PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Ruined Keep for an Undead Army

tahu88810
2010-04-18, 01:36 PM
So my group is beginning a new D&D campaign and, as usual, I am DMing it. Set in a steam punk setting, it will revolve around the world's battle against an evil necromancer, with groups of adventurers (particularly the players) taking a major role.
This is all well and good, but I'm having trouble fleshing out the first adventure. It will begin in the human army's camp just within the ruins of a large town that has since been annihilated by the undead hordes, on the eve of the human's attack on an old and ruined keep/castle/fortress which the undead are currently in control of. There have been rumors that the device which the lead necromancer uses, an eldritch machine created with a mixture of technology and dark magic, to create and control his undead monstrosities, is within the keep. During the chaos of the attack, the players are supposed to slip into the keep and take out the enemy leaders (powerful undead and necromancers) with a side goal of finding the machine and destroying it (they have explicit orders to put destroying it atop their list of priorities, above even surviving, if they find it there).
This is where things get messy...as I am not entirely certain how this ruined keep should be set up, and how the undead might inhabit it. So far I have only the following ideas:
-Large throne room on the top floor houses a massive purple gem surrounded by and attached to clockwork mechanisms.(Not the machine, but an eldritch device nonetheless. It puts a permanent Darkness and Desecrate in a 3mile radius around the gem and allows a cleric to command 5X the number of undead they would normally be able to)
--Stone stairs leading to throne room are covered in rubble, and undead use this to their advantage somehow?
-Crypts containing fallen heroes and knights who used to inhabit the castle.
-Kitchen is used to prepare alchemical ingredients and create more undead. (Makeshift altar is set up, which continues to have a normal permanent desecrate on it even after the device is destroy)
-Lieutenant is a Wheep (Libris Mortis), who's sobbing echoes down nearby corridors.
-Prisoners who have been mounted by a Bloodrot (Heroes of horror)

I am unsure of what else to put in, and also what sort of undead to use in order to challenge my players, who are all ECL 10.
At the moment, the party consists of:
Warforged Artificer (who loves homonculi and can never have enough daka)
Half-elf Rogue (with a pistol of undead bane, and a metalline rapier. A noble who has been expelled from his house)
Human-Ghoul Fighter (Primarily damage. Uses a falchion and focuses on getting criticals)
Awakened Sloth Druid (Our...comic relief. Rides a megaraptor and calls down lightning. One of the few remaining druids in the world, as druids were largely wiped out in the initial attack of undead)

The Undead are Led by a Death Knight (Yet to stat him out, I've been meaning to do that today). This is subject to change if anyone has any better suggestions.

I can obtain access to any 3.5 books.

Zen Master
2010-04-18, 03:01 PM
I've always wondered at the link between undead and ruins.

Undead don't get bored, never tire, and can do menial work endlessly. I always picture an undead stronhold as being in the most perfekt state of repair, with minions constantly maintaining and upgrading it.

tahu88810
2010-04-18, 03:02 PM
I've always wondered at the link between undead and ruins.

Undead don't get bored, never tire, and can do menial work endlessly. I always picture an undead stronhold as being in the most perfekt state of repair, with minions constantly maintaining and upgrading it.

The undead recently razed a nearby town. The ruins are just a temporary base of operations that the enemy has bivouacked in for some time now.

BRC
2010-04-18, 04:26 PM
It depends on how much time you're willing to put into this.

The best way to do it would be to first design, or imagine, the Keep in it's origional state. "Here is the Storeroom, the guardhouse, the barracks, the noble's quarters, the servant's barracks, the kitchens, the smithy", ect. Then imagine how each part was damaged or destroyed in the attack.
If you want to be very very nasty, here is what I would do.

The Castle has been filled with very weak Undead for the most part. Basic 1HD skeletons. Each room has a gong, or a stone of alarm, in it. The Skeletons have standing orders to, if they see an intruder, activate the alarm.

In the Throne Room, some powerful Incorporeal Undead are waiting. When the alarm goes off, they move through the walls to investigate.

I would let the players do things to make their lives easier. There are three powerful Necromancer Lieutenant's in the Keep, Each specializing in a different type of undead. By eliminating the lieutenant, they remove that type of Undead from play. Not every undead in the fortress is controlled by one of these lieutenants, but many of them/especially tough ones are.

