example]. I get a single zombie that i can order around and i still have a couple of spells i can use. If the zombie is destroyed [difficult with the thing's DR at this level] i can just animate another from suitable corpses.

It may be one zombie at a time, but it's still a 1HD bulwark with DR 5/Slashing...

I hit 3rd level, it becomes a 2HD zombie. I have a pretty powerful Bulwark, admittedly it's only going to delay a fighter but still, it'll slow a stabby rogue down and can grapple well.

If it were scripted as you've already got it, i'd be getting the feat at 5th level and get a 3HD zombie...I can replace it the moment it's killed using any available corpse [the creation rules actually allow for this, though the Zombie creature type makes this confusing] so it's still kinda useful as a bodyguard.

It's not a great feat but it's more useful than a Familiar at low levels and a bonus on casting of necromancy or Evil spells would be worth it at higher levels. I'd say that that 1HD zombie is worth a feat when you can get it...

EDIT: Oh, and Bee Swarm: 4th level, calls a minor swarm of bees against a target within 30ft. Unless destroyed with damage equal to the reserve [Summoning], the bees will attack on your turn dealing 1d6 damage and forcing a save using the Reserve format or the target is nauseated.

Enrage: not sure on level, As a Standard action make a Bluff check resisted with a level check. You may add a bonus on your bluff equal to your reserve [Enchantment]. If successful, your opponent will move towards you in an attempt to attack you in melee.

arguskos
2010-04-17, 12:12 PM
Can't take it before level 5. It requires 3rd level spells, and like all reserve feats, it doesn't work if you don't have a spell of the appropriate level or higher.

So, in order to use Corpsewalk, you need to have a 3rd level or higher [evil] spell prepared and uncast at all times, and you get a 2 HD zombie in return. At level 5. This is not massively useful. Compare to Summon Elemental for similar power levels.

Mulletmanalive
2010-04-17, 12:23 PM
Can't take it before level 5. It requires 3rd level spells, and like all reserve feats, it doesn't work if you don't have a spell of the appropriate level or higher.

So, in order to use Corpsewalk, you need to have a 3rd level or higher [evil] spell prepared and uncast at all times, and you get a 2 HD zombie in return. At level 5. This is not massively useful. Compare to Summon Elemental for similar power levels.

This being the point.

I had read it as being "Zombie with HD equal to the level of the highest level Evil spell you have prepared" Much more useful and would have worked pretty well as a 1st level spell reserve feat. Not overpowering but really handy.

Hence why i was trying to encourage it as a level 1 reserve feat and apparently gave completely the wrong impression.

I've added two more to the previous post btw

arguskos
2010-04-17, 12:27 PM
This being the point.

I had read it as being "Zombie with HD equal to the level of the highest level Evil spell you have prepared" Much more useful and would have worked pretty well as a 1st level spell reserve feat. Not overpowering but really handy.

Hence why i was trying to encourage it as a level 1 reserve feat and apparently gave completely the wrong impression.

I've added two more to the previous post btw
...yeah, it sounded like you were saying "it's overpowered", and I was all "uh... no, it's not?" Thing is, there's no good animation effect at level 1 with the [evil] tag (or any at all, actually).

I'll see about Bee Swarm and Enrage.

DracoDei
2010-04-17, 12:27 PM
Bee's are poison based, so I would recommend picking something else to match the crunch to the fluff.

Mulletmanalive
2010-04-17, 12:31 PM
Bee's are poison based, so I would recommend picking something else to match the crunch to the fluff.

I used bees for the singular reason of Bioshock.

@Arguskos: It just says Evil spells, rather than Animation spells. If anything, i'd probably base it on Necromancy myself. At a 1:1 on spell level and HD, it's pretty much just a shield, even then. You're 11th level before you can get a large one, after all. I'd go 1:1 and lower the access. Holy crap, a level necromancer with undead?

arguskos
Actually, in something amusing, there is no Swarm of Bees in 3.5. :smalleek: I really wanted to make a graft that lets you shoot bees from your hand (think Bioshock) while screaming "I'M COVERED IN BEEES!!!!" but there's no swarm of bees in 3.5. I was saddened.

