PDA

View Full Version : Wastelander(Tough Guy Class-PEACH)[3.5e]

PersonMan
2010-04-18, 12:17 AM
This class was originally made for a different setting, but I've modified it. The Desert Ring is basically a place where convicted criminals are sent, with a few days of rations and some gear, and fight to the death. The survivors prey on newcomers and eachother for more food.

This is more for tough NPCs than PCs, and when making it I focused more on making it fit the concept than other things.

The Wastelander

Wastelanders are those who have survived the perils of the Desert Ring long enough to gain skills and abilities needed to live for longer amounts of time.

Class Skills
The Wastelander's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are....
Survival(Wis), Spot(Wis), Listen(Wis), Handle Animal(Cha), Move Silently(Dex), Heal(Wis), Tumble(Dex)
Skills Points at Each Level: 2 + int

Hit Dice: d12

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+2|
+2|
+0|Survival, Toughness, Slay 1/day

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+3|
+0|Track

3rd|
+2|
+3|
+3|
+1|

4th|
+3|
+4|
+4|
+1|

5th|
+3|
+4|
+4|
+1|Slay 2/day

6th|
+4|
+5|
+5|
+2|Enhanced Senses

7th|
+5|
+5|
+5|
+2|

8th|
+6/+1|
+6|
+6|
+2|Greater Survival

9th|
+6/+1|
+6|
+6|
+3|

10th|
+7/+2|
+7|
+7|
+3|Slay 3/day

11th|
+8/+3|
+7|
+7|
+3|

12th|
+9/+4|
+8|
+8|
+4|Impossible Survival

13th|
+9/+4|
+8|
+8|
+4|

14th|
+10/+5|
+9|
+9|
+4|Supreme Senses

15th|
+11/+6/+1|
+9|
+9|
+5|Slay 4/day

16th|
+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+10|
+5|

17th|
+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+10|
+5|

18th|
+13/+8/+3|
+11|
+11|
+6|

19th|
+14/+9/+4|
+11|
+11|
+6|

20th|
+15/+10/+5|
+12|
+12|
+6|Slay 5/day[/table]

Weapon Proficiencies: The Wastelander gains proficiency with all simple and martial weapons.

Survival(Ex): At first level a Wastelander gains the ability to force their body back into life even when they are on the brink of death. If a Wastelander is below 0 hit points, if they are able to stabilize they also heal a number of hit points equal to ½ of their Wastelander level.

Toughness(Ex): At first level a Wastelander gains incredible stamina and constitution. They gain 1 extra hit point per level and, if rolling for hit points, cannot receive less than the average roll for their hit die. They also gain a bonus to resisting nonlethal damage equal to twice their Wastelander level.

Slay(Ex): At first level a Wastelander gains the ability to down enemies in one strike. Once per day, they can deal far more damage than normal. They gain a bonus to hit and damage equal to 1.5xtheir Wastelander level. This ability can be used an extra time per day every five levels.

Track(Ex): A Wastelander gains the Track feat as a bonus feat at second level.

Enhanced Senses(Ex): At sixth level a Wastelander gains incredible senses. A Wastelander gains a bonus to either Listen or Spot equal to ½ of their Wastelander level.

Greater Survival(Ex): As a Wastelander has more brushes with death, he becomes more able to resist its clutches. At eight level a Wastelander now makes a Fortitude save (DC 15+HD) to stabilize and heal 1d4+Con mod hit points. However, if he uses this ability a Wastelander cannot also use Survival.

Impossible Survival(Ex): At twelfth level a Wastelander eventually gains an impossible ability to come back from the near-dead. Instead of stabilizing normally, a Wastelander can make a DC (20+HD) Fortitude save to instead gain their Wastelander level in hit points, followed by gaining twice their Constitution modifier in temporary hit points. Also, if a Wastelander fails their save against a save-or-die effect, they are instead reduced to -9 hit points and stable.

Supreme Senses(Ex): A Wastelander's senses become even sharper, and their bonus to their chosen skill increases by 50%(becoming 3/4 Wastelander level), and they gain a bonus to Spot or Listen(the one not chosen for Enhanced Senses) equal to ¼ of their Wastelander level.

Okay. So. Ten dead levels, and I'm not really sure what to put in them. Help?

Jack of Spades
2010-04-18, 12:37 AM
Housekeeping: Generally, you should put abilities in level order and state the level they are gained at somewhere in the beginning of the description, saying "Starting at Xth level," or some such.

Aaaanyhow, I haven't actually run the numbers but it seems to me that Greater Survival may become moot toward the higher levels when the Wastelander can gain 70-10 hp *without* making a Fort save.

You'll also want to add more stuff to this class methinks, it doesn't really seem to offer very much at all.

EDIT: That last gripe is a bit less valid, now that I've read the bit about this being an NPC class :smallredface:

PersonMan
2010-04-18, 12:41 AM
Housekeeping: Generally, you should put abilities in level order and state the level they are gained at somewhere in the beginning of the description, saying "Starting at Xth level," or some such.

Aaaanyhow, I haven't actually run the numbers but it seems to me that Greater Survival may become moot toward the higher levels when the Wastelander can gain 70-10 hp *without* making a Fort save.

You'll also want to add more stuff to this class methinks, it doesn't really seem to offer very much at all.

EDIT: That last gripe is a bit less valid, now that I've read the bit about this being an NPC class :smallredface:

Yeah. Old habits are hard to break. Will fix.

Hmmm. How so?

Maybe it should be an immediate reaction, rather than on the Wastelander's turn?

Exactly. I'm hoping for some ideas on how to fill the 10 dead levels without having to turn this into a 10-level class.

Jack of Spades
2010-04-18, 01:07 AM
I meant that the amounts of Hp attainable might eclipse. I can't run the numbers right now, But I don't think a 20th level character is going to have a Con modifier of +8, thus Greater Survival would be unfeasible.

PersonMan
2010-04-18, 01:11 AM
I meant that the amounts of Hp attainable might eclipse. I can't run the numbers right now, But I don't think a 20th level character is going to have a Con modifier of +8, thus Greater Survival would be unfeasible.

You're right. If I understand what you're saying, the DC gets too high at higher levels.

Let's see.
Fortitude save:
+12 Base
+10 Constitution(16 base, +4 levels, +4 Tome, +6 Amulet)
+5 Cloak of Resistance
+27 total, against DC 35.

Even with less focus on Constitution, it looks alright. Is that what you meant, or am I missing something?

EDIT: Wait, do you mean that it's too little healing? Maybe it should scale by level. Maybe Xd4+Con mod, X being the Wastelander level?