PDA

View Full Version : What program do you use to make 4e maps?

BloodyAngel
2010-04-18, 07:58 AM
The topic pretty much explains itself. I'm thinking of starting a 4e pbp game, but I'd need to make battle maps for it to work properly and I don't currently have a program I can use. Can anyone suggest one? A free one, preferably. :smallwink:

Jokes
2010-04-18, 08:27 AM
For PbP, I've been using editgrid.com for a while now. Simple online spreadsheets that you can mock up to look like maps (http://www.editgrid.com/user/jokes/Example). Not 100% functional, but it saves a lot of time having to upload maps every round, since you can just delete text and it changes in realtime.

Anasazi
2010-04-18, 08:43 AM
I've tried dunjinni, dungeon designer 3, wizard's dungeon tile mapper, dungeon crafter 3, and a few others that I dont even recall anymore, all of which where disapointments to me... well, I liked crafter the best but its 15x15 size limit is quite annoying.
I too would be interested in hearing about ones that work for people, as at this point I just said to hell with it and am using excel. /lol/cry

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-04-18, 09:01 AM
I make my maps with Inkscape (http://www.inkscape.org/), a free open source vector art program. If you aren’t familiar with vector drawing, though, the learning curve is going to be steep.

I keep my drawings simple, though. The end result for one of my maps is something like this: http://alpha.dragonflightstudios.com/images/moathouseSurface.png But if you get really good with the program and want to do so, you can make much more detailed maps.

BloodyAngel
2010-04-18, 09:13 AM
Awesome! I'm certain I can get one of them to work. Now I just need to fuss with this until I figure out how to post maps. :smallconfused:

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-04-18, 11:09 AM
Now I just need to fuss with this until I figure out how to post maps. :smallconfused:
Well, I think the most common thing to do is to create the map in whatever program, export it to JPEG, PNG, or GIF, upload the file to Photobucket or some similar image host, and then link to it from there.

Me, I got tired of having to update the PCs positions for them, so I worked on a little web script to allow them to update it. I’m working on making a public website to provide this tool for others. But my free time to do so is limited, so it’s gonna be a while before that’s an option for you.

Cogidubnus
2010-04-18, 03:43 PM
I've recently used the WotC Online Dungeon Tiles Mapper (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/arch/tools - it's on that page). It's not great and it won't always represent exactly what you want to show, but it'll get an idea across - you can print one copy for you to make notes on and one for your PCs to look at, covering new areas with paper to hide the next room. If you upload a map using this code: (Goblin Base,3.2.A.0.320.480.5....,3.2.A.0.224.64.6....,3. 0.A.0.120.32.7....,3.1.B.0.144.240.8....,3.1.B.0.8 8.192.9....,3.1.B.0.144.192.10....,3.1.A.0.144.192 .11....,3.1.A.0.144.192.12....,3.5.B.0.144.32.13.. ..,3.17.A.0.88.32.14....,3.0.A.270.88.64.15....,3. 6.A.0.16.320.16....,3.18.A.0.144.32.17....,2.14.A. 270.352.0.20....,0.19.A.90.272.160.21....,2.14.A.2 70.352.0.20....,0.19.A.90.272.160.21....,3.3.A.270 .352.288.22....,3.9.A.0.416.416.23....,1.24.A.270. 256.432.24....,1.25.A.180.432.128.25....,3.18.B.18 0.448.480.26....)
You'll see what I've done, though the coding does occasionally go screwy and not upload what you did last time, so it'll probably be a bit odd. Still, could be an interesting example.

Reynard
2010-04-18, 03:54 PM
I use Illustrator (Or InkScape for you non-students/rich people/pirates). I also go quite, quite, mad, and add lots of details.

Example:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4026/4531970629_9e7c041a8e_o.png

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-04-19, 07:32 AM
If you upload a map using this code: (Goblin
That code’s stretching out this page way too much. I’m getting Horizontal Scrollbar of Doom™ here. Could you please put that in a spoiler?

Cogidubnus
2010-04-19, 10:56 AM
Sorry. Edited.

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-04-19, 12:18 PM
No prob.

Thanks. :smallcool:

Snowstorm
2010-04-19, 01:03 PM
Many maps that I make are done by using the WoTC tilesets, via' the downloadable version of what Cogidubnus is using.

Using Paint.Net (free!) I set the map as the background, and add a transparent layer or two on top of that for the monsters / PC's / zones.. etc.

valadil
2010-04-19, 01:24 PM
I don't usually do maps on the computer. I prefer paper notes. When I do big complex battles, I use construx. I don't even usually map dungeons in advance, instead preferring to make a list of challenges and obstacles ahead of time and mapping them out on the fly.

But sometimes I change it up just for variety's sake. Being the ubernerd that I am I wrote my own program to do mapping. It's unique in that it focuses on ASCII art maps instead of pretty graphical ones. The idea is to make maps that Angband or Nethack fans would find useful. Oh and it's supposed to do this in as few keystrokes as possible.

