PDA

View Full Version : Door Damage

AxeD
2010-04-16, 10:13 PM
Is it just me, or do the doors in the OotS universe do huge amounts of damage?

Examples:
OtOoPC spoiler: Pg 20: Elan slams a door open which hits a npc hard enough to knock him to the ground, and possibly unconsious
Daigo gets knocked on his ass twice from door damage (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0589.html)
Haley gets smacked down hard by Thog (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0396.html)

Should I be swapping my PC's current weapon with a door? :smalltongue:

Paranoid Tune
2010-04-16, 11:20 PM
I'm not sure I would claim the doors doing the actual damage. Doors don't just come unhinged and start attacking randomly, and if they do then you have larger problems to worry about. :smallwink:

In Thog's case he is wielding the door as a weapon, and being a half-orc fighter I think it's safe to assume he would have a pretty high strength score. The force he puts behind each attack would deal nice damage on it's own but with the edition of the door (I think of it as a flat wooden club) would only increase the damage further. It's easier to dodge a weapon or fist than a massive door being swung in your general direction.

In Daigo's case he is first caught unaware by a blow to the back of the skull, I can't imagine not falling down after that. Then with Therkla's charge into the room (what it is with half-orcs and door attacks? :smallbiggrin: ) it's easy to see how he was floored a second time.

If you lived in a world of rampaging monsters and unfriendly wilderness surrounding small towns, where attacks are common place, I'd like to live in a house with a heavily fortified, well constructed door myself. Wouldn't you?

On last note, I know you probably meant this as a joke so I apologize for delving so deeply into it, I was bored. I don't think you should switch your current weapon for a door however, though it might be handy on the field returning in an inn after a long day of killing and maiming I am left to wonder. How would you get your door through the door? :smalltongue:

Surfing HalfOrc
2010-04-17, 12:19 AM
I'm not sure I would claim the doors doing the actual damage. Doors don't just come unhinged and start acting randomly, and if they do then you have larger problems to worry about. :smallwink:

That's Right! Doors don't Kill, People Kill! You have the right to Own a Door! And the Right to Keep and Arm Bears! When They Outlaw Doors, Only Outlaws will have Doors! Vote for Me!

Skorj
2010-04-17, 12:59 AM
That's Right! Doors don't Kill, People Kill! You have the right to Own a Door! And the Right to Keep and Arm Bears! When They Outlaw Doors, Only Outlaws will have Doors! Vote for Me!

We're not falling for that one, it's clearly Half-Orcs that are the danger here, and your feeble distraction won't distract us from that! :smalltongue:

factotum
2010-04-17, 05:14 AM
I don't think any of those situations really show the door doing much damage--Daigo didn't appear to be seriously hurt after getting hit with one twice, after all. Knocking people off their feet isn't the same as damaging them.

Ancalagon
2010-04-17, 05:17 AM
If that's true the door would do bludgeoning damage. The conclusion is that Roy does not need a starmetal sword but a starmetal door to fight Xykon! :smalltongue:

Mastikator
2010-04-17, 05:18 AM
You could treat a door as an improvised huge greatclub.
A greatclub deals 1d10, a large version is 2d8. And a huge is therefore 3d8. That's a whoopig 3-24 + x1.5 str mod. In other words, yes, doors deal a lot of damage.

And yes, roy should seriously consider getting some kind of magical heavy flail, preferably undead bane, axiomatic or holy. Or all of the above :D
1d10+6d6 vs Xykon

ThePhantasm
2010-04-17, 08:53 AM
Doors are made out of trees, and we all know trees are deadly psychopaths.

The Succubus
2010-04-17, 09:16 AM
:elan: "This is the end...duh-duh-duhhh....beautiful friend...."

Herald Alberich
2010-04-17, 11:53 PM
You all are forgetting the most flagrant display of door-dealt destruction in the whole comic! Poor Xykon (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0115.html), that giant door never gave him a chance! :smallfrown:

:smalltongue:

AxeD
2010-04-18, 12:34 AM
You all are forgetting the most flagrant display of door-dealt destruction in the whole comic! Poor Xykon (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0115.html), that giant door never gave him a chance! :smallfrown:

Damn! That's how the OotS can defeat Xykon!
Vaarsuvius + bigbsy's grasping hand + rift

I need to post this into the "How to defeat a lich" thread!
Damn, I forgot that Xykon was defeated like that!

Kish
2010-04-18, 06:01 AM
Don't. Xykon was blown up by the ward Dorukan put over his Gate, not by an innate quality of all Gates.

Ancalagon
2010-04-18, 06:25 AM
Don't. Xykon was blown up by the ward Dorukan put over his Gate, not by an innate quality of all Gates.

Citation needed. Maybe it WAS the door all along that blew up those goblins and that also finished Xykon!!!1 ;)

magic9mushroom
2010-04-18, 07:01 AM
If that's true the door would do bludgeoning damage. The conclusion is that Roy does not need a starmetal sword but a starmetal door to fight Xykon! :smalltongue:

His sword appears to overcome Xykon's DR in spite of not being Bludgeoning.

