PDA

View Full Version : What do you want to do (life goals)?

sparkyinbozo
2010-04-18, 09:14 AM
So, I am at a point in my life where I'm just getting my master's and am going to be moving to a totally different location in about a month. At this time, I don't have a specific job or family tying me to a specific location, and am taking a year off before I start going for Ph.d. programs.

Anyway, I've been trying to figure out where to go & what to do, and am having a hard time figuring out specifically what to do with my life, as there are so many options. I'm curious what you guys have for life goals or things you want out of it. Sorry if the topic's been hit up before.

Sneak
2010-04-18, 09:37 AM
LIST OF LIFE GOALS

1. Come up with a life goal.

Yeah, I've got nothin'.

I'm still hoping college will sort me out.

Jokasti
2010-04-18, 09:46 AM
I'm going to do what Achilles did.

Myshlaevsky
2010-04-18, 09:49 AM

I think everyone is, sooner or later.

Personally, I plan to travel Patagonia for a while sometime in the next few years, just as soon as I have the money.

BSW
2010-04-18, 09:58 AM

Get shot in the foot by Paris?

An interesting goal. I suggest choosing a single person to be Paris' representative in this matter... perhaps the mayor or some other government official. Otherwise, it'd take way too long to get everyone who lives there to carry out the deed.

Anyway, I've been trying to figure out where to go & what to do, and am having a hard time figuring out specifically what to do with my life, as there are so many options. I'm curious what you guys have for life goals or things you want out of it. Sorry if the topic's been hit up before.

I'm going do criminal prosecution at the state level for at least five years. I'd like to get some interesting and serious felony experience under my belt. Once I've got that experience, I'll start applying to be a federal prosecutor... preferably working on organized crime, because I think it'd be really interesting.

Catch
2010-04-18, 10:03 AM
I want to break free from the gravity well of Generation "Why Do Anything?" and do something meaningful. I'm graduating next year with a degree in writing and a concentration in teaching, so that probably means wading into the trenches of the US public school system. Fighting apathy tooth and nail, and bringing some nobility back to the teaching profession.

If that doesn't work, I can fall back on my mad barista skills.

Anuan
2010-04-18, 10:04 AM
1) Get published
2) Get my Cert IV in Sports Coaching - Wing Chun
3) Start my martial arts and self-improvement school.

golentan
2010-04-18, 10:30 AM
Goal 1: Come up with a life goal that makes me happy.
Goal 2: Help people.
Goal 3: Enjoy my life, secure in the knowledge that I have tried to be a positive influence on the world.

Atelm
2010-04-18, 10:31 AM
What I was about to say was put much more eloquently than I would've put it by Catch. Removing "graduating with degree" and "US", of cource, as I'm nowhere near graduating at present (applying to Uni) for the former.

I want to break free from the gravity well of Generation "Why Do Anything?" and do something meaningful. I'm graduating next year with a degree in writing and a concentration in teaching, so that probably means wading into the trenches of the US public school system. Fighting apathy tooth and nail, and bringing some nobility back to the teaching profession.

I tip my hat to you, sir. :smallsmile:

Mauve Shirt
2010-04-18, 10:43 AM
1. Graduate. And not have to go back to school.
2. Get a job I don't hate. One that allows me to continue having hobbies.
3. Have a family.

Mordokai
2010-04-18, 10:54 AM
http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/6607/7psr.jpg

Gotta keep it simple.

Kumo
2010-04-18, 11:02 AM
1. Become a video game designer
2. Become an author (preferably novelist)
3. Go to confession
4. Be celibate

Octopus Jack
2010-04-18, 11:03 AM
1. Get into a good university and graduate
2. Get a decent archaeology joby thing
3. Never grow up

Castaras
2010-04-18, 11:09 AM
1. Get into University of somekind and get myself a maths degree.
2. Sometime in the next 6 years work out what job I want.
3. Get that job I want.
4. ???
5. Profit.

Ichneumon
2010-04-18, 11:09 AM
Just 1 thing:

Change the world.

Zevox
2010-04-18, 11:16 AM
1) Get a job that I don't hate that permits me to live fairly comfortably and continue to have hobbies.
2) Enjoy.
- Optional) Have a small family, if I'm fortunate enough to meet a girl I like enough to want to spend my life with.

Yeah, I'm not ambitious at all.

