PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Help me build a Duskblade!

whiskytangofoxt
2010-04-17, 12:28 PM
Hey, so I'm invited to a game, and need a character (pref. just using Core stuff) and have decided on Duskblade.

So can anyone suggest good spells, feats or races to go for? I'm normally a bit rubbish with these kind of things (I prefer to DM) and have been known to put out sub-optimal characters before. I don't want a super-min/maxed character, but a well-balanced all-round useful spell/swordsman would be ace!

WTF

Eldariel
2010-04-17, 12:32 PM
Duskblade is not a core class. What exactly are you restricted to?

Ernir
2010-04-17, 12:34 PM
Have you seen the Duskblade Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=525.0)?

The thing I'd like to point out the most is this post from later in the thread:

Let me save everyone a bunch of time: your first four feats (or 4 of your first 5 if you're human) will be power attack, knowledge devotion, obtain familiar, and arcane strike. Don't argue it, don't question it, just accept it.
Which is... fairly good advice, I'd say.

Duskblades are rather hard to completely mess up, you shouldn't have to worry too much.

Alvrick
2010-04-17, 12:40 PM
if you want to be balanced make sure you put at least 15 into strength, and since it's your casting stat you should have minimum 14 in intelligence, more if your going to be doing a lot of spells that allow saving throws. my suggestion is to use either Human or, if you can convince your DM, a strongheart halfling

As far as feats go take some things that enhance spellcasting, like metamagic combined with arcane thesis, or maybe the sudden metamagic feats. It's hard to make duskblade overpowered, but not impossible, and it's equally hard to make it underpowered, so have some fun with it

to be honest, you're just better off taking sorcerer or Wizard, but, like you said, you're not looking for batman

whiskytangofoxt
2010-04-17, 01:01 PM
Hah it's not core, but it's core enough (PHBII) - i think the dude just doesn't want a super-duper collection of weird races and classes to cope with, and even compared to the actual core classes, Duskblade is a nice balanced one (Hell, better balanced than some of the Core classes *coughDruidcough*)

And yeah, while the other guys are gonna take the normal classes, hell, they did that when I ran them a game and let them go all out with whatever they wanted, so I'm happy to throw something a wee bit extra in.

Plus, I'm sick of playing bloody Squishy Casters. I want some BEEF! But not too much :smallbiggrin:

the humanity
2010-04-17, 02:29 PM
so you want, maybe 1-2 splatbooks outside of PHII, max? and only if it really pops?

well, if you have Complete Champion definitely go for knowledge devotion.

and combining dimension hop with reach weapons always appealed to me.

Eldariel
2010-04-17, 02:33 PM
If it wasn't emphasized enough, pick up Power Attack. You have True Strike and Quick Cast. You do the math. Also, yeah, Arcane Strike, Knowledge Devotion and Obtain Familiar (Aid Another in everything, ½ your HP, your BAB and skills, and Polymorph into mean things, for example) and Power Attack are all amazing, as allowed. Arcane Strike/Knowledge Devotion/Obtain Familiar are Complete Warrior/Champion/Arcane, respectively.

Thurbane
2010-04-17, 06:52 PM
I'm DMing a group that includes a Dwarf Duskblade. He uses Battle Caster to cast in full plate, and makes good use of the Knowledge Devotion feat.

amaranth69
2010-04-20, 02:13 PM
Personally, I would go with the spiked chain or a halberd with the short haft feat, reach and being able to attack adjacent enemies is awesome. Also, I like combat reflexes, but my duskblade travels in a group with two melee fighters, so one of my main goals is to keep enemies away from the squishies. That, and as already stated, power attack and knowledge devotion are perfect.