Example

Klaros the Engineer: This Necromancer as taken to using technology to modify his undead, creating massive brutes, undead full of clockwork and steam (uses the Hulking Corpse from Libris Mortis, refluff it as being modified with steampunkness). These monstrosities are present in the Keep. If Klaros is killed, they will become comotose and non-responsive.

The Shadow: A mysterious, cloaked necromancer with great power over incorporeal undead, he commands a large number of ghosts and shadows. These spirits are bound to the Material plane by his will alone, if he is killed, they will disperse, making the keep that much less secure.

tahu88810
2010-04-18, 05:03 PM
BRC: Thank you! That was exactly the sort of answer I was looking for!
I'm most certainly going to use your idea about having lieutenants that control some of the more powerful undead.
I'm not sure about the gongs, because I'd think that with a massive battle going on the ethereal undead would already know that there are intruders, but I may have a few wards or the like that call more powerful undead back from the front lines in the event that there is a breach.
Thanks again :)

Gerion
2010-04-18, 05:34 PM
if you can get acess to expedition to castle ravenloft, look for the stradh zombies. Zombies powerfull enough to challenge a ecl 6 group with just about 4 zombies.

I would make the rank and file undead soliders somewhat thouger. Like giving them 4-8 hd instead the usual 1 or 2 a human undead gets

Tyrmatt
2010-04-18, 05:38 PM
Because I'm a bit of a lazy soul when it comes to this, I like to find a schematic of an already existant keep and modify it for my own means rather than design one from scratch.

http://wow.incgamers.com/w/images/7/7e/Shadowfang_keep.jpg

Starbuck_II
2010-04-18, 05:43 PM
Human-Ghoul Fighter (Primarily damage. Uses a falchion and focuses on getting criticals)

Back this part up... how is both human and ghoul?
Or is he a ghoul (who was human) with levels in Fighter?

Myshlaevsky
2010-04-18, 05:58 PM
Back this part up... how is both human and ghoul?
Or is he a ghoul (who was human) with levels in Fighter?

There is a ghoul class in Libris Mortis.

Edit: You might find the MMII and MMIII useful, they have more Undead than the others if I remember right.

tahu88810
2010-04-18, 06:14 PM
There is a ghoul class in Libris Mortis.

Yep, that'd be it.

Thanks for the map, Tyrmatt :)

I planned to do something like that, Gerion. I'll see if I can get my hands on Castle Ravenloft, too, and use that as well.

AslanCross
2010-04-18, 06:38 PM
Use traps that only affect living creatures, like poison. If you've got skeletons, they're immune to cold, so you can use those.

Monster Manual III has a really awesome monster---the CR 13 Charnel Hound. It's a mass of corpses stuck together into a huge canine form. CR 10 characters are pretty capable of taking out such a monster, especially thanks to action economy.

There's also the Plague Spewer, a CR 10 Huge monster, which is perfect for laying siege to towns since it spreads plague and is too tough for warriors to take down.

Also, since the keep is ruined, have all sorts of treacherous floors and walls that can collapse at the slightest touch. This can work both ways--as a trap for the PCs, or if they have the right knowledge ranks, they could turn it against the undead.

Toliudar
2010-04-18, 06:48 PM
I was less confused about the human/ghoul part than about the part where a character is focused around getting crits...in an undead heavy campaign. Ah well.

If there's an escape tunnel, and the machine really is in the ruins, then the climactic encounter could be a race to stop the death knight from escaping with the machine.

AslanCross
2010-04-18, 07:12 PM
Oh yeah. BONEDRINKERS. They're probably too weak in their RAW form, but advancing them by a couple of HD to boost their grapple checks is going to help.

PersonMan
2010-04-18, 07:16 PM
I was less confused about the human/ghoul part than about the part where a character is focused around getting crits...in an undead heavy campaign. Ah well.

If there's an escape tunnel, and the machine really is in the ruins, then the climactic encounter could be a race to stop the death knight from escaping with the machine.

Maybe undead aren't immune to criticals in this campaign?

I agree. However, if you're using the necromancer lieutenants idea, you could have each have 1/3 of the key to unlock the passage after the Death Knight has gone in, or somesuch.