Ancalagon
2010-04-18, 08:21 AM
His sword appears to overcome Xykon's DR in spite of not being Bludgeoning.

If the smiley did not help you to detect the purpose and the spirit of that post, then I fear even a sarcasm-, irony-, or a general-joke-detector might be wasted money on your end. -> :smalltongue: <-

licoot
2010-04-18, 08:45 AM
If you had a door slammed hard into your head the least in would do is knock you over, considering thog actually hit haley with a door, I'm surprised he didn't do worse

Ancalagon
2010-04-18, 08:54 AM
As improvised weapon and as Thog probably does not have "Weapon Proficiency: Doors" it should not have dealt too much damage. ;)

magic9mushroom
2010-04-18, 08:55 AM
If the smiley did not help you to detect the purpose and the spirit of that post, then I fear even a sarcasm-, irony-, or a general-joke-detector might be wasted money on your end. -> :smalltongue: <-

I'm very bad at such things. I chalk it up to my Asperger's. :smallfrown:

licoot
2010-04-18, 08:57 AM
As improvised weapon and as Thog probably does not have "Weapon Proficiency: Doors" it should not have dealt too much damage. ;)

Yeah, but staying strictly to rules aside, if someone is strong enough to effortlessly hold a door like a weapon, I reckon if he hit you with it that might hurt

veti
2010-04-18, 11:10 PM
I once had a... party member, yes, that's the nice neutral term - who took "weapon proficiency: furniture", simply because you can always find something to hit people with when you're otherwise unarmed. I wouldn't be surprised if Thog did the same, he seems the type.

I think he was the same guy who later took "weapon proficiency: fellow-PC".

John Cribati
2010-04-18, 11:17 PM
I once had a... party member, yes, that's the nice neutral term - who took "weapon proficiency: furniture", simply because you can always find something to hit people with when you're otherwise unarmed. I wouldn't be surprised if Thog did the same, he seems the type.

Totally Sigging.

Torick
2010-04-19, 12:38 AM

I have got to house-rule this one in. Duel-wielding halfling rangers as bludgeoning weapons, here I come! (And I haven't even scratched the surface of the possibilities - maybe fellow PCs can be thrown weapons? Or perhaps projectiles, flung from oversized slings?)

derfenrirwolv
2010-04-19, 12:49 AM
A lack of weapon proficiency penalizes you to hit.. not to damage. Haley outside of her armor is an easy whack for a high level half orc barbarian.

The doors damage is sort of like the barbarians d12+ 247 damage power attack. Its thog swinging it, its going to hurt.

Lecan
2010-04-19, 12:36 PM

So, Warriors can dual-wield Mages is what you are saying?

Orzel
2010-04-19, 01:07 PM
So, Warriors can dual-wield Mages is what you are saying?

I had a 10 minute argument with a DM because he said pixie sorcerers don't count as light weapons.
But that ranger had weapon prof: doorknob, not door.

Ancalagon
2010-04-19, 01:17 PM
I had a 10 minute argument with a DM because he said pixie sorcerers don't count as light weapons.

... and after those ten minutes he sent you out of the door and could not decide to laugh or to cry? ;)

Orzel
2010-04-19, 01:24 PM
... and after those ten minutes he sent you out of the door and could not decide to laugh or to cry? ;)

Oh he did worse. He let met keep them.
Then choose their spells, skills, and feats. :smallannoyed:

Rassing Frassing Toughness three times.

Cleverdan22
2010-04-19, 01:39 PM
I don't think the doors themselves do much damage. You'll notice that many creatures are often slain in one hit, when regularly it would take more than that to do it, but Rich doesn't feel the need to show such long, drawn out, but accurate battles. However, that was an impressive catch there, about how many times people get owned by doors.

Scarlet Knight
2010-04-19, 02:23 PM

Truly, for what is a gate if not an extemely lawful door?

Pyron
2010-04-19, 02:47 PM
Is it just me, or do the doors in the OotS universe do huge amounts of damage?

If you ask me, it's open to interpretation.

Herald Alberich
2010-04-19, 05:43 PM
I don't think the doors themselves do much damage. You'll notice that many creatures are often slain in one hit, when regularly it would take more than that to do it, but Rich doesn't feel the need to show such long, drawn out, but accurate battles. However, that was an impressive catch there, about how many times people get owned by doors.

That's true. To take another example, severed heads, which really shouldn't be traveling all that fast, kill on at least two (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0435.html) occasions (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0461.html).

Wait, three (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0441.html), counting the zombie dragon head, but that one makes some sense. It's larger and fell farther than the others.

derfenrirwolv
2010-04-19, 05:59 PM
I once had a 2e fighter specialized in the chair. And darts (which he used for knitting needles)

John Cribati
2010-04-19, 06:03 PM
I figured that doors should technically increase the chance of hitting, since they're so wide.

The MunchKING
2010-04-19, 07:44 PM
I don't think you should switch your current weapon for a door however, though it might be handy on the field returning in an inn after a long day of killing and maiming I am left to wonder. How would you get your door through the door? :smalltongue:

Turn it sideways, duh. :smalltongue:

Just like any wide weapon.