Also, I'm like going to figure out something for Bee Swarm and Enrage. I like the feel, I don't like the mechanics so much. I'll fiddle for a few minutes, see what I come up with.

DragoonWraith
They look cool, but...

Ok, so, in honor of DragoonWraith's good ideas
Which ideas were those? I'm a little confused...

arguskos
2010-04-17, 12:34 PM
They look cool, but...

Which ideas were those? I'm a little confused...
In the Reserve Mage thread, you suggested we should make some more reserve feats, especially an illusion based one (which I've yet to figure out something that makes me happy on).

EDIT: Enrage, and Cloud of Bees are up.

ryleah
2010-04-17, 01:22 PM
How about one that allows you to go invisible for a number of rounds equal to the highest illusion spell preared divided by 3?

arguskos
2010-04-17, 01:37 PM
How about one that allows you to go invisible for a number of rounds equal to the highest illusion spell preared divided by 3?
Vanishing Act is up.

Mulletmanalive
2010-04-17, 02:23 PM
hmmm...I was really going for a movement inhibitor with Bee-Swarm, but never mind. Here's my version...

Bee Swarm:
It takes a great deal of willpower not to flinch under a swarm of bees. Fortunately, if you do, you won't get stung.
Description: You can form bees from simplistic magic, causing them to swarm over a target within 30ft. If the target remain still, he suffers no damage; should he take as much as a 5ft step, he suffers 1d6 damage per level of the highest level Summoning spell the caster has available, and must make a Fortitude save or become Nauseated by the poison of the bees.

Basic blasty powers are always hugely useful as reserve effects. An especially useful one, probably about 5th or 6th level would be the ability to create a 10ft or so Wall of Fire knockoff to block corridors with.

DragoonWraith
2010-04-17, 02:30 PM
I did? I totally don't remember that. Annnnyway, hmm.

Corpsewalk - Ditch [Evil], switch to Necromancy, IMO. Undead do not necessarily have to be evil...

Guided Missile - Is there no descriptor you can add to make this make more sense? Having it be any Transmutation spell weakens the flavor and makes the requirement absurdly easy to fulfill, I think.

As a question, if a spontaneous caster has Heighten Spell, can they claim to have a spell of the highest level they can cast (and still have spell slots left for) with the descriptors of any spell they know?

arguskos
2010-04-17, 02:35 PM
Corpsewalk - Ditch [Evil], switch to Necromancy, IMO. Undead do not necessarily have to be evil...
Hmm. While I usually agree about undead and the [evil] tag, for ease of introduction to other games, Animate Dead DOES have the [evil] tag by default, meaning it was the best fit. Also, giving it to Necromancy is the Guided Missile issue (as you mention below).

Guided Missile - Is there no descriptor you can add to make this make more sense? Having it be any Transmutation spell weakens the flavor and makes the requirement absurdly easy to fulfill, I think.
It's that or [Air], which is nigh useless.

As a question, if a spontaneous caster has Heighten Spell, can they claim to have a spell of the highest level they can cast (and still have spell slots left for) with the descriptors of any spell they know?
No, since Sorcerers are required to have a spell of the proper level on their SPELL LIST. That means Heighten doesn't work, because the spell isn't 8th level or whatever until cast. It's in the Reserve Feat entry in CMage, on page 37.

Mulletmanalive
2010-04-17, 02:36 PM

I've always said "yes, but you'd have to spent a Full action to use the feat in that case; it takes time to apply the metamagic effect to the spell, albeit temporarily."

arguskos
2010-04-17, 02:37 PM
I've always said "yes, but you'd have to spent a Full action to use the feat in that case; it takes time to apply the metamagic effect to the spell, albeit temporarily."
Again, it's actually clarified in the Reserve Feat section of CMage.

Also, I'll add your Bee Swarm to the first post as another bee-related reserve feat. :smallamused:

Mulletmanalive
2010-04-17, 02:46 PM
Ph3Ar mah Ah9031d3a aw30om3!!!!!111

[Translation: I do believe that bees are excellent and should be feared...]

As an incidental oddness, the feat grants a Reserve Mage abilities similar to a 4e controller.

