PDA

View Full Version : How would you create a transforming weapon?

iamstillwater
2010-04-18, 09:16 PM
Hi folks,

In the thing I'm writing which I'm trying to turn into a campaign, I was thinking of creating a staff that houses a soul inside it and basically allows for it to change into that soul's preferred weapon in life when the wielder wishes.

How would I play transforming weapons in roleplaying terms?

Mushroom Ninja
2010-04-18, 09:20 PM
How would I play transforming weapons in roleplaying terms?

I'm quite sure what you mean by "in roleplaying terms", but if you're just looking for a weapon that changes form, seek ye a "morphing" weapon.

iamstillwater
2010-04-18, 09:21 PM
Oh, I meant, roleplaying a weapon that is both a morphing weapon and is sentient. Does it need to speak?

Alsol... where do I find morphing weapon info?

Mushroom Ninja
2010-04-18, 09:24 PM
Alsol... where do I find morphing weapon info?

Forgotten Realms: Underdark maybe? Honestly, I'm not quite sure.

Arcane-surge
2010-04-18, 11:45 PM
Magic Item Compendium. A +1 Changeling Morphing Spear can become just about any weapon in the game.

AslanCross
2010-04-18, 11:55 PM
Morphing Weapons only transform into weapons of the same type. A morphing dagger can only transform into light weapons. A one-handed weapon like a longsword can only transform into a mace, morningstar, or other one-handed, etc.

Since you're trying to make an artifact, it's actually fine to ignore item creation rules. Artifacts are one-of items that don't follow magic item conventions and can't be crafted or store-bought.