PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Throwing shield + ranged powers?

Hal
2010-04-18, 09:15 PM
So, I picked up a throwing shield at a recent session. I wanted it so that I could make ranged attacks without having to switch weapons. As a warlord, this is a good thing. My question, though, is whether or not the throwing shield would work with ranged warlord powers.

The other players in my group said no; it isn't itself a weapon with the ranged property (or thrown/heavy thrown), it is an enchantment that gives it a ranged attack power, so that wouldn't qualify.

What are the thoughts here? Technically I think they're right, but I feel like it wouldn't be a stretch to let it happen all the same; since you lack a proficiency bonus on attacks made with the shield, you certainly aren't getting a major advantage by using it with powers.

Aron Times
2010-04-18, 09:30 PM
It won't break the game to allow it. It doesn't have a lot of range nor does it do a lot of damage, so there really isn't any problem in allowing it.

Moff Chumley
2010-04-18, 10:31 PM
RAW groups that prevent awesome things from happening bug me... :smallannoyed:

Excession
2010-04-18, 11:13 PM
The loss of proficiency bonus alone would put me off of it. I think you'd be better off using a different strategy. If you can't afford Quick Draw to switch weapons, perhaps the Knifethrower's Gloves (quick draw for thrown daggers only), Bracers of Infinite Blades (saves using actions to sheath a dagger after throwing it), or Deep Pocket Cloak (1/round free-action draw or stow) items could help. Remember that you can still use daggers with their juicy +3 proficiency for Str-based ranged weapon attacks.

I don't actually feel that the damage (1d8) and range (10) are low when compared to heavy thrown weapons. A Javelin for example is +2, 1d6, range 10/20, and the military heavy thrown weapons aren't any better.

Building a proper ranged weapon into a shield would be neat. The Drow to the left would have used one for sure. But the Throwing Shield doesn't seem quite right.

Thajocoth
2010-04-18, 11:20 PM
Based on the power it gives, I would allow it as a Military Ranged (not thrown) +2 prof weapon with a damage die of 1d8 and range of 10 (no long range). I would allow it to be a target of Versatile Expertise.

By RAW, this is not the case... But there's the unwritten rule of awesome. Hopefully you can convince your DM to allow it on the grounds of being awesome, Captain.

Mando Knight
2010-04-19, 12:23 AM
Based on the power it gives, I would allow it as a Military Ranged (not thrown) +2 prof weapon with a damage die of 1d8 and range of 10 (no long range). I would allow it to be a target of Versatile Expertise.

By RAW, this is not the case... But there's the unwritten rule of awesome. Hopefully you can convince your DM to allow it on the grounds of being awesome, Captain.

It is thrown, though, and the Shuriken is also a throw-only ranged weapon.

Badgerish
2010-04-19, 06:09 AM
technically it's not a heavy thrown weapon, it's an item with a power that involves throwing it.

It would not overpower the item to count as a weapon (there is a magic helm that acts a decent unarmed weapon, but I can't get the name right now. Goring/Tusked helm/mask?). If there are concerns about it being overpowered, add 1 to the item level, so it costs more.

Thajocoth
2010-04-19, 04:06 PM
It is thrown, though, and the Shuriken is also a throw-only ranged weapon.

Right, like the Shiruken. You technically throw it, but it's in the "ranged" section.

Mando Knight
2010-04-19, 04:31 PM
Right, like the Shiruken. You technically throw it, but it's in the "ranged" section.

And has the "x thrown" keyword. The shuriken is a superior ranged weapon with the Light Thrown property.