Zevox

ForzaFiori
2010-04-18, 11:18 AM
I'm headed to college next year for a degree in History. When I get out, I'd like to teach, at least for a little bit. Maybe I'll go back and get a Masters too. I'd also really like to do at least a little archeology, but I have no idea how you get into the field. Its not like its in the newspaper or anything. But either way, I get a job I'm good at and enjoy, and hopefully marry a really rich woman, since I know teaching isn't gonna get me rolling in the dough.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-04-18, 11:18 AM
#1. Win the heart of the woman I love.
#2. Publish a novel
#3. Visit Alaska to see the aurora borealis
#4. Hike New Zealand
#5. Have children

Is that too much to ask?

Octopus Jack
2010-04-18, 11:19 AM
Just 1 thing:

Change the world.

For good or bad?

Catch
2010-04-18, 11:21 AM
For good or bad?

Eye of the beholder.

Eldan
2010-04-18, 11:32 AM
LIST OF LIFE GOALS

1. Come up with a life goal.

Yeah, I've got nothin'.

I'm still hoping college will sort me out.

Won't help... at least for me. I'm in my fourth year of university now, did my Bachelor and still have no idea what to do with my life. Just... nothing. Blank. Nada. Void.

Vaynor
2010-04-18, 11:35 AM
#2. Publish a novel
#4. Hike New Zealand
#5. Have children

Is that too much to ask?

These are quite awesome life goals, I've always wanted to see the aurora borealis, as well as New Zealand.

Flickerdart
2010-04-18, 11:56 AM
I wanna be the very best, like no one ever was. :smallbiggrin:

Mystic Muse
2010-04-18, 12:06 PM
I wanna be the very best.:smallwink:

Froogleyboy
2010-04-18, 12:16 PM
-Get published (now, If only I could get home to my main computer to work on my book)

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2010-04-18, 12:19 PM
I'm... ambitious. Very ambitious, you might say. A social climber. I've already escaped my lowliest origins, and I hope only to continue to ascend.

Player_Zero
2010-04-18, 12:42 PM
Have some fun, have no regrets.

Moff Chumley
2010-04-18, 12:56 PM

If that doesn't work, I can fall back on my mad barista skills.

Good luck. :smallsmile:

I wanna be the very best, like no one ever was. :smallbiggrin:

Oh, you... :smallwink:

ANYHOW:

1) Survive High School
2) Get a degree in Sound Recording Technology
3) Kibitz around doing assorted SRT things. I'm not picky.
4) At some point, own a studio. If I'm lucky
5) Build the largest modular synth rig I possibly can.
6) Have lots of good coffee.
7) Find true love, happiness, et cetera, et cetera.

Strawberries
2010-04-18, 01:00 PM
I've already accomplished a lot of the life goals I set for me

-I graduated with honors in a subject I like
-I live with the person I love
-I've got a job I like
-I've got few friends, but I can count on those I have.

My next life goals? Let's see

-Keep having a job I like (it's more difficult than it seems, in this economy)
-Marry, eventually (I already live with my boyfriend, but I'd like to marry in the future)
-Visit as many countries as I can. I love to travel.
-Learn another language.

Exeson
2010-04-18, 01:33 PM
1. Keep being awesome
2. Stop being egotistical
3. Keep being awesome

:smalltongue:

Moff Chumley
2010-04-18, 01:40 PM
Things

And, don't forget: you made Chumley's avatar, the highest honor in the land. Really, what more could you ask for? :smalltongue:

Strawberries
2010-04-18, 02:15 PM
And, don't forget: you made Chumley's avatar, the highest honor in the land. Really, what more could you ask for? :smalltongue:

Truly, my ultimate life goal is fulfilled! :smalltongue:.

arguskos
2010-04-18, 02:54 PM
#2. Publish a novel
#4. Hike New Zealand
#5. Have children

Is that too much to ask?
I actually did that one a few times. Was AWESOME.

Anyways, my own life goals...
1. Find someone to spend my time with, a mate, as it were.
2. Beat the spreading depression in my mind, preferably unaided medically.
3. Travel. A lot. Just get in my car and go somewhere else.
4. Eat in every single country of the world, at least once. (that's not gonna happen, but it's nice to keep in mind)
5. Find a profession I can live off of while still enjoying my life and my work.

Sorry, I want a lot. :smallfrown:

Jokasti
2010-04-18, 02:55 PM
I actually did that one a few times. Was AWESOME.

Anyways, my own life goals...
1. Find someone to spend my time with, a mate, as it were.
2. Beat the spreading depression in my mind, preferably unaided medically.
3. Travel. A lot. Just get in my car and go somewhere else.
4. Eat in every single country of the world, at least once. (that's not gonna happen, but it's nice to keep in mind)
5. Find a profession I can live off of while still enjoying my life and my work.