Windlash:
When a cold wind blows, it hurts.
Prerequsites: 2nd level spells
Description: You can whip a ring of stinging wind around yourself. Other characters within 5ft of you suffer 1d3 damage per level of the highest level [Air] spell you have memorised and all missile attacks made against you suffer an equal penalty to hit.

In addition, you gain a +1 bonus on CL when casting spells with the [Air] descriptor.

DragoonWraith
2010-04-17, 02:48 PM
THEY'RE IN MY EYES!!@

Ahem, anyway. God, what an awful movie.

Maybe key Corpsewalk off of having any Necromancy spell that allows one to summon, call, animate, or raise an undead minion?

For Guided Missile, any Transmutation spell with a telekinetic effect?

arguskos
2010-04-17, 02:56 PM
Maybe key Corpsewalk off of having any Necromancy spell that allows one to summon, call, animate, or raise an undead minion?

For Guided Missile, any Transmutation spell with a telekinetic effect?
As much as I LIKE those ideas, they're not viable, since they're too up for debate between DMs and Players. We could do [Air] for Guided Missile (it's the feel anyways).

Corpsewalk... eh, we can just do Necromancy. There's less good stuff in Necromancy than in Transmutation anyways. Also, I just checked, and there is already a Necromancy reserve (which is terrible, btw).

Mulletmanalive, I like Windlash, but perhaps if we bump it to a more standard die size, like 1d4?

Mulletmanalive
2010-04-17, 02:58 PM
It'd probably stand a d4, yeah. Might get a bit powerful with a d6...

Nearly did that myself but got cold feet.

arguskos
2010-04-17, 03:01 PM
It'd probably stand a d4, yeah. Might get a bit powerful with a d6...

Nearly did that myself but got cold feet.
Oh hohoho, "cold feet", I get it. :smallamused:

Also, I'll go add that to the OP. We're getting a good collection of 'em going now.

DragoonWraith
2010-04-17, 04:19 PM
As much as I LIKE those ideas, they're not viable, since they're too up for debate between DMs and Players. We could do [Air] for Guided Missile (it's the feel anyways).
Really? I don't think so... yeah, there's no actual descriptor, but I dunno, seems obvious and objective enough...

arguskos
2010-04-17, 04:23 PM
Really? I don't think so... yeah, there's no actual descriptor, but I dunno, seems obvious and objective enough...
Given that all reserve feats are based on school or descriptor? Compared to that, it's highly subjective and breaks the clear pattern they have established. Dammit, why is there no subtype for undead creation or telekinesis?! They'd be fairly heavily used too.

DragoonWraith
2010-04-17, 04:34 PM
You could always make them up...

Mulletmanalive
2010-04-17, 04:40 PM
You could always make them up...

Makes sense...

arguskos
2010-04-17, 04:58 PM
...augh, I do not need more to brew! Well, might as well.

[Undead] is a spell descriptor that should be appended to the following SRD spells:
Animate Dead, Create Undead, Create Greater Undead, Control Undead, Detect Undead, Disrupt Undead, Halt Undead, Hide from Undead, Speak with Dead, and Undeath to Death.

[Telekinesis] is a spell descriptor that should be appended to the following SRD spells:
Animate Objects, Animate Rope, Clenched Fist, Control Water, Crushing Fist, Dancing Lights, Floating Disk, Forceful Hand, Grasping Hand, Interposing Hand, Mage Hand, Mage's Sword, Open/Close, Prestidigitation, Reverse Gravity, Spectral Hand, Spiritual Weapon, Telekinesis, and Telekinetic Sphere.

These are SRD only, and fairly broad categories.

Note: I've changed Corpsewalk and Guided Missile appropriately, with a link to this post.

AustontheGreat1
2010-04-17, 05:05 PM
I've always thought that there should be an ability enhancer. Something like

As long as you have a 2nd level or higher transmutation spell available to cast, you can, as a move action, Induce a surge of physical ability granting yourself a bonus to Either Strength, Dexterity, or Constitution equal to the highest-level transmutation spell you have available to cast for one round.

When casting Transmutation spells, you gain a +1 competence bonus to your caster level.