Barlen
2010-04-20, 03:29 PM
My 2 cents:
For spells try the following:
1st: True strike, Magic weapon(retrain when you get greater), Shocking grasp (key spell, take at 3rd), +2 more
2nd: Dimension Hop, Ghoul Touch(also a key spell), Touch of Idiocy, Swift Fly
3rd:Vampiric Touch(key spell), Greater Magic Weapon

At 5th when you get quick cast for the first time you can quick cast true strike and then hit with ghoul touch for a very nice no save paralysis "I win button" 1/day. Hit wizards you want to stop/capture with this followed by touch of idiocy (they can't resist at that point since they are paralyzed).

I always thought since duskblades made nice damage dealers just go with the standard 2h greatsword and butcher things. Either Power attack - improved sunder - Combat brute or Power attack - improved bullrush - shock trooper should work nice. Possibly WF greatsword, Improved init, or as someone else suggested Arcane strike.

Make str your highest priority, and if you expect to see higher than level 15 make sure you start with 14 Int and add 1 at level 16 so you can cast the 5th level spells. More int than that is a waste as you should be concentrating on touch attack spells and don't need it for a spell DC. Your str bonus helps more with landing the spells =)

Ormagoden
2010-04-20, 03:38 PM
Have you seen the Duskblade Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=525.0)?

Yes + that.

Blackfang108
2010-04-20, 04:26 PM
I'm DMing a group that includes a Dwarf Duskblade. He uses Battle Caster to cast in full plate,...

Is that a feat? If so, it's a waste of a feat. Mithril FullPlate gets this automatically by class level. (Can't rememeber the exact level you get Medium Armor casting, but Mithril Full Plate is medium armor, and all around better than basic full plate.)

Thurbane
2010-04-21, 02:04 AM
Is that a feat? If so, it's a waste of a feat. Mithril FullPlate gets this automatically by class level. (Can't rememeber the exact level you get Medium Armor casting, but Mithril Full Plate is medium armor, and all around better than basic full plate.)
It is indeed a feat (CArc), but in the campaign setting and WBL limits he has, mithril plate is not a viable option at this point...

Keld Denar
2010-04-21, 02:16 AM
Everyone suggests Mithril Full Plate, but the reality is that it costs 10k+. Thats some serious cash. Like, a +2 Str, a +2 Int, and a +1 weapon worth. Even when you are talkin 9th level, when your WBL is 36,000g, throwing over 1/4 of your cash on it is kinda a waste, IMO.

Now, by the time you hit ECL 12 or so, THEN the cash becomes more worth it, but by then, the +3 AC you get from it over breastplate is marginal.

Fact of the matter, AC is WAY to expensive to max out mundanely.

The Cat Goddess
2010-04-21, 03:31 AM
It's insanely easy for a Duskblade to qualify for the Green Star Adept PrC. Not a great PrC for Wizard/Sorcerer, but works decently with Duskblade.

Blackfang108
2010-04-21, 09:32 AM
It is indeed a feat (CArc), but in the campaign setting and WBL limits he has, mithril plate is not a viable option at this point...

The problems with basic Full Plate (even being able to cast in it):
It slows you down too much (unless your a dwarf), and it KILLS your skill checks that it applies to.

If you have a Positive Dex Modifier, I really have to say that Brestplates work better if Mithril's out of the question, IME.

Grifthin
2010-04-21, 09:48 AM

All info you need for your build you will find there. Tought me alot. Some nifty idea's too - I went for a Human Dragonborn of bahaumut with wings aspect and a spiked chain. Good times. It's my current character.

Amphetryon
2010-04-21, 10:43 AM
Duskblade + Wyrm Wizard (as per the handbook link) = good times.

Thurbane
2010-04-21, 04:27 PM
The problems with basic Full Plate (even being able to cast in it):
It slows you down too much (unless your a dwarf), and it KILLS your skill checks that it applies to.

If you have a Positive Dex Modifier, I really have to say that Brestplates work better if Mithril's out of the question, IME.
The character is, in fact, a Dwarf, and has a DEX modifier of 0, so full plate works for him. :smallwink: