PDA

View Full Version : [MBones] Rise of the Runelords IC

MandibleBones
2010-04-17, 02:20 PM
http://img.musal.us/risetitle.png
Chapter One: Burnt Offerings

The coastal town of Sandpoint has faced few trials and dangers over the course of its forty-two year history, but unfortunately, that is all about to change. Unknown to the town’s founders, they chose to build their community over the ruins of an ancient stronghold once used as laboratory and prison, a place where horrific experiments and unholy explorations into what divides man from monster took place. These are the Catacombs of Wrath, one of several such sites used by Runelord Alaznist’s apprentices during Thassilon’s height, a place where arcanists explored and perfected the stolen arts of lifeshaping and fleshwarping. When Thassilon fell, these catacombs went dormant, but the one buried under Sandpoint was not fated to stay that way.

SANDPOINT, Varasia -- The Swallowtail festival is underway here in the pastoral seaside town of Sandpoint! This magnificent festival, taking place as scheduled on the first day of autumn, is set to consecrate Sandpoint's new cathedral to Desna, goddess of Dreams and Stars.

Longtime readers will recall the old cathedral, lost to a tragic fire during the time locals refer to as "the Late Unpleasentness." A word to the wise: don't bring it up during the festival. In any event, this new cathedral is said to be even more beautiful than the last, born of dreams inspired by the goddess herself!

- 30 -

The festival begins promptly on the first day of autumn; the square before the church is filled with merchant tents featuring food, clothes, local crafts, souvenirs... anything you can think of.

The four keynote speakers give short welcomes to the festival. First, the mayor, Deverin, speaks.

"Welcome, one and all, to the Swallowtail festival!" she beams, and her enthusiasm is cheerful. "I'm surprised and delighted to see so many of you here," she adds. "It looks like even Larz managed to drag himself away from that stuffy tannery," she says with a grin. Larz Rovanky, the local tanner, is a notorious workaholic, and the mayor's remark brings laughter from most of the crowd, if not the tanner himself. "I'll have more to say later," she says, "But I know you didn't come to listen to speeches. Enjoy!" And with that, she is off the stage.

A dour man takes the podium next, and the town guards in view of our heroes groan something about a mandatory safety briefing. Sure enough, Sheriff Hemlock mutters something about staying safe near the bonfire and not riding horses after too much alcohol. He's about to leave the stage as well when, almost as an afterthought, he addresses the crowd again.

"It'd be appropriate to ask for a momn't of silence," he says, almost unheard before the voices of the crowd die down, "For those who lost their lives in the fire five years ago." Surprisingly enough, even the guards respectfully bow their heads. A moment later, the sheriff, nodding, lost in his own thoughts, departs the stage.

"Thank you, sheriff!" yells a friendly voice as a man in brightly-colored clothing vaults to the stage. "Ladies, gentlemen, boys, girls and all you other folk I can't quite put a name to, for those of you who don't know me, I'm Cyrdak Drokkus, manager of the Sandpoint Theater (home of 'The Harpy's Curse,' starring famous Magnimarian divia Allishanda, opening tomorrow night, come on down!), and it has been my increasingly amused duty to finance this little construction project..." the man launches into a rather irreverent description of the long finance and construction process, bringing much laughter from the crowd and raising everyone's spirits. As he leaves the stage, he doffs his hat and makes a short bow to the priest of Desna making his way to the stage.

"Thank you all for coming," says Father Zantus, motioning to the town square, where several acolytes are wheeling a large covered wagon into the square. "As you may know, when the goddess Desna first fell to earth, she was gravely injured by her fall. A blind child, full of kindness and light, nursed the goddess back to health without any thought of who this injured lady might be. As a reward, Desna transformed the blind child, who was reborn as an immortal butterfly. With this theme of rebirth in mind," he says, putting a hand on the wagon's cover, "I declare the Swallowtail Festival officially underway!"

With that, the priest pulls back the cover, releasing the thousand children of Desna - a furious storm of a thousand swallowtail butterflies that swarm into the air in a spiraling riot of color to a great cheer from the crowd. Throughout the rest of the day, children futilely chase butterflies, never quite getting close enough to catch them.

Lunch is provided free at the expense of Sandpoint's restaurants, who view it as free publicity. With reminder to be back in the square for the consecration at sunset, feel free to explore the town, introduce yourselves, and meet the citizens of Sandpoint.

Valairn
2010-04-17, 03:23 PM
"Woah!" is all Valairn is able to say when the butterflies are released. He wasn't really used to a lot of spectacle, and he spends his time drifting around the town just watching everyone else enjoy themselves. Eventually he settles into a restaurant that hopefully can view the festivities well, and enjoys an ale while thinking of nothing in particular.

danielOut
2010-04-17, 03:29 PM
The half-Elf cheers with the rest of the crowd as the butterflies take flight; their colors sparkle and dance across his partially polished breastplate as they flutter overhead. Making sure his Dwarven waraxe is safely sheathed, he decides to explore the festivities.

The sun beams down on his light brown hair, cut ragged from his time with the Dwarves, and while unable to grow a full beard, he hasn't yet shaved the goatee that grew during the mining work. His deep, gemstone blue eyes glance around at all that is taking place around him before he decides to start his exploring to the east.

Azurite mingles through the crowd, enjoying the bits and pieces of conversation he overhears as he passes among the local people. His spirits lifted by the festivities, he moves lightly on his feet and begins searching for local craftsmen that may have wares on display. After all, you can't spend years of your life around a caravan and not immediately check on the locals in a new town.

Boomguin
2010-04-17, 05:12 PM
Dressed in muted browns, greens and greys, with the symbol of Gozreh emblazoned on his chest, Rawrnok stands at the rear of the crowd and shakes his head in anger. The minions of Desna are notorious for using his masters creation at their ceremonies. How dare they take credit for Gozreh's handiwork and use them as a plaything.

But it is something he has seen before, and he has grown used to - if not happy with - the proceedings.

"Come Odin," he speaks to the sleek grey wolf at his side in Orc. "Let us find food for me, and some fresh mutton for you."

m3g4weap0n
2010-04-18, 12:51 AM
The festive day finds Donwald all over the village. While he spends most of the day partying with the villagers, checking out the shops, and eating; Donwald makes sure to take time out to visit Ilsoari Gandethus museum and the new Cathedral. While viewing the museum, Donwald asks about Sandpoints history as well as Ilsoaris own adventuring days hoping to hear a good tale.
Later, at the Cathedral, Donwald pays his respects to the various local gods. In particular he gives prayer to Erastil, Sarenrae, Shelyn, and Abadar, but he does spend some time praying to Desna and Gozreh as well. Before leaving the church, Donwald finishes with a long prayer to Iomedae with hopes that this new church may stand a for thousand years.
The day now mostly spent, Donwald heads to a tavern near the town square to get some food, some drink, and perhaps to hear a tale or two before the evening consecration.

MandibleBones
2010-04-18, 11:10 AM
The merchants are surprisingly decent, especially the glass creations from old Lonjiku Kaijitsu's glassworks. The man himself is absent, but his beautiful art speaks for itself. Excellence may run in the family, of course, as his daughter Ameiko's remarkable curry-spiced salmon and early winterdrop mead easily overshadow the other lunch and dinner offerings. The young proprietress is even tickled to provide a little mutton for Odin, who takes a liking to her almost immediately - odd enough for a wolf.

A sharp retort, like the crack of distant thunder, slices through the excited crowd as the sun’s setting rays paint the western sky. A stray dog that has crawled under a nearby wagon to sleep starts awake, and the buzz of two dozen conversations quickly hushes as all heads turn toward the central podium, where a beaming Father Zantus has taken the stage. He clears his throat, takes a breath to speak, and suddenly a woman’s scream slices through the air. A few moments later, another scream rises, then another. Beyond them, a sudden surge of strange new voices rises—high-pitched, tittering shrieks that sound not quite human. The crowd parts and something low to the ground races by, giggling with disturbing glee as the stray dog gives a pained yelp and then collapses with a gurgle, its throat cut open from ear to ear. As blood pools around its head, the raucous sound of a strange song begins, chanted from shrill, scratchy voices.

Spot results for Donwald and Rawrnok
You can see the creature that killed the dog hiding against the edge of the wagon: a single goblin, licking blood from the edge of a crude weapon as it looks excitedly at the crowd for a new target. You may, in fact, act in the surprise round against this creature - hurry, as I will soon be rolling initiative.