That on its own I think is way to powerful. There needs to be a limit on how often it can be used and there should be some type of drawback. Maybe something like...

This explosion of physical capability comes at a cost. Doing so leaves the user exhausted. This ability cannot be used while exhausted

I don't know, maybe its a dumb idea all together.

arguskos
2010-04-17, 05:16 PM
Auston, there is Minor Shapeshift already. It doesn't directly buff ability scores, but does do similarish stuff.

We could do an "ability enhancer" as well though.

arguskos
2010-04-19, 07:22 PM
Aww, I was hoping for some more feedback on this. Any thoughts on the new spell subtypes? Or any more thoughts for feats? Perhaps a straight ability enhancer, like Auston suggested?

ryleah
2010-04-19, 08:18 PM
Working on a reserve feat based base class modeled after splicers from bioshock, really love all of these homebrew feats, so for the sake of continuing the thread I'll post one of mine.

Numbing Ray
Prerequisites Able to cast first level spells
Benefits If you have a spell with the [cold] subtype prepared you may make a ranged touch attack that imposes a 1 + 1/2 levels of the spell prepared dex penalty to A/c, reflex saves, finesse attacks and skill checks until the end of combat.
Additional Benefits All spells with the [cold] subtype are cast at + 1 caster level

Keep up the good work

arguskos
2010-04-19, 08:22 PM
I like Numbing Ray. Hmm, how about an "equivalent" for each energy type? deafening for sonic, a slow burning effect for fire, maybe a slow for electric, and a blinding for acid? I like this concept, I like it a lot.

Also, do you mind if I clean up Numbing Ray's wording a little? I've got a pattern here. :smallamused:

ryleah
2010-04-19, 08:29 PM
Heck, the main reason I haven't posted more is because I have no idea how the formatting is supposed to go. Feel free!

arguskos
2010-04-19, 08:34 PM
Heck, the main reason I haven't posted more is because I have no idea how the formatting is supposed to go. Feel free!
For the record, the following is my formatting:

Name [Reserve]
Flavor Text Here
Prerequisites: Able to cast Xth level spells
Benefits: As long as you have a descriptor spell of Xth level or higher available to cast, XYZ.
As a secondary benefit, you gain a +1 competence bonus to your caster level when casting descriptor spells.

Also... um... Numbing Ray needs a duration on the effect and to NOT affect Weapon Finesse attacks (sorta odd). I think a 1/2 spell level powering the feat duration would work.

ryleah
2010-04-19, 08:43 PM
Also... um... Numbing Ray needs a duration

Until the end of combat is not an uncommon duration.

on the effect and to NOT affect Weapon Finesse attacks (sorta odd).

I wanted it to effectively do dex damage but not actually do dex damage, hence the finesse damage

arguskos
2010-04-19, 09:07 PM
Until the end of combat is not an uncommon duration.
For reserve feats? Not really.

I wanted it to effectively do dex damage but not actually do dex damage, hence the finesse damage
...why not? Just make it do 1+1/2 spell level Dex damage. There's nothing wrong with that.

ryleah
2010-04-19, 09:16 PM
Full on dex damage seemed overpowered for an at will ability, how about it lasts a flat minute.

arguskos
2010-04-19, 09:19 PM
Full on dex damage seemed overpowered for an at will ability, how about it lasts a flat minute.
...10 rounds? Why so long?

First, it shouldn't stack with itself. Just specify that. Then, we make it Dex damage with 1/2 spell level duration. That makes it pretty reasonable for an at-will reserve feat ability.

I don't see how that could possibly be overpowered, even from level 1. -2 Dex for 1 round isn't that good.

FishAreWet
2010-04-19, 09:42 PM
Consider making it a Dex penalty? Then it doesn't need extra rules to avoid stacking and would allow for larger numbers without one rounding Dragons.

Animate Objects would be fun. Make it like Deathwalk in that you can only have one up at a time and make it as the spell except CL = 1/2*Spell Level netting you maximum Huge objects with 8th level spells.

