PDA

View Full Version : How to Run Weak Spots?

AustontheGreat1
2010-04-16, 10:27 PM
So I have a guy who can only be hurt by being hit in the head (Hes a vargouille necromancer who rides upon a animated zombie body) when he's attacked, how would you determine what hurts him and what doesn't? He keeps the fact a secret and no one knows that he must be hit in the head, as of yet.

IonDragon
2010-04-16, 10:29 PM
A secret 1d6 roll?
1: Head
2: Right Arm
3: Left Arm
4: Right Leg
5: Left Leg
6: Body

Flob
2010-04-16, 10:32 PM
A secret 1d6 roll?
1: Head
2: Right Arm
3: Left Arm
4: Right Leg
5: Left Leg
6: Body

Its a good idea, but seeing as a body is large compared to the rest of ones, umm... body, I think it should be 1d8.
1: Body
2: Body
3: Body
4: Right Arm
5: Left Arm
6: Right Leg
7: Left Leg
8: Head

Lord Vukodlak
2010-04-16, 10:40 PM
If they don't know they won't hit it period,
Look to the Hydra, you can strike at the body or sunder the heads. But its a different mode of attack. If the guys fighting the Vargoyle don't know. So baring special circumstances they wouldn't target the head at all,

*However someone with ranks in knowledge the planes, undead or decent ranks in spot may simply notice the head and the body are separate entities.

IonDragon
2010-04-16, 10:44 PM
If they don't know they won't hit it period,
Look to the Hydra, you can strike at the body or sunder the heads. But its a different mode of attack. If the guys fighting the Vargoyle don't know. So baring special circumstances they wouldn't target the head at all,

*However someone with ranks in knowledge the planes, undead or decent ranks in spot may simply notice the head and the body are separate entities.

I don't know about you, but when I'm in a fight I always aim for the head. Auto kill for zombies, and double damage for humans ;)

rayne_dragon
2010-04-16, 11:02 PM
I don't know about you, but when I'm in a fight I always aim for the head. Auto kill for zombies, and double damage for humans ;)

Hitting someone in the head is great if you get the chance, but it isn't the easiest spot to get a good shot/swing at. Personally, I tend to slice at extremities until my opponent is worn down enough to leave a good opening for their head or torso. Even then given a moving target there's a decent chance you don't hit exactly what you were aiming for, but you do tend to end up in a similar area: head, neck, upper torso, or shoulders. Places where all the vital organs are located. You're also not likely to hit someone in the legs in melee combat if you're not trying to.

Vitruviansquid
2010-04-16, 11:13 PM
I would say roll a secret d8 every time they hit. On 8, it's a hit at the head. Or change the die to whatever you find necessary.

However, if the players ever describe that they aim at the head on a hit, count it as such. During the fight, you should also allow the players to find out that they should be hitting a weak spot. Allow them to find out the weak spot with knowledge checks, perception (or equivalent in any system), and so on. Perhaps if your players just don't seem to be getting it, make the reveal by DM fiat.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-04-16, 11:19 PM
Sorry to be a party-pooper here, but this should be left to the abstract concept of Armor Class. Just give him a certain AC bonus due to the fact most of him in invulnerable.

After all, you wouldn't do this when your players are fighting a dragon:

PC: I roll to hit ... 20!
DM: Well, the dragon's scales are exceptionally tough. You need to place your arrow in the small gap between the scales to hit him. And since you didn't specify you're aiming for the gaps, it's a miss.
PC: But... I rolled a 20!
DM: Go tell someone who cares.

No, of course you wouldn't. That would be retarded. The dragon's lack of vulnerability is simply expressed as Natural AC bonus. No reason your guy can't be dealt with the same way.

Lord Vukodlak
2010-04-16, 11:20 PM

There are no called shots traditionally in D&D, hitting vital areas is covered by critical hits which undead are immune to. In D&D if you decapitate a zombie with say a vorpal sword you accomplish absolutely nothing they aren't George A. Romero zombies. There is no called shot to hit a human its an abstract hit point system.

IonDragon
2010-04-16, 11:23 PM
There are no called shots traditionally in D&D, hitting vital areas is covered by critical hits which undead are immune to. In D&D if you decapitate a zombie with say a vorpal sword you accomplish absolutely nothing they aren't George A. Romero zombies. There is no called shot to hit a human its an abstract hit point system.

Which sounds more like a problem for the OP, than for me. I was simply stating that whenever I'm aiming (Read: NOT D&D) I'll be aiming for the head.

Sinfire Titan
2010-04-16, 11:30 PM
The proper way to do a weak point is to make it a Touch Attack.