#4 is easy - unite the world as one country and hit up McDonald's.

arguskos
2010-04-18, 02:57 PM
#4 is easy - unite the world as one country and hit up McDonald's.
My mother has worked for MickyDee's for 13 years. I'm REALLY TIRED of that place. :smalltongue:

Jokasti
2010-04-18, 03:07 PM
Then the BK Lounge. Or Wendy's. Arby's. Quizno's. A local pizza shop.

Anonomuss
2010-04-18, 03:07 PM
1-Finish my bachelor's degree and get master's.
2-Become a member of the bar, and hopefully become a member of the Attorney General's Office.
3-Write something that could be published either creatively or academically, preferably both.
4-Find people to spend my life with, maybe a girlfriend, or regular gaming group, preferably both.

MRizzle08
2010-04-18, 03:26 PM
1. Finish my undergraduate studies.
2.Go to some form of postgraduate school during which I will hopefully come up with a longer term goal.
3. If possible I would like to start a family at some point.
That's all I got for now.

Serpentine
2010-04-18, 03:38 PM
#2. Publish a novel
#4. Hike New Zealand
#5. Have children

Is that too much to ask?Not individually, no. It's that you insist on doing them all at once... :smalleek:

Big one: find a job that gives good money, is intellectually stimulating, involves a wide variety of my interests, gets me travelling and doing things, makes me feel like I'm contributing something to the world, and that I look forward to going to every day. So far, it looks like some sort of museum job is my best bet, but I'm happy to hear any other ideas.

Little ones: travel the world (I think I'm starting to realise I'm somewhat of a coward when it comes to this bit :smallfrown:), finish my honours, get a PhD eventually, have a dog... I'm just starting to list "things I'd like to do someday" rather than life goals, now. So that'll do.

Johel
2010-04-18, 03:46 PM
Finish my studies done
Make sure to have loyal friends. Quality above quantity. done
Find a interesting and diversified job where I have as much autonomy as possible while still not engaging my financial responsibility. done
Purchase real estate in Brussel to avoid paying rent.
Find a way to do my work away from the office to maximize free time.
Find a sunny country where infrastructure is good, law is enforced, yet workforce costs little, so as to be able to afford domestics.
Teach a few locals to do parts of my job while still keeping control of the whole thing. Basically, divide to reign and subcontract what is boring.
Purchase real estate in said country.

If things go smooth enough, I should live under the tropics like a prince.
My earnings from Belgium should be enough to pay a couple of local domestics and assistants.
With an easy life and enough free time, I can set myself to more creative tasks. Maybe even start a family of my own, even though I don't value the traditional idea of family.

If things go wrong, I can still fall back in Belgium. From then, either I start again or I settle for a more conventional lifestyle, depending of what life will teach me.

Mary Leathert
2010-04-18, 04:26 PM
1. Graduate from the university
2. Find a permanent job I like.
3. Maintain a social contact with the people I care about, whatever I do with my life. Because even with a job, I would get depressed pretty soon without my friends and family.
4. Fall in love. I just haven't actually done it ever, I want to know what it feels like. Even better would be to get someone to love me back, but that isn't something I can exactly make my goal.
5. Visit Japan, New Zealand, some other places maybe. Like Oxford again, even though I have already been there twice. I want to be able to travel.

In general, a lot of time when I see or read about people who have done something interesting in their life, taken some other route than the job+family one, I get this idea that it would be nice if I had the courage to do that. Like take some time off from studying, and just travel around. Or become a volunteer and help people who have it much worse than me. And then reality hits and I know that I don't have the guts to leave the comfort of my home and steady life with no suprises. I want to do interesting things but I don't like anything unexpectant, then I just panic, because I'm not very spontaneous. That's the reason I would like a job I know I can keep as long as I'm of working age. I don't like uncertainty.

Gosh I'm boring. I don't even have any this-I-have-always-wanted-to-experience things. Even my freams are small and ordinary.

thubby
2010-04-18, 04:29 PM
mine is simple, yet challenging.
learn everything i possibly can and pass it on.

Moff Chumley
2010-04-18, 04:37 PM
I can't imagine sticking at one job for life... that's what I like about Sound Recording Technology. There's the obvious stuff, like working as an recoding or mix engineer, there's music for film, there's being a conventional touring/studio musician, there's working at a gear manufacturer, there's Djing and electronic music, and hopefully at some point production. I'd love doing any of those things, but I can't imagine wanting to stick with any one of them as a full-time job for life... :smalleek::smallconfused:

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-18, 04:50 PM
I'm noticing a lot of students in this thread.

- I'd like to graduate well.

- In my head I'd like to be a uni lecturer, but in my heart I know I'm just too damn lazy.

- I want a job that will pay all my expenses and leave enough left over to treat my (future) kids right. I used to obsess over work, but recently I'm discovering that family is far more important to me. I could work the most mind-numbing job in the world and it'd be worth it as long as I got to go home to a family all of my own.[/50's cliche]

- Win the lottery.

- Invent a working and effective perpetual motion engine.

Nono
2010-04-18, 04:57 PM
Hmm Ive never really thought about goals, but things Id like to do for sure!

-Become a master in illustration and drawing
-Work in the game industry
-Go to Oktoberfest!
-Get off the computer (ONE DAY~)

Hm, thats about it, confusing what I'd do after that though. Maybe I'll build a kite?

Faulty
2010-04-18, 06:47 PM
1. Mentally balance myself so that I can work well.
2. Get a degree.
3. Get a job that has a positive impact on the world.
4. Earn enough to get a small place, probably an apartment, and love cozily with a cat or two.
5. Polyamorous relationship with Chan Marshall, Karen Gillan and Sara Quin.

Moff Chumley
2010-04-18, 07:45 PM
5. Polyamorous relationship with Chan Marshall, Karen Gillan and Sara Quin.

/thread The Game. This message brought to you by Chumley's lack of originality.

Trog
2010-04-18, 07:50 PM
Be happy..

Falgorn
2010-04-18, 07:51 PM
Be happy..

Yes. So much.

I also want to be a diplomat, in the Peace Corps, or do some other job that allows me to spread happy.

Lord Raziere
2010-04-18, 07:57 PM
become an author....other than that I dunno....maybe get a cat.

skywalker
2010-04-18, 08:25 PM
Just 1 thing:

Change the world.

Love it!

This is the attitude most likely to keep you from getting it...

- In my head I'd like to be a uni lecturer, but in my heart I know I'm just too damn lazy.

I've known plenty of people who thought they were too ambitious to be a lecturer, never anyone who thought they were too lazy...

Anyway, I'm really into to-do lists. Here's the one that says "To Do: Life" at the top:
1. To be my own man and to pursue my own dreams.
2. To have a wife who is loving, caring, and beautiful. Who understands my dreams and shares my ways of looking at people and communicating. Who is fun-loving, shares some or most of my interests, and enjoys the things I enjoy as much as I do.
3. To have children, to love and guide them as best as I can, and to provide for them a wealth of information and foundation from which to become whatever they want to be.
4. To educate my fellow man, to help him understand more fully the ways the world works and what decisions he might base off that.
5. To be successful at my chosen field.
6. To be comfortable financially, and to have my family have what they want and especially need.
7. To travel and see all the places I’ve dreamed of.
8. To be ethically clear in my decisions, and to be steady in my commitments.
9. To be kind to my mind, spirit, and body, and to those of others.
10. To have fun!

Reinholdt
2010-04-18, 08:38 PM
1. Save lots of money (pretty good at this, so not too concerned).
2. Buy a house. Preferably without getting mortgages involved.
3. Retire as early as possible. Tomorrow would be great.
4. Beat I Wanna Be the Guy on its hardest difficulty level.

Kaiser Omnik
2010-04-18, 08:44 PM
1. Start work on my thesis.
2. Finish my thesis one day.

druid91
2010-04-18, 08:47 PM
Out-live the universe, that's about it anything else is either a bonus or a consolation prize depending on whether or not I succeed.

arguskos
2010-04-18, 09:04 PM
This is the attitude most likely to keep you from getting it...
Much as I'm all about pointing out my personal flaws, that is somehow unhelpful, if very true. Good point though. I'll append my list:
1. Stop talking so damn much.
2. All that other stuff.

Erothayce
2010-04-18, 11:07 PM
1. Open my own bike shop
2. Hang out and stay in contact with all my good friends
3. Live life to the fullest of my abilities at all times.

Not shooting too high by most people's standards but that's fine with me.

Mushroom Ninja
2010-04-18, 11:35 PM
Long-term/Unreachable Goal to Strive for:
- Learn Everything

More Manageable (hopefully?) Goal:
- Live a good life.

Icewalker
2010-04-18, 11:38 PM
The super short version basically goes
Neuroscience => Immortality => Everything.

The long version involves learning to no end, a trip around the world, advancement of the human body first through training, martial arts, meditation, learning to control things most people can't, and then eventually through science, neuroscience especially. Also taking over the world, but I'm sure you'll hear about that one when/if it happens.