Telekinesis? No idea how to balance this one but I like the idea.

arguskos
2010-04-19, 09:52 PM
Consider making it a Dex penalty? Then it doesn't need extra rules to avoid stacking and would allow for larger numbers without one rounding Dragons.

Animate Objects would be fun. Make it like Deathwalk in that you can only have one up at a time and make it as the spell except CL = 1/2*Spell Level netting you maximum Huge objects with 8th level spells.

Telekinesis? No idea how to balance this one but I like the idea.
I approve of everything in this post. Also, it's Corpsewalk, not Deathwalk (sounds like an Oingo Boingo song [kudos if you get the reference]). :smallwink:

I'll figure out an Animate Objects and a Telekinesis reserve.

ryleah
2010-04-20, 11:20 AM
The visual was that every time you hit an opponent with a ray you create a coat of ice that slows them down and makes them ungainly, without actually damaging an ability score. The effects were meant to stack, actually, as each successive layer of ice makes the opponent more cumbersome and slows them down even more. Obviously I went about this the wrong way, so, I'll be editing momentarily.

arguskos
2010-04-20, 11:25 AM
It's not that your imagery is bad, just that mechanically, what you were doing doesn't work that well, and there are just better methods for it. It's a good image though, don't get me wrong. :smallwink:

ryleah
2010-04-20, 11:45 AM
Numbing Ray [Reserve]
I don't have to run fast, I just have to run faster than you
Prerequisites Ability to cast 1st level spells
Benefits As long as you have a cold spell of 2nd level or higher available to cast, you may make a ranged touch attack that creates a sheet of ice encasing the target. This sheet imposes a penalty to dexterity equal to 1+1/2 the level of the highest level [cold] spell you have prepared. For every 2 points of penalty added in this way the targets move speed is reduced by 5 feet and their flight maneuverability, if any, is lowered by one stage (perfect to good, good to average, etc....) These penalty's stack. As a full round action the a player targeted by this ray may attack the ice that coats them. The ice is effectively one inch thick for each point of penalty imposed, and the penalty is lessened by 1 point for each inch of ice removed in this manner.

Mulletmanalive
2010-04-20, 12:32 PM
I'd say that a Dex penalty for one or two rounds of a value equal to your highest level spell would be fine. Give it a descriptor, say Hinderance and you've got no issues of stacking.

After all, ice breaks when you move.

how about a fire Equivilent.

With a glance and a gesture, you ignite some exposed cloth or hair on the target. It's effects are minimal, save the panicked flailing needed to put it out.
Description: As long as you have a 2nd level fire spell or higher available, you may ignite a small amount of the clothing of a target within 30ft. The material smoulders and burns more like it was wicking oil and is itself not damaged; it does, however, hurt a lot and most people panic the moment they notice. at the beginning of each of its turns, the victim takes 1 point of Fire damage per level of your highest level Fire spell. The fire can be extinguished as a Standard action; those choosing to ignore it must make a Will save to avoid being compelled to extinguish the flames.

@Aguskos: Most Reserve feats basically replace the effects of 0th level spells with something more meaningful anyway...as far as i'm concerned, that's what they do, a bit like Realms of Chaos' at Will Fundamentals thing. Moving something like 2lb per spell level should be sufficient. That said, in the earliest versions, Magic Missile was basically a telekinesis effect. I'm never sure what "Force" is supposed to be any more...

ryleah
2010-04-20, 12:42 PM
Motewall [Reserve]
Missed me!:smalltongue:
Prerequisites able to cast third level spells
BenefitsAs long as you have an abjuration spell of 3rd level or higher available to cast, you may create a wall-shaped patch of floating magical motes, which is 20 square feet per 3 levels of the spell prepared and lasts for 1 round per 3 levels of the spell prepared. This wall is very difficult to see and requires a spot check equal to the save DC for the spell it is based off of. The moats are inert unless a projectile or targeted spell passes through the field, at which point the condense to form a tiny wall of force precisely in front of the offending missile, negating the attack and cause reactive projectiles (alchemist's fires, tanglefoot bags, fireballs, etc) to react at the point at which they come into contact with the wall

ryleah
2010-04-20, 12:47 PM
Forgot to give it a duration, oops!

ryleah
2010-04-20, 12:53 PM

Very cool, but how about the will save is to avoid panicking?

ryleah
2010-04-20, 12:57 PM
I'm never sure what "Force" is supposed to be any more...