Goblin Song for Rawrnok
Goblins chew and goblins bite.
Goblins cut and goblins fight.
Stab the dog and cut the horse,
Goblins eat and take by force!

Goblins race and goblins jump.
Goblins slash and goblins bump.
Burn the skin and mash the head,
Goblins here and you be dead!

Chase the baby, catch the pup.
Bonk the head to shut it up.
Bones be cracked, flesh be stewed,
We be goblins! You be food!

m3g4weap0n
2010-04-18, 11:52 AM
It's just the one goblin right? I will draw my weapons point and shout "Goblins! Stay calm and find cover!" Also, distance?

m3g4weap0n
2010-04-18, 11:53 AM
Err, the chant probably means more than one goblin, missed that somehow.

Boomguin
2010-04-18, 12:06 PM
Enraged at the apparent death of Gozreh's child, Rawrnok calls upon his lords power. Embracing the storm that is his master, he hurls lightning from his palm at the goblin.

Use Lightning Arc, ranged touch attack. [roll0]

If it hits [roll1]

"Odin, by my side," Rawrnok calls. "Watch my back."

Odin uses the guard trick, staying by my side an protecting me from the approach of other goblins.

Valairn
2010-04-18, 02:21 PM
"Eledorn, shall we?"

Valairn wields his long spear and looks around for anyone else seemingly ready to engage in combat, and stands next to them. Eledorn follows for now.

"Nothing like goblins to ruin everyone's fun...." he says to no one in particular.

MandibleBones
2010-04-18, 04:36 PM
With Donwald's warning, the battle is well and truly joined. Two more goblins, also brandishing the crude knives, join the first - one on the rooftops, one behind the wagon. By this time, though, the element of surprise is lost.

Initiative Order

Valairn, Donwald, Goblin B, Rawrnok, Goblin A, Azurite and Goblin C will resolve actions in that order.

Valairn
2010-04-18, 05:35 PM
Valairn points towards the goblin near the wagon, Eledorn takes off in a charge. Valairn himself orients himself within range of the goblin on the roof and shouts, "Don't slip!" Before unleashing an acid splash.

Eledorn Charge Attack(Now with more pounce and power attack!)
Goblin A:
Bite Attack: [roll0]
Bite Damage: [roll1]
Claw Attack 1: [roll2]
Claw Damage: [roll3]
Claw Attack 2: [roll4]
Claw Damage: [roll5]
(That should be right....)

Casting Acid Splash on
Goblin B:
Ranged Touch Attack:[roll6]
Damage: [roll7]

m3g4weap0n
2010-04-18, 07:23 PM
Charging into battle Donwald attacks the goblin by the cart! (unless it is dead, then attack goblin C instead)
Charge attack [roll0]
longsword damage [roll1]

danielOut
2010-04-18, 08:10 PM
"Back to the holes you crawled out of, fiends!," he cries. A certain gruffness is present in his voice, and he quickly draws a throwing axe and hurls it at the closest living goblin.

Let me "axe" you if this hits...
Atk: [roll0]+3
Dmg: [roll1]+4

Range increment is 10ft, btw. So adjust accordingly when it gets to me based on which gobbo is closest and living.

MandibleBones
2010-04-18, 08:22 PM
The goblin by the cart, bleeding from the wounds inflicted by Valairn's companion, slices at Donwald with his blade.

Attack: [roll0]
Critconfirm if needed (21 or 22 on initial roll): [roll1]

Damage: [roll2]
Crit damage: [roll3]

Boomguin
2010-04-18, 08:41 PM
"Save the human," Rawrnok commands Odin.

At his master's command, Odin charges the Goblin attacking Donwald.

Bite [roll0] [roll1] for damage.

If the attack hits and exceeds the Goblin's CMD (CMD = 10 + Base attack bonus + Strength modifier + Dexterity modifier - 2 for size) then it is tripped as a free action. The wolf's trip does not provoke an attack of opportunity and it can not be tripped in return if its attack misses.

As his companion charges, Rawrnok sets his sight on another of the Goblin's (C), and once again calls upon his master's power.