Serpentine
2010-04-18, 11:57 PM
I can't imagine sticking at one job for life... that's what I like about Sound Recording Technology. There's the obvious stuff, like working as an recoding or mix engineer, there's music for film, there's being a conventional touring/studio musician, there's working at a gear manufacturer, there's Djing and electronic music, and hopefully at some point production. I'd love doing any of those things, but I can't imagine wanting to stick with any one of them as a full-time job for life... :smalleek::smallconfused:My dad is in his 50s, and I don't think he's stuck to one job for more than 10 years. In the last couple of years he's been talking about how he's over his current one (Cultural Coordinator for the Gold Coast City Council or somesuch) and it's time to move on. Unfortunately, I think his age is somewhat retarding his ability to get a new one he likes, but it is still certainly possible to have a variety of jobs and do quite well. Though maybe not as well as sticking to the one... A bit like multiclassing, really :smallwink:

1. Open my own bike shop
2. Hang out and stay in contact with all my good friends
3. Live life to the fullest of my abilities at all times.

Not shooting too high by most people's standards but that's fine with me.Hey, nothing wrong with that. If everyone aimed "higher", there'd be noone to run bike shops, and then where we'd be?
I think (middle class?) folks do tend to undervalue trades and "bluecollar", I suppose, jobs, which is a shame. I mean, I have a double degree, but that doesn't mean I know the first thing about plumbing! All a bunch of different but equal skill sets.

Along those lines, I think I'd like to get another degree eventually. Maybe in Cryptozoology or Mythology.

Krade
2010-04-19, 12:08 AM
After all, if everyone goes to college and gets a fancy job, who will work at Burger King? <--- Old history teacher's favorite thing to say regarding kids who don't appreciate school. He was a fun guy. I played cribbage with him during lunch. He usually won.

My list? So far all I got is to be happy with what I get. I'm kinda drifting right now. Eventually I'm gonna start taking courses again, but I couldn't give a timeframe on that.

thubby
2010-04-19, 02:23 AM
After all, if everyone goes to college and gets a fancy job, who will work at Burger King? <--- Old history teacher's favorite thing to say regarding kids who don't appreciate school. He was a fun guy. I played cribbage with him during lunch. He usually won.

that's what teenagers are for.

CWater
2010-04-19, 04:05 AM
What I would want to do...

1.Stay in touch with my good friends. (Couldn't live without them!:smallsmile:)
2.Travel around. (I want to know what this globe we live on is like!)
3.Get published. (My imagination is what actually keeps me alive here :smallwink:)
4.Get a job I don't hate. (Doesn't need to be very well paid, just enough that I do not need to worry about money all the time)
5.Do something to make this world a better place. (Doesn't need to be anything too grand. Maybe I'll join some humanitarian organization or the like someday. Do I actually have the guts to do this? We shall see:smallamused:)
6.Finish my uni studies. (Education is needed, at least in this country)
7.Have house that is located right next to the sea. (Love the fresh sea air in the morning)

That's pretty much it... Well, be a good person all in all and not to cause any misfortune or suffering to other people, but that's something rather obvious.

Castaras
2010-04-19, 05:14 AM

The aurora is indeed amazing. I was lucky enough to have it appear one night further south than normal. :smallsmile: Would be awesome to see it again. :smallbiggrin:

HellfireLover
2010-04-19, 06:04 AM
Since my ambition is stone dead at this point in life, I want to achieve inner peace, live moderately comfortably, and die in a peaceful manner. If I leave behind any sort of physical or mental legacy, that will be a bonus.

Lavieru
2010-04-19, 10:07 AM
1.Stay in touch with my good friends. (Couldn't live without them!:smallsmile:)
2.Travel around. (I want to know what this globe we live on is like!)
3.Get published. (My imagination is what actually keeps me alive here :smallwink:)
4.Get a job I don't hate. (Doesn't need to be very well paid, just enough that I do not need to worry about money all the time)
5.Do something to make this world a better place. (Doesn't need to be anything too grand. Maybe I'll join some humanitarian organization or the like someday. Do I actually have the guts to do this? We shall see:smallamused:)
6.Finish my uni studies. (Education is needed, at least in this country)

Wow. Well, maybe it’ll sound strange, CWater, but these 6 points are mirroring my life goals as well. :smallsmile:

Same as CWater I want to live my life without being separated with my two best friends. I can’t imagine my life without them.

