PDA

View Full Version : Class that messes with time?

Magic Myrmidon
2010-04-18, 02:18 PM
I've always loved the idea of messing with the flow of time. All sorts of fun things you could do. I've also seen all sorts of assorted time spells, but it's kinda scattered from what I've noticed.

So is there some sort of prestige class that focuses on the control of time? Like a timewarper or something? Out of curiosity... and I'm probably going to play one in the future if there is one.

Critical
2010-04-18, 02:19 PM
Time domain cleric?

Volthawk
2010-04-18, 02:20 PM
Off the top of my head, Swiftblade (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070327).

Magic Myrmidon
2010-04-18, 02:20 PM
Time domain cleric?

Eh... I'm not a fan of clerics. Plus, well, I would imagine that the relatively. small amount of domain spells kinda limits what they can do with time.

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-18, 02:23 PM
Eh... I'm not a fan of clerics. Plus, well, I would imagine that the relatively. small amount of domain spells kinda limits what they can do with time.

Arcane Disciple Feat on a Wizard or Sorcerer, then take Swiftblade maybe.

Edit: Mongoose Publishing made a book called Chronomancy (http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=1812&it=1) Haven't read it, but maybe someone else has and can comment on whether it's worth it.

Sydonai
2010-04-18, 02:28 PM
Zerth Cenobite PRC.

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-18, 02:29 PM
Zerth Cenobite PRC.

And where would this be from? I'm curious.

Zach J.
2010-04-18, 02:31 PM
This is weird. I just found the Swiftblade class through Google, thought it looked pretty interesting and then I found this thread.

Magic Myrmidon
2010-04-18, 02:33 PM
Swiftblade does make you seem to make everything else go slow, but in effect, you're just going SUPER fast. Not quite what I was thinking.

Just from the name, Chronomancy sounds exactly like what I was thinking, but the description sounds... odd. I don't see why controlling time would make you insane, unless you traveled into the future and saw something horrible, or changed the past or something.

See, you know how Swiftblade focuses on Haste? I was thinking of a prestige that focused on Time Stop or Time Hop, or... or actual time travel. The thing is, this would likely be difficult to balance.

Sydonai
2010-04-18, 02:33 PM
Zerth Cenobite is in the (dreaded)Complete Psionics book.

Requires +4BAB
9 ranks Concentration
at least 2pp
and "Still Mind" as a class feature.

Traditionally taken by Githzerai monks.

Xallace
2010-04-18, 02:37 PM
I'm pretty sure time-control is one of the major schticks of the Psychoportation psionic discipline.

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-18, 02:41 PM
...See, you know how Swiftblade focuses on Haste? I was thinking of a prestige that focused on Time Stop or Time Hop, or... or actual time travel. The thing is, this would likely be difficult to balance.

Don't know about any classes like that, but this page (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/pg/20030409b) offers the Teleport Through Time Spell.

Moriato
2010-04-18, 02:42 PM
I'm pretty sure time-control is one of the major schticks of the Psychoportation psionic discipline.

It is, and in fact I was about to mention this. Damn ninjas.

They tend to be high level powers, but they get a lot of them. Might be worth looking into.

Sinfire Titan
2010-04-18, 03:09 PM
Spell-to-Power Erudite can mess with time in more ways than most other classes. Especially considering the Psionic Save Point trick.

Magic Myrmidon
2010-04-18, 03:15 PM
Zerth Cenobite is almost exactly what I was looking for. It just sucks that it's for monks, pretty much.

Also, it seems that psychoportation does indeed have time stuff, but not as focused as I hoped.

Sinfire Titan
2010-04-18, 03:18 PM
Zerth Cenobite is almost exactly what I was looking for. It just sucks that it's for monks, pretty much.

Also, it seems that psychoportation does indeed have time stuff, but not as focused as I hoped.

Which is why I said StP. You grab the spells and the powers that deal with Time.

Really, Time Travel is dangerous. The Devs were smart enough to not make a class that hyper specializes in messing with time.

Magic Myrmidon
2010-04-18, 03:23 PM
Ah, after looking at the Spell-to-Power thing, that could be fun.

And yeah, whenever I think of time control, I see it as... well... all-powerful. (Next to reality control.) To be honest, I didn't expect to find much, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that, if you do it right, you could pretty much make a time-specializing psionic person.

hamishspence
2010-04-18, 03:36 PM
If you're using D20 Cthulhu with D&D rules (the book does suggest that it can be done) there's at least one powerful time-gate spell in that.

Drascin
2010-04-18, 03:43 PM

If it's the class I think it is, the Zenobite also has another problem. Namely, as a poster in another forum said, "It's a cool, flavorful class, and you get to be really really awesome... once per day". Really, the uses of everything are so steeply limited it's no fun...

Trekkin
2010-04-18, 06:46 PM
The Chronomancer has a similar problem; you take permanent damage and penalties to saves in the form of Paradox every time you use your powers for anything beyond the norm, and you permanently lose spell slots to increase your abilities.

The "it's possible, but costly" theme really needs to take into account that permanent losses for temporary benefits quickly cripples the average PC, either by making them afraid to use their powers or by killing them for using them.

Penitent
2010-04-18, 07:58 PM
Time Mage (http://www.tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=50995)

You are welcome.

Scorpions__
2010-04-18, 09:02 PM
IIRC the Elocater from the Psionics Handbook warps time to some degree, it's a prestige class based on super-speed.

DM[F]R

Deth Muncher
2010-04-18, 09:07 PM

You are welcome.

I LIKE that. All class entries should be written like that.

Magic Myrmidon
2010-04-18, 10:05 PM

You are welcome.

That's pretty much perfect. :p

Well, I mean, I'd probably have to discuss nerfing it with the DM, since I don't think he'd want me moving at 60 ft per second at level one... and some other things. Plus I'll have to look up what a "medium" BAB means, as well as what a "Good" Fort and Ref saves constitute.

Eldariel
2010-04-18, 10:10 PM
That's pretty much perfect. :p

Well, I mean, I'd probably have to discuss nerfing it with the DM, since I don't think he'd want me moving at 60 ft per second at level one... and some other things. Plus I'll have to look up what a "medium" BAB means, as well as what a "Good" Fort and Ref saves constitute.

Medium BAB is Cleric BAB, Good Fort/Ref is the starts-at-+2 progression and leaves Poor Will (the 0-0-1-1-2 progression).

cupkeyk
2010-04-18, 10:54 PM
I played a similar theme a few years back with a fatespinner with the time warping spells, celerity and timestop, as well as unluck and the reroll buffs. I reflavored the rerolls as time rewinding until a critical time before starting back up with my party now having foreknowledge of events.