(Mass x Velocity) / Time

arguskos
2010-04-20, 12:59 PM
Hmm. I like Smoulder a bit. I'll actually make the cycle of Energy Reserve Feats I was talking about, along with that Telekinesis and Animate Object feat, later tonight. I have to get goin' (got stuff to be doin').

Also, ryleah, uh, there is an Edit button. It's your friend. :smallwink:

Mulletmanalive
2010-04-20, 01:01 PM
The Panicked condition would just have the git running around on fire. Having based this one on a personal experience, you just start panickedly slapping at it until it goes out, rather than panicking in D&D terms. Hence why it's a save or be forced to put it out.

Also, very funny on the Force thing, smartarse, but I was referring to the descriptor, which used to be a keyword for sort of 'kinesis' while it now seems to be some kind of substance or other...

arguskos
2010-04-20, 06:51 PM
Also, I posted some more stuff and did some formatting in the first post. Should be easier to read now.

Oh, and I added everything but Motewall to the first post. Motewall, while nice, I think needs some more clarification on exactly what it does. It says "puts a wall of force in the way", which, while I can logically figure out what that does, RAW doesn't say much about it, save that it breaks LoS and LoE. Better to spell out the actually intended effect than leave vagaries (ie. say it actually negates the attack).

ryleah
2010-04-20, 08:29 PM
Deafening Roar duplicates the cantrip Horizikaul's Cough from the spell compendium, but weaker. Maybe the sonic one can force the opponent to make a balance check instead?
Check out my new base class, it's reserve feat based!
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149821
Motewall's edited:smallsmile:

arguskos
2010-04-21, 12:22 AM
Deafening Roar duplicates the cantrip Horizikaul's Cough from the spell compendium, but weaker. Maybe the sonic one can force the opponent to make a balance check instead?
Check out my new base class, it's reserve feat based!
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149821
Motewall's edited:smallsmile:
Deafening Roar also adds +1 CL to Sonic spells, which is a rare and fairly useful effect. :smallwink:

Also, I'll take a look at both Motewall and your class as I can.

Mulletmanalive
2010-04-21, 11:27 AM
I know that I'm beating the same drum, but would it be overpowered to have Corpsewalk grant a zombie with HD equal to the highest level Undead spell you have? If not, can we have it that way? It makes me more likely to actually want to take it. Preferably available from level one spells, too.

On Skinscorch, it would probably be more elegant to go with Bleeding 2 for Spell Level rounds instead, simply because having half levels does that whole "I might as well cast these spells because they're of no benefit in reserve" thing.

Similar issue with the Cold one. The Immobilisation effect...remind me, is that the one where you can't move but suffer no other ill effects or is it paralysis inder a different name? If the former, I can get behind that, but in the latter case, it seems like an SoS escalation and i think that would be a shame.

I'm not sure if this is fair but:

You can create painful phantasmal wounds that are convincing enough that the body reacts to them, wasting healing magic.
Description: As long as you have a 2nd level or higher Phantasm spell available to cast, you can create nasty wounds on the self image of a target within 60ft. The target gains 3 temporary damage per level of highest level Phantasm spell you have available; a Will save negates. Temporary damage are the inverse of Temporary hp. They are healed first, last for 1 minute and if the target is killed while still possessing temporary damage, they are merely unconscious. They remain this way until the damage time limit elapses and then can be roused based on their hp after the fact. Multiple applications of this feat do not stack, though their durations can overlap.

arguskos
2010-04-21, 11:45 AM
I know that I'm beating the same drum, but would it be overpowered to have Corpsewalk grant a zombie with HD equal to the highest level Undead spell you have? If not, can we have it that way? It makes me more likely to actually want to take it. Preferably available from level one spells, too.
There was a fairly compelling argument against that earlier. I figured a Zombie of HD 1/2 of spell level was fair for a feat. The reason it's not level 1 is cause the only other Reserve that gives you dudes (Summon Elemental) is level 4, and gives you better variety than Corpsewalk. I balanced Corpsewalk with the idea of "it's a scaling Summon Elemental that starts off worse and ends up better".

