PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Craft Feats

Demonic Spoon
2010-04-17, 02:13 PM
What do people think of crafting feats? As a warlock I have some cool abilities that make me versatile in that regard, but the XP and time cost to craft an item seems really severe. Is it worth it at all?

Starbuck_II
2010-04-17, 02:23 PM
They are worth it if you plan on crafting alot.

XP is like a river. You'll always get more. Remember if you ever do go lower lv than rest of party the rules saying you get more XP.

But time can be a issue if DM has adventures time sensitive with little down time.

Ernir
2010-04-17, 02:30 PM
If your campaign includes lots of down time and you have access to all those often-not-that-useful-spells that crafting needs (or a way to ignore the need), it's awesome.

If you have a limited spell list or no free time, it's pretty useless.

Private-Prinny
2010-04-17, 02:33 PM
Artificers. That is all.

The Shadowmind
2010-04-17, 02:37 PM
Since you are talking about a warlock, they get "Every Spell" if you can make the DC of 34 UMD for 9th level divines.
For a mid-high level game with plenty of down time, they are worth it, at low levels the feats do nothing till level 12, and that is a long time to have useless feats.

Pluto
2010-04-17, 02:47 PM
For a high-level Warlock, crafting is everything.
Especially in a party with a Wizard, Archivist or StP Erudite.

Unless you're in a high-powered magic-mart setting. Then it's a little less necessary (but extra wealth is always a good thing).

Norn-Eater
2010-04-18, 07:22 PM
lol, I probably shouldn't even be posting here, as Spoon's DM, but have you SEEN my setting?!? You can't throw a gnome without hitting a magic item. I gave our Wizard a bag of 50 randomly generated wands (1-3 charges per, but still).

But yeah, warlocks only get a few Invocations, and frankly none of them seem good Enough to trade your precious xp for. Even the ones you want to be on constantly have on, as far as I've seen, durations in the order of Hours.

On another note though, you wanted a complete list of Invocations, and I think this one (http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.5Index-Invocations-Warlock.pdf) is correct. Double check it against some of the more obscure books like Dragon Magic to be sure.

Glimbur
2010-04-18, 07:39 PM
But yeah, warlocks only get a few Invocations, and frankly none of them seem good Enough to trade your precious xp for. Even the ones you want to be on constantly have on, as far as I've seen, durations in the order of Hours.

You don't craft items that cast invocations. That would be... weird. You craft standard scrolls and wands and such. Then you UMD them, and you can pretend to be a real spell caster. It's great for your versatility provided you had downtime and planned for this eventuality.

senrath
2010-04-18, 10:57 PM
You don't craft items that cast invocations. That would be... weird. You craft standard scrolls and wands and such. Then you UMD them, and you can pretend to be a real spell caster. It's great for your versatility provided you had downtime and planned for this eventuality.

He wasn't saying that. He was saying that, in his opinion, it's not worth it for Warlocks to craft much because that takes away from the experience they need to get to the next level and gain access to more invocations. I think.