PDA

View Full Version : For Snipers, I have a suggestion

sienn_sconn
2010-04-17, 12:10 AM
Something that I did for a sniper build i'm currently working on is using a PrC from the Revised Edition of Star Wars, effectively making it the Star Wars equivilant of 3.5 DnD. I use feats pretty interchangably, with minor modifications, so why not certain PrCs or other things that people want to use?

With the sniper build, I used the Sharpshooter PrC, which is what it's name says it is: specializing in eliminating targets from range. The requirements are fairly low, with the possibility of a character getting in after 4 Levels of a core class (one with good BAB).

This is a class straight from the Star Wars Hero's Guide.

Class features include Long Range Sneak Attack (as long as no range penalty is suffered, you may sneak attack), Extend Range (doubling range increments), and Preferred weapon (bonuses with selected weapon)

There's not alot of magic involved with this class. This guy can snipe all day as long as he has arrows or bolts. With a heavy crossbow and a gnome crossbow sight, at 12th level this guy can sneak attack from 900 feet, once again without magical enhancement. Give him good support and good position, and that range increases to 1500 feet.
Of course, the addition of a +1 distance heavy crossbow jumps this to 3000 feet, for a paltry 8000 gp. Other magical enhancement can help as well, but he doesn't need the magic to operate if you play in a low-magic campaign. Combine with Cragtop Archer (who gets Arcing Shot and Horizon Shot), sneak attack from 4500 feet! A mile-long sneak attack (without magic)! Combine with the +1 distance heavy crossbow for 9000 feet of sneak attacking awesomeness! Of course i just realized that you would take a
-900 penalty on your spot check to see your target. hmmm, maybe a few more ranks in spot will get rid of the penalty ?:smallbiggrin: Even a Cragtop archer would still take a -450 penalty. Dang! Can anyone see anything of any shape or size with such a penalty?! well, there goes that idea:smallsmile:

Anyway, there is my suggestion for an amazing sniper build. Use Sharpshooter.

sofawall
2010-04-17, 12:22 AM
I think this belongs in homebrew.

Also, saying "snipers who want to be good should take this homebrew class" isn't very helpful, almost all of the time.

BEEP.

sienn_sconn
2010-04-17, 12:40 AM
I think this belongs in homebrew.

Also, saying "snipers who want to be good should take this homebrew class" isn't very helpful, almost all of the time.

BEEP.

This is not a homebrew class, this is taken from a Revised Edition Star Wars Supplement (Hero's Guide, to be specific), basically Star Wars 3.5, written by Wizards of the Coast. Also, I never said that "snipers who want to be good should take this class." I said "this is my suggestion for an amazing sniper build." Not that it was the end-all, be-all, but rather what i would do if i wanted a good long range sniper. I have not had the opportunity to be a PC as often as i have been GM, thus the build based around this class is theoretical. If people try it and like it, good for them. If they hate it, that's their opinion. Until i get to play the concept, i won't even know. What looks good on paper may not always be practical in the gameroom.

Tavar
2010-04-17, 12:43 AM
Umm...copy pastes from published books like this aren't allowed on the boards, due to copyright infringement.

Also, while this may work in a Star Wars Revised Edition game, it doesn't really solve the issue in DnD.

Alleine
2010-04-17, 12:43 AM
Unless this is OGC, I'm pretty sure this violates the rules (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/announcement.php?f=30&a=1). Under 'posting copyrighted content'. Its usually best to err on the safe side.

sienn_sconn
2010-04-17, 01:02 AM
Unless this is OGC, I'm pretty sure this violates the rules (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/announcement.php?f=30&a=1). Under 'posting copyrighted content'. Its usually best to err on the safe side.

Sorry, i was just trying to be helpful. You are right. I should have just let people know which book and for what system.

sofawall
2010-04-17, 01:03 AM
Umm...copy pastes from published books like this aren't allowed on the boards, due to copyright infringement.

This being why I thought it was homebrew.

sienn_sconn
2010-04-17, 01:10 AM

Also, while this may work in a Star Wars Revised Edition game, it doesn't really solve the issue in DnD.

Wasn't copypasted, i typed it all myself. It has now been corrected.

It's not meant to solve any issue, it is merely a suggestion from a person who looked beyond DnD to Star Wars, and found something that people might like try for a sniper build.

Sofawall, i was not trying to mislead anyone. I apologize to those whom i have inconvienced. I have corrected what was told me was wrong. I got excited and just typed. I will endeavor not to do this again.