Lightning Arc (ranged touch attack) [roll2] [roll3]

MandibleBones
2010-04-18, 09:12 PM
Though Odin's bite doesn't penetrate the goblin's leather scraps, Valairn's and Rawrnok's spells do some damage. All three goblins are injured now, and this makes them more dangerous. One closes with Donwald, flanking the paladin carefully while flicking his blade back and forth experimentally before pressing the attack. The other leaps off the roof toward Azurite, yelling in a high-pitched scream as he does.

Goblin C attacks Donwald: [roll0] and confirms a critical on a 23 or 24 with [roll1]. He does [roll2] damage on a normal hit and [roll3] more on a critical.

Goblin B attacks Azurite: [roll4] and confirms a critical on a 23 or 24 with [roll5]. He does [roll6] damage on a normal hit and [roll7] more on a critical (Next round, if he still lives, he'll go back to the +2 bonus, but the high ground attack gives him a circumstance bonus).

http://img.musal.us/RunelordsMap1.png

And with that, the round cycles. Refresh your cache to see the new map. Sadly, it won't be available at work.

Valairn
2010-04-18, 09:26 PM
Eledorn pushes for the kill, while Valairn cries out, "The only good goblins are dead ones, or perhaps ones which are nicer, I strive for accuracy!" And with that he fires another Acid Blast.

Eledorn Full Attack on Goblin A:
Bite:[roll0]
Claw 1: [roll1]
Claw 2: [roll2]
Bite Dam: [roll3]
Claw Dam: [roll4]
Claw2 Dam: [roll5]

Acid Splash on Goblin B:
Ranged Touch Attack:[roll6]
Damage: [roll7]

MandibleBones
2010-04-18, 09:28 PM
With Eledorn's teeth around its throat, the first goblin gurgles its death.

danielOut
2010-04-18, 09:31 PM
Az grunts as the dagger bites in to his thigh, and shakes his head as he draws his waraxe. "Look, I know you're not that bright..." he says, maneuvering in position for a strike, "...but you really decided to come after the guy with a -HRUG -" he grunts, taking a big swing at the goblin "DWARVEN waraxe!"

Curr HP: 10/14

Atk: [roll0]
- If crit: [roll1]
Dmg: [roll2]
- If crit: [roll3]

Boomguin
2010-04-18, 09:34 PM
Odin once again attacks.

Rawrnok pulls his crossbow and fires a shot at the Goblin closest to him (C).

Bite [roll0] [roll1]

Crossbow [roll2] [roll3]

MandibleBones
2010-04-18, 09:34 PM
The goblin, ducking the heavy axe, grins with far, far too many teeth.

"Have to be hitting us first, longshanks!"

m3g4weap0n
2010-04-18, 11:22 PM
Turning at his attacker (gob c) Donwald takes a swing!

Current HP: 10/12
Longsword [roll0] 23-24 crit
crit confirmation [roll1]
damage [roll2]
crit [roll3]

MandibleBones
2010-04-24, 11:01 AM
Donwald, too, misses his attacker, though this goblin looks far less confident than the other. It's a good thought, as Rawrnok's crossbow bolt slams through the creature's skull, dropping it to the ground.

With two of its friends dead, the third's grin begins to widen even farther as it prepares for a suicidal frenzy.

Round, I believe, cycles. Sorry for the wait! Map remains unchanged except the goblins surrounding Donwald are both dead. We should be able to wrap this up rather quickly this round, I think!

Valairn
2010-04-24, 12:14 PM
Valairn signals Eledorn mentally to attack the last goblin before he gets too feisty. Valairn also casts Acid Splash.

Eledorn charges Goblin B:
Bite Attack:[roll0]
Bite Damage:[roll1]

Claw Attack:[roll2]
Claw Damage:[roll3]

Claw Attack:[roll4]
Claw Damage:[roll5]

Acid Splash:[roll6]
Acid Damage:[roll7]

MandibleBones
2010-04-24, 12:23 PM
With Eledorn's attack, the final goblin's grin becomes a death rictus - and not a moment too soon. Chaos has engulfed Sandpoint. All across the town, goblins dance and cavort, slashing and burning, while warchanters sing their eerie - if strangely catching - tune.