I also want to travel the world, to see tens of countries, different cultures and customs. I wonder if I could become a journalist that writes articles about tourism. That way I could see the world (for free since travel agencies that need advertising would pay :smallamused:) and have a job that I won’t hate at the same time. And I don’t even care what salary I would get as long as I could travel. Ah, dreams, dreams… :smallsigh:

At the same time it would be nice if I could become a professional writer. There are so many ideas for fantasy books in my head! And I already wrote one. The only thing that keeps me from writing the others is my laziness and the lack of time. Maybe one day I’ll sit and write them all, but… it’s really hard to get published in my town anyway. :smallfrown:

As for “doing something to make this world a better place”… It would be pretty nice if I could. But all I did for that for a time being was trying not to litter on the streets and giving blood from time to time. I know I’m not as good as I wanna be.

And what comes for the lesser goals… I say, find a boyfriend (that not a jerk), improve my English and join the Camp America program next year (though I doubt even that could happen :smallsigh:).
I think I’ll be really happy already if only one of these dreams will come true. :smalltongue:

Faulty
2010-04-19, 10:09 AM
Be happy..

You are so simple, but so wise.

thorgrim29
2010-04-19, 09:28 PM
Hum.... Lesse:

1: Know love (seriously, whenever I hear one of my friends bitching about his breakups I get a bit peeved, better to get burned then to stay cold and all that stuff). Ideally have a long term relationship following said love.

2: Finish my degree with at least a 3.0 GPA

3: Become a CMA (certified management accountant)

- Get in shape (getting tired of those 40 or so pounds, I like cookies, chips and booze too much for my own good)

4: Eventually get a MBA

5: Find a job I like, is challenging and does not require more then 45 hours a week on average (yeah a bit of a stretch in my field I know, but I need my gaming/goofing off time to stay sane). Oh and gets me enough money to live comfortably and if possible build a small appartment building empire. Right now it looks like consultant could fit the bill.

6: Don't die (not totally under my control, I figure I need to survive long enough for the scientists to discover a way to halt aging/download ourselves into clones/both, and have enough money that I can pay for it)

Cleverdan22
2010-04-20, 06:25 PM
Well, first I hope to get into the honors college that I'm going for, so there's that.

But overall, in life, I'd like to be a writer. My most idealistic dream job is starting up a video game company with my cousin/best friend, as the two creative minds behind the whole thing. I write, he codes, its simple enough. We've been bouncing ideas around about how to make this come true, but we're not planning on doing much about it until we both get out of college.

Other than that, however, being a novelist would be great, but that's not realistic at all, I'm very aware of how competitive the market is. I'd like to write *for* things. You know, dialog for movies, tv shows, video games, or what have you. All I really know is that I want to do something with my writing.

Krade
2010-04-20, 09:54 PM
that's what teenagers are for.The problem with that is teenagers can't be managers. Sure, if they were geared towards that kind of job it wouldn't be a problem, but the current state of the world does not allow for that. Without the underachieving and willfully uneducated masses, society would crumble. Ambition is good. Great, even. But a certain percentage of the population needs to stay down to support our way of life. This is just the way it is, and it can not be changed by anything short of rebuilding after complete economic collapse on a global scale.

Kinda funny seeing the parallels in this and the goblins in OotS. Kinda makes you wonder if there's some kind of message in the story... of course it is probably just a coincidence:smalltongue:

Edit: Need to add something to my list of things to do...
Break down society and have it rebuilt by Daniel Quinn.
Note: Need to hurry on this, the man's getting kinda old.

ForzaFiori
2010-04-20, 10:01 PM
The aurora is indeed amazing. I was lucky enough to have it appear one night further south than normal. :smallsmile: Would be awesome to see it again. :smallbiggrin:

During one point of huge solar activity, it was visible as far south as...Rome I believe. I know that it was seen in DC and northern Europe. Pretty sure parts of Southern Europe as well.

skywalker
2010-04-21, 12:48 AM
The problem with that is teenagers can't be managers. Sure, if they were geared towards that kind of job it wouldn't be a problem, but the current state of the world does not allow for that. Without the underachieving and willfully uneducated masses, society would crumble. Ambition is good. Great, even. But a certain percentage of the population needs to stay down to support our way of life. This is just the way it is, and it can not be changed by anything short of rebuilding after complete economic collapse on a global scale.

Kinda funny seeing the parallels in this and the goblins in OotS. Kinda makes you wonder if there's some kind of message in the story... of course it is probably just a coincidence:smalltongue:

Edit: Need to add something to my list of things to do...
Break down society and have it rebuilt by Daniel Quinn.
Note: Need to hurry on this, the man's getting kinda old.