On Skinscorch, it would probably be more elegant to go with Bleeding 2 for Spell Level rounds instead, simply because having half levels does that whole "I might as well cast these spells because they're of no benefit in reserve" thing.
Well, 1+1/2 level means 2 damage base (rounding up), and is at level 1.

Similar issue with the Cold one. The Immobilisation effect...remind me, is that the one where you can't move but suffer no other ill effects or is it paralysis inder a different name? If the former, I can get behind that, but in the latter case, it seems like an SoS escalation and i think that would be a shame.
No no, Immobilized means you just can't move. I'm not giving them a crazy effect like Paralysis. :smalleek:

Ok, I did some editing. Bonechill, Skinscorch, Deafening Roar, Slowing Shock, and Blinding Spittle all have the same general format. Most of them last for 1 round/spell level, require a touch attack (ranged or otherwise), and give a save. The only one that lasts for 1/2 spell level is Slowing Shock, cause Slow is a really powerful condition.

I'm not sure if this is fair but:

That's... fairly bizarre, but ok then. I'll add it.

Oh, and I'll add Motewall too.

Mulletmanalive
2010-04-21, 05:01 PM
That's... fairly bizarre, but ok then. I'll add it.

I came to the conclusion that semi-real things kind of kicked the idea of illusion in the teeth some time ago and have been designing a collection of offensive Phantasms that deal a unique kind of damage that can't be resisted normally but is Mind-Affecting...

This is basically a conventional D&D friendly version of that.

There was a fairly compelling argument against that earlier. I figured a Zombie of HD 1/2 of spell level was fair for a feat. The reason it's not level 1 is cause the only other Reserve that gives you dudes (Summon Elemental) is level 4, and gives you better variety than Corpsewalk. I balanced Corpsewalk with the idea of "it's a scaling Summon Elemental that starts off worse and ends up better".

Actually, that was me, unless you posted that feat elsewhere first. I was, then, as now, saying that I thought that the feat was fine with my misread HD = Spell level interpretation, just that it seemed odd that the feat could never grant a regular 2HD zombie.

Zombies just ain't as dangerous as a blasting effect and unlike Elemental Summons, i can't just put the damn thing wherever i want.

Well, 1+1/2 level means 2 damage base (rounding up), and is at level 1.

This is true. It also leaves some levels of spell mostly pointless as for what the feat can do. There's no insentive to hold onto an odd numbered spell barring the save. This just seems shakey somehow. "Dead spell level?"

arguskos
2010-04-21, 06:15 PM
I came to the conclusion that semi-real things kind of kicked the idea of illusion in the teeth some time ago and have been designing a collection of offensive Phantasms that deal a unique kind of damage that can't be resisted normally but is Mind-Affecting...

This is basically a conventional D&D friendly version of that.
I'd be interested to see actual spells using it.

Actually, that was me, unless you posted that feat elsewhere first. I was, then, as now, saying that I thought that the feat was fine with my misread HD = Spell level interpretation, just that it seemed odd that the feat could never grant a regular 2HD zombie.

Zombies just ain't as dangerous as a blasting effect and unlike Elemental Summons, i can't just put the damn thing wherever i want.
I think FishAreWet mentioned it as well, or maybe that was a different thread...?

This is true. It also leaves some levels of spell mostly pointless as for what the feat can do. There's no insentive to hold onto an odd numbered spell barring the save. This just seems shakey somehow. "Dead spell level?"
Well, I dunno that I care overmuch about that phenomenon. It's an artifact of the way the feat works, which works as it does thanks to balance concerns (don't want to slow folks overlong or anything). *shrug* Not sure it can be avoided without getting super clunky or overpowering the feat.

Mulletmanalive
2010-04-21, 07:07 PM
I should have looked over the redone feats before commenting. Skinscorch is an exponential curve now so it's nasty at high levels. I like.

The slow one is fine, yeah.

i'll look into converting the phantasms back to the 10 level scale tomorrow maybe...[I use 21 spell "circles"]