Here's an orc jail I threw together in a minute.
http://files.sagotsky.com/orcjail.png
If you haven't played a roguelike game, this is probably incomprehensible to you. The octothorpes (sharp symbols) are wells. Periods are floor. Lowercase o's are orcs. The uppercase T's are trolls. w is the warden. A plus sign is a closed door. An s is a secret door. The dollar sign is money. Oh and the h's are human prisoners. Pretty straightforward, at least if you're used to reading that kind of map.

I will eventually make this program available if people show interest. At the moment its in alpha and it's linux only. Oh and it doesn't save maps. It's not real useful at the moment and has pretty limited appeal to begin with.

Dust
2010-04-19, 01:25 PM
Here's what I do.

1) For the early part of my career, I cheated and found premade maps at RPGMapShare.com (http://rpgmapshare.com/gallery). I've since moved on to a combination of tilesets from that previous site as well as some freehand photoshopping.
2) Use TokenTool (http://www.rptools.net/index.php?page=tokentool) to turn pictures into tokens for enemies and allies.
3) Use Photoshop to bring it all together. This has the added benefit of making your layers really, really easy to move.
4) Final Result (http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/7624/ephiarranhighlands1.gif)

DragonBaneDM
2010-04-19, 02:58 PM
Graph paper. :smallbiggrin:

The Pressman
2010-04-19, 07:15 PM
I use Illustrator (Or InkScape for you non-students/rich people/pirates). I also go quite, quite, mad, and add lots of details.

Example:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4026/4531970629_9e7c041a8e_o.png

How did you get the nicely offset lines?

Jastermereel
2010-04-20, 10:09 AM
Here's what I do.

1) For the early part of my career, I cheated and found premade maps at RPGMapShare.com (http://rpgmapshare.com/gallery). I've since moved on to a combination of tilesets from that previous site as well as some freehand photoshopping.
2) Use TokenTool (http://www.rptools.net/index.php?page=tokentool) to turn pictures into tokens for enemies and allies.
3) Use Photoshop to bring it all together. This has the added benefit of making your layers really, really easy to move.
4) Final Result (http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/7624/ephiarranhighlands1.gif)

That sounds almost exactly like my method, except I haven't been able to figure out how to use Token Tool so I tend to just cut circular tokens out of other found images.

While Photoshop isn't free, which was a key thing the OP was looking for, if you can find a free tool that uses layers, there are a lot of nice tricks you can use for placing traps and showing line of sight. I've taken to painting the topmost layer grey except for the room where my players start. As they move through the castle/dungeons/sewers (though less-so when outdoors), I erase what makes sense, having the rooms appear out of the fog. Dramatically helps to reduce navigational meta-gaming.

Really though, I'd emphasize Dust's Point #1a. Don't recreate what already exists if you can help it. Some pre-made ones out there look extremely good (better than most folks could make with tile based programs alone) and while you might not find one from the same artist for every map you need, resulting in a sort of patchwork world of different styles, it's generally worth it.

IonDragon
2010-04-20, 10:12 AM
Is there, strictly speaking, any difference between 4e and 3.xe maps?

valadil
2010-04-20, 10:25 AM
Is there, strictly speaking, any difference between 4e and 3.xe maps?

No, but the map matters more in 4e. In 3.5 I could improvise a map just as well as plan one out. In 4e, my players are disappointed if their push/pull/slide powers don't matter.

Cogidubnus
2010-04-20, 11:27 AM
I've taken to painting the topmost layer grey except for the room where my players start. As they move through the castle/dungeons/sewers (though less-so when outdoors), I erase what makes sense, having the rooms appear out of the fog. Dramatically helps to reduce navigational meta-gaming.

Do you have a suggestion as to how I could do this if I'm also storing other stuff (monsters, storylines etc.) on my laptop and don't want the players to see it everytime I bring the map up. As it is I'm printing them out and covering rooms up with paper, but it's not as efficient.

Jastermereel
2010-04-20, 11:53 AM
Do you have a suggestion as to how I could do this if I'm also storing other stuff (monsters, storylines etc.) on my laptop and don't want the players to see it everytime I bring the map up. As it is I'm printing them out and covering rooms up with paper, but it's not as efficient.

I sometimes forget that my setup is a little odd. As it is, my group generally plays at one of two houses; one has a decent sized TV that we hook a laptop up to and the other uses a computer projector instead of a TV giving us a 5-6 foot screen. I haven't printed out much in the way of maps this campaign save for the world-map for reference and as a prop.

If you're printing it out, what you're doing is probably the best approach. If you're open to the video-screen style approach, you could try getting your laptop to pretend you've got two screens so all of your reference material and resources are on your laptop's screen and you can drag the maps over to the "second screen". It takes some experimenting and a lot of getting used to, but it can open up some interesting possibilities with the mapping.

