PDA

View Full Version : Spell gatling

Nidogg
2010-04-17, 04:04 AM
What is the most number of spells that a caster can cast in a round? This is purely hypothetical so build sugestions can use much cheese. So far I can only think of 3 (normal, quick , rapid summoning)

Sinfire Titan
2010-04-17, 04:08 AM
Let's see:

1 Normal
1 Quickened or Immediate (they count against the same limit)
3 via Arcane Fusion
6 additional if Shapechanged into a Black Ethergaunt

11 total.

JaronK
2010-04-17, 04:16 AM
Rock the Factotum levels. A Human Factotum 8/X2/Ur Priest 2 who got Iron Will from that hole and had two flaws who then spent the rest of his feats (9) on Font of Inspiration can get 50 Inspiration points, enough for 16 extra standard actions. That's 17 standard action spells, plus a swift action spell. He can do this once per encounter if he has enough spells left that day. He even has a move action left.

I'm assuming we're not counting Time Stop rounds as being all part of one round, right?

JaronK

Emmerask
2010-04-17, 04:17 AM
Let's see:

1 Normal
3 via Arcane Fusion

11 total.

+ given white raven tactics (from ally)

22 total ^^

Runestar
2010-04-17, 04:41 AM
Let's see:

1 Normal
3 via Arcane Fusion

11 total.

How does ethergaunt let you cast additional spells?

JaronK
2010-04-17, 04:44 AM
I think he meant spellweaver, but that would only give level 1 spells.

JaronK

PhoenixRivers
2010-04-17, 04:50 AM
Beholder Mage (10 free)
+ Swift (Quickened Twinned Synchronicity) - 3 (Expend yours and Psicrystal focus)
+ Move (Recover focus)
+ Standard (Twinned Synchonicity) 3
+ WRT (From Psicrystal) = x2
+ Anticipatory Strike = x2

= 39 total.

Wizard 1 / Ardent 2 / Beholder mage 10 / Ardent +7

With a bit more work on the psionic side, I'm sure I could reach Arbitrarily Large (as in, as many as you want).

Runestar
2010-04-17, 04:52 AM
The nagahydra in serpent kingdoms can cast 1 spell/head, or up to 7 spells/round. Would shapechange grant this ability to the caster?

A beholder mage can theoretically cast up to 12 spells/round (10 from eyes, 1 normal, 1 quickened).

Radar
2010-04-17, 04:55 AM
Sorcerers Arcane Spellsurge changes standar action casting time to swift (this is not Quicken) and full-round to standard. If Twin Spell (or Repeat) is not a valid option, then through use of Greater Arcane Fusion (with two Arcane Fusions inside each and not counting Arcane Fusions themselves):
1 from Immediate action
4 from swift
4 from standard
I don't know about the Black Ethergaunt, but supposedly it could be used here as well giving a total of 15. Any source of additional actions (Belt of Battle or some such) would obviously increase the total.

Then there are infinite loops. If Sanctum Spell trick is not possible (i still can't find the errata, that invalidates this use - if someone can link to it, i would be grateful), then it can be replicated with the Killer Gnome (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872354/Shadowcraft_Mage_Handbook). Without any effort the build chugs out Miracles from 8th level slots, which can be easily lowered to 7th with Invisible Spell (or any other +0 metamagic, since Silent Image is Arcane Thesised). So Miracle can replicate any 7th level spell, we choose twinked out Silent Image, which will replicate another Miracle and so on and so forth giving a total of Aleph_0 spells. With additional effort the replicated 7th level spell can be a Twinned twinked out Silent Image boosting the spell total up to Aleph_1.
Sanctum Spell loop is about the same only a bit less complicated:
Arcane Fusion -> Twinned Sanctum Arcane Fusion (counts as a 3rd level spell) + some 1st level spell

Prime32
2010-04-17, 07:54 AM
There's a way to use a wand as a free action once per turn (Prophecy's Artifex or something).

The psionic power schism gets you an extra spell at lower CL, but only if it has no components.

Yora
2010-04-17, 08:22 AM
Also Time Stop. It only appears to the caster to last for 1d4+1 rounds, but in fact takes place all within a split-second

Amiel
2010-04-17, 08:25 AM
If you're post 20 levels, don't forget Multispell; apparently one of the most broken feats in existence. It nets you another quickened spell within the same round. Note that it can taken multiple times and its effects stack...

Eldariel
2010-04-17, 09:24 AM
Add Eyes of the Oracle to Phoenix's build for few more on discharge. Also, Wyrm Wizard Arcane Fusion for some doublings here and there. And yeah, if involving Psionics, looping it infinitely is pretty rudimentary. Synchronity + Affinity Field, for example. You'll get Standard Actions out of all that so just profit.

Pyro_Azer
2010-04-17, 09:52 AM
Don't forget about contingencies that can be set off as a free action.

Wings of Peace
2010-04-17, 10:21 AM
As many as he wants and can cast per day if he multiclasses via Synchronicity + Dual Affinity Field abuse. If that same caster then blatantly cheeses an arbitrarily Faustian Pact and combines it with Arcane Manipulation then the second limitation becomes of significantly less importance than the first.

Sinfire Titan
2010-04-17, 03:42 PM
I think he meant spellweaver, but that would only give level 1 spells.

JaronK

Yeah, I mixed the two up by accident. Spellweaver is the one.

Harperfan7
2010-04-18, 01:38 PM
A swiftblade 9 with double wand wielder and quicken spell can do four, technically.

herrhauptmann
2010-04-18, 01:52 PM
A swiftblade 9 with double wand wielder and quicken spell can do four, technically.

Double wand is 2 spells alone.
Does having a single quickened wand mean you can cast twice in a round? If so, that swiftblade should be doing 6 a round or should not bother with having quickened wands. Swiftblade nets you a second standard action.

But if you're going to do swiftblade, take swiftblade 10. Level 16, caster level 12.
First round, quickened haste, then haste again, as a timestop, and one other spell for your second standard action.
Now each round of the timestop nets you 2 standard actions and a move action. And I believe your timestop lasts for 3 rounds.
So 6 spells in timestop (before using any quickened or contingencies), and the 3 from the round where you made a timestop.
The lower caster level really hurts your total number of spells though, so doing this more than twice a day is pretty much impossible I figure.