No, what we need to do is continue pushing current tech boundaries until we develop ourselves into a post-scarcity state. Global economic collapse will not do the trick, at least not for the Quinn perspective. We would actually have to break down culture. In essence, you would have to kill every human except for a few you raised to think the way he postulates.

Much faster to develop ourselves out of scarcity, much less killing (which some consider unsavory), much more cushy (less living in the jungle wrapped in leaves), and most importantly, much less "skywalker dies due to not being able to exist in a primitive environment."

Yes, I like my way better.

Not that Quinn isn't/wasn't cool.

Yarram
2010-04-21, 01:41 AM
Do something beautiful.

That's it.

Dr. Bath
2010-04-21, 01:49 AM
Everything.

Every experience. All of them.

Johel
2010-04-21, 02:01 AM
Everything.

Slaanesh has an offer for you.

banjo1985
2010-04-21, 03:58 AM
Become a published author.
Have a happy and long life with Mrs B.

That's it. Those two things and I'll die a very happy man. I'd even settle for publishing on a vanity press, anything really.

Dori
2010-04-21, 04:30 AM
I had a really good advice from a well to do guy.

You never really know what you want to do in your life till 3 years later after you've graduate from university and work at your first job.

Extra_Crispy
2010-04-21, 06:34 AM
1. Go back to school and get either a degree in nursing anesthesia (1st choice) or teaching.
2. Get married and have at least 1 kid. I dont want a woman to have all my same interests. That would be boring. But she does need to be beautiful. (my deffination of beautiful does not include physical appearance, it is about heart, mind, and soul) I think I have found her.
3. Live long enough to see my children grow up, and start lives of their own.
4. Stop collecting scars (both physical and other)

that is really all for now

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-21, 11:43 AM
Everything.

Can't be done. For one thing you will never taste my mother's meatloaf, which is in itself an experience :smallwink:

Dr. Bath
2010-04-23, 03:30 AM
I can damn well try. How do you know I don't have a time machine/broken into your mum's house and stolen leftovers? Huh? Huh?

Coidzor
2010-04-23, 03:39 AM
1. figure out what the hell I want to do.

2. see the aurora

3. reproduce so as to secure what little immortality is open to humans.

4. travel. No places in particular pop to mind, but I wanna wander, really wander.

5. master the culinary arts.

6. come up with number six.

7. Become Good enough that I can accept that I am as Good as possible to fit into my frame without being either delusional or a lying *****. Discarded as a futile waste of time.

8. True Love Set aside until 1 is completed.

killing (which some consider unsavory)

BROOOOOOOOOKLYN RAAAAAAGE :furious:

My buttons, Sir, You have pressed them.

Moff Chumley
2010-04-23, 05:53 PM
One thing that all of us should probably consider doing in the near future...

DO A BARREL ROLL

katans
2010-04-26, 04:30 AM
Took this little exercise at a management training a year ago... I came up with something like that:
- Sharing (time, experiences, emotions, whatever) with the ones I love.
- Reaching and maintaining a balanced lifestyle, under both the physical and the psychological aspect.
- Collect a broad professional experience and share it with others.

The whole stuff came in a more detailed form with sub-points and so on, but as a rough outline this is pretty good.

JediSoth
2010-04-26, 07:38 AM
My life goals have continually evolved since I became familiar with the concept, and I'm sure they'll keep changing as certain possibilities become more attainable.

Right now, my life goals are:
1) To become a published author* and make that my career.
2) Visit 6/7 continents - Antarctica would be nice, but I'm willing to forgo that one for South America, Africa, and Asia.
3) See the Milky Way again, with access to a good telescope.
3a) See the night sky from the Southern Hemisphere with as little light pollution as possible.
4) Live to see The Singularity towards which we seem to be headed.

*I've had gaming stuff published, I'm talking about my fiction, here.

Thajocoth
2010-04-26, 10:14 AM
I've completed most of them, but running out of goals doesn't work... Just as an adventurer always needs another quest... It's not really the completion that's important, but the pursuit.

My current goal is to expand on my video game programming expertise into the field of artificial intelligence, and then get a job in this more specialized field. This is a very short-term goal though. I'm working on a demo in my spare time that, in the process of making it, I specifically need to look up and implement various artificial intelligence algorithms. I'm 5 days into it and I should be done within a few weeks. After that, not only are a lot of game companies looking specifically for AI devs, but I'll have a demo I can show them of what I can do, and source code to go with it. Really, this is a pretty easy goal...