The only real downside I've found is that you're in charge of moving the players too unless you're able to pass the mouse to one of them. Consequently you might have a little trouble with traps and the like since you're the one moving them into the troubled space or along a troubled path.

Light-Hero
2010-04-20, 11:56 AM
I need a map that is 24x24 squares and is interactive. Meaning that I woulb be able to change colours, letter and/or numbers that have been inserted in the squares + I might need some detachments to the map. Any hints for where to look?

Cogidubnus
2010-04-20, 12:33 PM
Is there a good way to get a squared grid I can place over a map as a layer (e.g. in photoshop)?

AgentPaper
2010-04-20, 12:37 PM
Excel seems to work fine, though you could also take screenshots of Gametable or Maptool as well.

Cogidubnus
2010-04-20, 12:47 PM
Excel's not square though, and making it so's a pain. Also, good sites for tilesets etc. would be appreciated.

Reynard
2010-04-20, 01:00 PM
How did you get the nicely offset lines?

In Illustrator, the rectangular grid tool. I don't know what it's called in Inkscape.

AgentPaper
2010-04-20, 01:03 PM
Excel's not square though, and making it so's a pain. Also, good sites for tilesets etc. would be appreciated.

Is not. Click on the little box on the upper left, where the numbers and letters come together, to select everything. Then, resize a column by clicking and dragging on the border between two of the letter boxes, and then do the same with a row, to the same width. Since you have the whole field selected, it'll resize them all at once. You can then save it as "Blank Square Grid" or something to use as a template for later maps if doing even that is too much every time.

Cogidubnus
2010-04-20, 01:07 PM
Ah yes. Somewhat thrown by the different numbers it gives you. Need to look at pixels instead.

Light-Hero
2010-04-20, 04:25 PM
Any ideas to where you should post your excel image/map.
I have use imgur.com with paint put they dont support excel files.

Jastermereel
2010-04-20, 04:30 PM
Is there a good way to get a squared grid I can place over a map as a layer (e.g. in photoshop)?

Photoshop actually has a grid you can resize and have items snap to, but I don't think you can easily copy it into the image as a layer. In my version at least, you can toggle it on and off with Ctrl+Alt+' and it's modifiable under Edit-Preferences- Guides, Grids,and Slices.

If you need to show it independent of photoshop (that is, you were printing it). The only way I know, and it isn't a fun one, is to pick a fine brush, turn on "snap to grid" and draw the thing out along the lines.

valadil
2010-04-20, 07:35 PM
If you need to show it independent of photoshop (that is, you were printing it). The only way I know, and it isn't a fun one, is to pick a fine brush, turn on "snap to grid" and draw the thing out along the lines.

Why not open photoshop, enable grid, take a screenshot, save screenshot to jpg, open jpg in photoshop?

Cogidubnus
2010-04-21, 11:06 AM
Photoshop actually has a grid you can resize and have items snap to, but I don't think you can easily copy it into the image as a layer. In my version at least, you can toggle it on and off with Ctrl+Alt+' and it's modifiable under Edit-Preferences- Guides, Grids,and Slices.

Then, if anyone else follows this advice, save that single layer and use it as the template for every map. Would save a lot of time.

Gralamin
2010-04-21, 12:10 PM

Not just a layer per say, but there is an easy way to do get a grid.
Step 1: Make a new document of whatever size you want each grid square to be.
Step 2: Unlock background layer, give it a stroke (size 1, center, choose whatever color you like)
Step 3: Edit -> Define Pattern. Call it something like "Grid AxA" Where A is the size.
Step 4: Go to your map. Open the Channels display, make a new channel (Call it something like GridChannel).
Step 5: Press Shift + F5 (Or manually use the fill command) to fill it with the grid.
Step 6: Create a new layer and call it grid. Go to select, load selection and choose the channel you created (GridChannel).
Step 7: Use Select -> Inverse. Then Fill it with whatever color of grid you want.

A bit long, but it works.

russdm
2010-05-15, 04:15 PM
What about photoshop? I have the map made in dungeon tile mappers already and its a jpg. How do i make a layer to put the player tokens/monster tokens/trap tokens on it so i can move that those around without messing up the beautiful background map i made to use?

Cogidubnus
2010-05-15, 04:47 PM
Just set it as the background layer in photoshop and then put tokens etc in a different layer over that, as suggested by Jastermeel a way back :smallsmile:

russdm
2010-05-17, 01:56 PM
Got it figured out.

Hzurr
2010-05-17, 05:19 PM
I use a method similar to what others have described (but I use Paint.net rather than photoshop). I have separate layers for nearly every element in the picture, so it makes it easy to only select the characters, or certain background elements, or whatever. Here's an example of it used in a Play-by-post thread:

"4E Adventures in Fallcrest" PbP Combat Post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8485186&postcount=405)