PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew advice needed. How to put them online

Ossian
2010-04-18, 04:15 AM
Hi friends!

I realize that my list of homebrew, WIPs and finished, is getting longer and longer, and would like to organize them in something which is not a coyote code series of character sheets or google documents (.doc, .xls etc).

I see also that a good many of you have in their signatures links to homebrews.

Can you suggest any type of web-space which is easy to manage for an HTML starved gamer, where I can put folders and images and stats and plotlines and so on and so forth? Something really dead basic would be nice. The internet has loads of templates but they all seem to require me signing in to this or that provider.

All advice is more than welcome!

Ossian

Real Sorceror
2010-04-18, 05:16 AM
I personally use wikidot.com (http://www.wikidot.com/). The free subscription gives you 5 sites. Check my sig as an example.
It was pretty easy to pickup after fooling with for an hour or two.

Anasazi
2010-04-18, 08:49 AM
Yahoo groups has a nice little setup, in the past my team and I have used it for wiki's. it's setup much like a forum site but does the trick.
The other route you could go is getting something like microsoft frontpage and just setting up an offline html page for yourself, it would have the same effect, assuming every computer you use has access to the files, and it wouldnt cost you anything but a little time.

Ashtagon
2010-04-18, 09:34 AM
I've set up a private wiki on my home PC. A combination of wampserver (for the localhost server) and either mediawiki or dokuwiki (each has its own advantages) would do the trick.

The double advantage is that, if you later want to move it all online, doing so is a simple process, once you have a web host.

btw, for a modest fee, I will host your websites, if you want them online :smallwink:

Yora
2010-04-18, 09:53 AM
XAMP and mediwiki always worked very well for me.

Took some time to get it all set up, but it's actually quite easy if you know a little bit about servers and databases.