Down the street, however, is a more pressing matter. A burst of flame catches your attention - several goblins have found the cart with fuel for the bonfire and appear to have set it ablaze. You have a few moments to gather your wits, but it is likely they'll see you shortly.

Marching order?

Valairn
2010-04-24, 12:38 PM
"Let us make haste, my Eledorn can go first if you wish, I am slightly trained in the use of a long spear," he hefts the spear in his hands, "so I can follow behind you if you want? Let us hurry, these goblins won't be killing themselves."

m3g4weap0n
2010-04-24, 06:06 PM
"Thanks for the help. Lets put these goblins back in their place!" Donwald charges out ahead toward the fire.

danielOut
2010-04-24, 08:33 PM
"Look, I've got some revenge to take out on some of this little pigs," he says, picking up his throwing axe before heading down the street. Trying to catch up, the half-elf plans to take the first swing at the goblins.

Boomguin
2010-04-24, 11:41 PM
"Damn humans, always rushing off to die," Rawrnok mumbles. "Come Odin, we may as well follow and see what they find."

Valairn
2010-04-25, 12:09 AM
"Who is the bigger fool, the one who runs ahead, or the one who follows him, knowing a pit is there?" Valairn gives Rawrnok a chiding look. "And anyways, none of us are going to die, and I am not running anywhere, unless there is an exceptionally nice skirt to ogle."

Boomguin
2010-04-25, 09:30 AM
I am not going to die, human. Gozreh protects me. Whether the Stormlord choses to protect you, is his choice. Let us go.

Valairn
2010-04-25, 10:06 AM
"I just said that, do you enjoy repeating things you heard five seconds ago, if so, I will try to be more quiet, that could get reasonably obnoxious."

MandibleBones
2010-05-03, 05:55 PM
The bickering has definitely caught the goblins attention! They turn their beady eyes to the approaching adventurers, and hatred is reflected with the fires from their torches.

http://img.musal.us/RunelordsMap2.png

Initiative:
Goblin A [roll0]
Goblin B [roll1]
Goblin C [roll2]
Goblin E [roll3]
Goblin Warchanter [roll4]
Valairn [roll5]
Azurite [roll6]
Rawrnok [roll7]
Donwald [roll8]

MandibleBones
2010-05-03, 05:59 PM
One of the goblins, brandishing dogslicer and torch, charges Azurite! However, the cackling creature misses with the torch, swinging it rather too close to the human's face for his comfort.

Goblin B is done.

Valairn
2010-05-03, 08:09 PM
"AND I WAS JUST GETTING STARTED!" Valairn mutters some words and presses his hand along Eledorn before letting him loose. Eledorn shoots off in front of Valairn charging toward Goblin on the right coming up along side and letting loose with a flurry of furry death!

Valairn casts Shield on Eledorn (+4 AC for 1 minute immunity to magic missile)
Eledorn noms on the soul of Gobbo E with Power Attack:

Bite Attack:[roll0]
Bite Damage:[roll1]

Claw 1 Attack: [roll2]
Claw 1 Damage: [roll3]

Claw 2 Attack: [roll4]
Claw 2 Damage: [roll5]

MandibleBones
2010-05-03, 08:15 PM
Before he can even act, Eledorn's target disappears into a fine red mist.

danielOut
2010-05-04, 09:14 PM
Having been charged, and still injured from the previous fight, the half elf takes a massive swing at the goblin.

Atk - [roll0]
Dmg - [roll1]
- If crit:
Confirm - [roll2]
Dmg - [roll3]

m3g4weap0n
2010-05-05, 08:12 PM
Adjusting forward to take a swing, Donwald attacks goblin B! (alternatively, if B is dead by my round attack any other goblin in range/charge the nearest living one. If I charge add +2 to hit on roll)

[roll0]
crit [roll1]

damage [roll2]
crit [roll3]

Boomguin
2010-05-10, 09:37 AM
Rawrnok sets his eyes on the chanting Goblin and decides to put the fear Gozreh into the little sniveling retch.

He beguns muttering in the guttural tongue of his father and beseeches his deity for his power.

Rawrnok casts Cause Fear, save DC 16.

While his master mutters, Odin guards him. Ready to snap with his jaws at anyone who comes near.

Readied attack. Guard trick