Draconomicon has a feat that lets you make a Spot check to turn the next attack into a Touch Attack.

Complete Scoundrel has a Skill Trick that does the same.

Bo9S has the Emerald Razor maneuver (Diamond Mind 2), which means it's a feat via Martial Study.

Just, don't give them a bonus to damage. Or make the attack an Auto-Crit. Called Shots were not meant to be a separate mechanic from AC.

OracleofWuffing
2010-04-16, 11:46 PM
Which sounds more like a problem for the OP, than for me. I was simply stating that whenever I'm aiming (Read: NOT D&D) I'll be aiming for the head.

Bweh heh heh heh heh... You'll be no match for my headless horseman! :smalltongue:

PhoenixRivers
2010-04-17, 12:02 AM
Rolls that would Crit hit the head. No extra damage (immune to crits), but they hit the head. If a player figures out? Called shot, -6 penalty to hit.

Admiral Squish
2010-04-17, 12:06 AM
I'd do it as a secret 50% miss chance. <50 targets body, >50 gets the head. Change the numbers as you will.

But I have to ask. How do they not notice the wing-ears and the tentacle-hair and the glowing green mouth?

Deth Muncher
2010-04-17, 12:09 AM
I'd do it as a secret 50% miss chance. <50 targets body, >50 gets the head. Change the numbers as you will.

But I have to ask. How do they not notice the wing-ears and the tentacle-hair and the glowing green mouth?

Epic Disguise Check!

erikun
2010-04-17, 12:13 AM
How many HP does the body have?

The AC value already takes into account how difficult it is to hit a small target. If the character's AC is based on the body, just give a +8 AC bonus (or something) to the head. Attacks which hit the body's AC hit and damage the body, while attacks that hit the body's AC +8 (including natural 20s) hit and damage the head.

If you are using the head's AC seperately, then give the head a +4 AC (because opponents aren't always targeting the head) and use the body's AC seperately. Again, attacks that hit the body's AC damage the body while attacks that hit the head's AC (with the +4) damage the head instead.

Sinfire Titan
2010-04-17, 12:14 AM
Rolls that would Crit hit the head. No extra damage (immune to crits), but they hit the head. If a player figures out? Called shot, -6 penalty to hit.

Two words: True Strike.

Two more: Sure Strike.

One more word: Incarnum.

-6? Negligible. Seriously, never just impose a penalty to balance out an Auto-Crit. It just does not work out in your favor.

AustontheGreat1
2010-04-17, 12:24 AM

They notice it, but in this campaign, characters aren't familiar with the supernatural world just yet. so they wound understand the significance just yet.

The AC value already takes into account how difficult it is to hit a small target. If the character's AC is based on the body, just give a +8 AC bonus (or something) to the head. Attacks which hit the body's AC hit and damage the body, while attacks that hit the body's AC +8 (including natural 20s) hit and damage the head.

I think I'm going to go with this. It's the simplest, and it makes sense.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Knaight
2010-04-17, 12:49 AM
Alternately, a general method of simulating weak spots is through Power Attack or similar. Just change the multiplier to simulate going for weak spots that are exceptionally notable.

Magnor Criol
2010-04-17, 01:00 AM
I think I'm going to go with this. It's the simplest, and it makes sense.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

That does strike the best balance between sensible simulation and easy implementation. I would, however, like to strongly suggest you find some way to illustrate the fact if the players figure out the weak spot somehow.

Don't implement a "called shot" system, but in light of the fact that the characters would naturally be aiming a bit more for the head once they know, lessen the AC gap a little. (Not entirely - the head's still harder to hit! - just a little, since they'll be trying a harder to hit that area specifically.)

Also, what happens if they fell the zombie body without killing the head? You've figured that part out, right? Because I guarantee you that if you don't, it'll happen. :smalltongue:

Seriously though, unless the body's somehow indestructible, it's entirely likely that in a fight they'll hit the body AC enough to destroy it. Make sure you have a plan for what your guy does then. Does he play possum until they leave? Does he detach from the body? Does he have spares somewhere?

PhoenixRivers
2010-04-17, 01:03 AM
Two words: True Strike.

Two more: Sure Strike.

One more word: Incarnum.

-6? Negligible. Seriously, never just impose a penalty to balance out an Auto-Crit. It just does not work out in your favor.

It's not an "auto crit". It's accuracy based on knowledge vs accuracy based on luck.

The crit represents luck, in hitting a more vulnerable area. Once that vulnerable area is known, aiming can make up for it.

The "crit" is the discovery mechanism. Beyond that, it's meant to serve no purpose.

EDIT: And this method HAS worked out in my favor, when I run zombie apocalypse. So yeah.