Granted, for many people, location of a company is a big deal. Many wish to not move a lot, or to find something close to the people they know. I'm willing to move pretty far, so long as I'm still within the US & Canada. I'd prefer not to wind up in Texas, but it's fine if I do, and north is better than south 'cause I've got a snowboard and overheat easily.

What will my next goal be? I don't know. I'll figure that out after I complete this one.

Faleldir
2010-04-26, 09:03 PM
I want to concentrate. My mind is so fragmented I can hardly hold a conversation without long pauses. Every time I try to do something difficult, I get a rush of random memories and lose my train of thought. I'm already taking drugs for all of the neurological disorders I know I have, so I'm afraid to tell anyone because they'll think I'm exaggerating.

As a result, I've never been able to practice any skill long enough to accomplish more than the bare minimum. When I was a little kid, I was told that I had a high IQ and was good at writing, but as the years went by, my mind rejected work and study more violently. It got so bad that I had to do my exams in a totally empty separate room with extra time. I studied computer programming for a few years, yet I know nothing about computers that wasn't taught to me because I don't have the willpower to learn in my spare time. I feel like I'm full of undiscovered potential and I hate myself for it. If I could just dedicate myself to one task, any task, I would be happy.

Coplantor
2010-04-27, 08:36 AM
Well, I want to be the very best, like no one ever was!

OK, seriously, I want to live to the point where science will allow me to swap this weak fleshy body for a better one made of METAL!

Now, even more seriously, I'd like to live of something that allows me to be creative, be it graphic design wich is what I study (and I'm getting progressively worst), illustration wich is my passion or acting wich is my secret dream (if only I had time:smallsigh:).

A few years ago, I was soooo into looking forward to having a family of my own one day, now? It sort of terrifies me.

I'd like to write a book, make my own RPG or write a movie script thats worth watching.

I'd like to grow a crazy moustache, have a house wich makes no sense you know? Doors that hace brick walls behind, rooms that can be only accessed through windows, secret passages, a ridiculous tall tower with nothing but a stair down on the top, a room with mirrors in the roof and the floor. Long circular corridors to make segway/wheel chair races with my friends.

Keep in touch with my best friends would be nice, from my parents experience it seems that it's a hard task but hey! I have internet :smalltongue:

And I'd like to know what's the deal with the number 23.

Johel
2010-04-27, 08:39 AM
Can't be done. For one thing you will never taste my mother's meatloaf, which is in itself an experience :smallwink:

And by meatloaf, you mean...
[/freetroll]

Ichneumon
2010-04-27, 08:46 AM
For good or bad?

I'd say for Good, but my version of good, that is.:smallcool:

Cleverdan22
2010-04-27, 12:41 PM
As for a more "bucket list" type thing, I've got a few.

1. Take a group of ten or more to a convention and dress up as the full cast of some show or game.
2. Skydiving
3. Have a 20 or more person snowball fight
4. Meet all my idols.
5. Punch a bear square in the face (This, preferably, should be the last item on the list)

Quincunx
2010-04-27, 01:07 PM
Create more art; polish art to finer finish; achieve maximum exposure of art.
Bestow upon myself the power to negate evil; destroy an evil.
Provide a comfortable life to singular, selected animals, and one person.
Think deeper. Think further. Scramble someone's mind with art or thought.
Cease bleeding. Continue thinking. Live as long as desired, and not longer.

skywalker
2010-04-27, 01:16 PM
BROOOOOOOOOKLYN RAAAAAAGE :furious:

My buttons, Sir, You have pressed them.

He-what?

5. Punch a bear square in the face (This, preferably, should be the last item on the list)

This would be a terrible way to end your life...

Cleverdan22
2010-04-27, 01:30 PM
He-what?

This would be a terrible way to end your life...

But really awesome. Either that or run straight at a train, punching it for impact (As per Lords of Discipline)

DSCrankshaw
2010-04-27, 01:39 PM
I see a number of aspiring writers here. Cool, competition.

But why wait? Write a few stories, send them to some of the mags. Start here (http://www.ralan.com). Getting published isn't easy, but it's not an enigma either.

Thajocoth
2010-04-27, 02:11 PM
New goal acquired: Self-patience.

I'm not patient when it comes to anything I do. So, for example, if I were to start working out, I would stop within a week or two, as I'd've seen no effect yet, and I just don't have the patience for that. I've got far more patience for others... For example, someone's owed me about $20,000 for nearly a year now, and I simply trust that they'll pay it back by the time I need it. (They've always paid me back before, so I trust them.)