PDA

View Full Version : Gestalt with a Monster Class (3.5)

Kuzimu
2010-04-17, 12:53 PM
Out of curiosity, how does one gestalt with a monster class? Do they get HD every level now based on the other class hit dice, or do they not, but get the higher of the two HD on whatever level the monster class would normally gain levels?

Sorry if this doesn't make much sense, but i'm not quite sure to explain what I'm asking. Thank you!

Ernir
2010-04-17, 12:57 PM
As always with playing monsters, it's something you will have to talk to your DM about.

But I'm fairly certain that The Rules say you'll get a HD every level. Even if the monster class doesn't give you a HD, the other class presumably does. In gestalt, you take the better of the two. Since any HD at all is better than no HD, you get the HD of the other class. :smalltongue:

Yorrin
2010-04-17, 02:04 PM
But I'm fairly certain that The Rules say you'll get a HD every level. Even if the monster class doesn't give you a HD, the other class presumably does. In gestalt, you take the better of the two. Since any HD at all is better than no HD, you get the HD of the other class. :smalltongue:

Just to confirm this is how I read/DM it.

Starbuck_II
2010-04-17, 02:13 PM
Darn, I thought it was going to be about taking 2 monster class at same time.

Basically, you are a hybrid: part succubus/part Ghaele.

Volthawk
2010-04-17, 02:35 PM
Darn, I thought it was going to be about taking 2 monster class at same time.

Basically, you are a hybrid: part succubus/part Ghaele.

How about Earth Elemental//Fire Elemental?

Volcano Elemental!

HunterOfJello
2010-04-17, 02:50 PM
Savage Species

Volthawk
2010-04-17, 02:51 PM
Savage Species

:smallconfused:

What was that in answer to?

Optimystik
2010-04-17, 02:55 PM
I assume he was referring the OP to the monster class progressions in that book.

Starbuck_II
2010-04-17, 02:56 PM
How about Earth Elemental//Fire Elemental?

Volcano Elemental!

1st lv: +4 Str, +2 Dex, -8 Int. Fire/Earth subtype. improved init + Power Attack. Sam 1d6+ 1d4 fire. Earth Mastery. +6 NA. Earth Movement.

I'm not liking the INT penalty. Although the NA and Str bonus isn't bad.

HunterOfJello
2010-04-17, 02:57 PM
:smallconfused:

What was that in answer to?

the entire thread

Starbuck_II
2010-04-17, 03:00 PM
the entire thread

No, it doesn't.
He asked how Gestalt + savage species interact.
Savage Species doesn't mention: that would require them to see the future.

Volthawk
2010-04-17, 03:01 PM
the entire thread

Except SS doesn't mention gestalt once, which isn't surprising. We're talking about how gestalt effects monster classes, which isn't detailed in the SS monster class rules.

1st lv: +4 Str, +2 Dex, -8 Int. Fire/Earth subtype. improved init + Power Attack. Sam 1d6+ 1d4 fire. Earth Mastery. +6 NA. Earth Movement.

I'm not liking the INT penalty. Although the NA and Str bonus isn't bad.

Yeah, but would you get the Earth Elemental speed (20ft) or the Fire Elemental speed (50ft)? I guess it would work like BAB and saves - highest applies.

Then again, I'm pretty sure this is illegal in the rules, since it's basically you being 2 races at once...

Beorn080
2010-04-17, 03:10 PM
Then again, I'm pretty sure this is illegal in the rules, since it's basically you being 2 races at once...

Half Fire elemental, half earth elemental. Gestalt it with that become a dragon prestige class for more fun.

Volthawk
2010-04-17, 03:11 PM
Half Fire elemental, half earth elemental. Gestalt it with that become a dragon prestige class for more fun.

Yeah, it's amazing what gestalt opens up...

Starbuck_II
2010-04-17, 03:13 PM
Yeah, but would you get the Earth Elemental speed (20ft) or the Fire Elemental speed (50ft)? I guess it would work like BAB and saves - highest applies.

Highest applies.
Well, they never thought of gestalt. So Volcano Elemental is what race is called. I'd play it if I wanted a dumb, but strong warrior with elemental prowress.

Volthawk
2010-04-17, 03:16 PM
Highest applies.
Well, they never thought of gestalt. So Volcano Elemental is what race is called. I'd play it if I wanted a dumb, but strong warrior with elemental prowress.

Got another one to think about- Hound Archon//Succubus

No, I can't think of a viable backstory yet.

tonberrian
2010-04-17, 03:17 PM
Now what would happen if (hypothetically) one gestalted Fire Elemental with a Gloura? Would you keep the Fey or Elemental type?

This has the potential to become a really awesome game - pick any two monsters with ECL <= 8ish, and gestalt them together. Then, the party fights crime!:smallcool:

Volthawk
2010-04-17, 03:18 PM
Now what would happen if (hypothetically) one gestalted Fire Elemental with a Gloura? Would you keep the Fey or Elemental type?

This has the potential to become a really awesome game - pick any two monsters with ECL <= 8ish, and gestalt them together. Then, the party fights crime!:smallcool:

Maybe 50% chance either way, or maybe the player or DM chooses.

Starbuck_II
2010-04-17, 03:31 PM

Fey (Fire subtype)?
Really, Elemental subtype is better. So I'd ask player maybe.

Got another one to think about- Hound Archon//Succubus

No, I can't think of a viable backstory yet.

Your father was a Hound archon and got horny? Succubusi can have kids.
So you are 1/2 each. Only thing is alignment: would you be good, evil, or neutral naturally?

Volthawk
2010-04-17, 03:33 PM
Fey (Fire subtype)?
Really, Elemental subtype is better. So I'd ask player maybe.

Your father was a Hound archon and got horny? Succubusi can have kids.
So you are 1/2 each. Only thing is alignment: would you be good, evil, or neutral naturally?

I suppose neutral, since:

Lawful + Chaotic

Good + Evil

I think they'd cancel each other out.

Also, I'm going to put a version of the Volcano Elementals in the Homebrew Forums

Divide by Zero
2010-04-17, 04:00 PM
It says "Choose the larger Hit Die." d4+ is obviously larger than 0.

We've always played it where, for example, if you were playing a race with 2 HD and LA 3, it would look something like this:

{table]Level|Side 1|Side 2
1|Class 1|LA 1
2|Class 2|LA 2
3|Class 3|LA 3
4|Class 4|HD 1
5|Class 5|HD 2[/table]

In this case, you would get your class HD for the first 3 levels, and the higher of the two for 4 and 5. If you're using SS progression, switch around the HD and LA as appropriate.