PDA

View Full Version : Making a Wall of Hurt

Angry Bob
2010-04-18, 09:25 PM
So, I'm playing a game this summer. I want to play a character that can seriously mess up anyone that comes near him. We're starting at level 1(so nothing with an LA), and I don't expect the game to last past about level 10.

So, obviously, I obviously need combat reflexes and a reach weapon, but what AoO feats and abilities are the best? I'm thinking something to extend reach further(Inhuman Reach from LoM) and presumably levels of Crusader if not straight Crusader for Thicket of Blades, and of course, it's Tome of Battle.

Psionics are discouraged but not forbidden, the only other restrictions are WoTC materials only.

Mushroom Ninja
2010-04-18, 09:32 PM
You'll probably want a Spiked chain, Improved Trip, and Stand Still (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#standStill).

I'd probably go something like Human Fighter 2/Crusader 4+ for classes.

For feats, I'd probably do:
1st Level: EWP Spiked Chain
Fighter 1: Combat Expertise
Human: Improved Trip
Fighter 2: Combat Reflexes
3rd Level: Stand Still
6th Level: Power Attack

EpicEvokerElf
2010-04-18, 09:48 PM
Knockdown (SRD) is also nice - free trip if you hit for 10 or more damage. Combine with Power Attack or just a flaming/frost/whatever weapon (or a Large chain with Strongarm Bracers [MIC]) to make sure you make it.

Mushroom Ninja
2010-04-18, 10:21 PM
More thoughts:
You'll want to get access to Enlarge Person ASAP. If you've got casters in the party, you'll be set. If not, you can either a) use potions, b) dip a level of cleric for access to the strength domain (which gives you Enlarge Person) and then use a wand, or c) dip at least 2 levels of Psychic Warrior for Expansion.

If you go with PsiWar, I'd recommend sticking with it for at least 4 levels.

As stated above, Knockdown is awesome (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineAbilitiesFeats.htm#knockDown). If it's allowed, I'd probably choose it over Stand Still.

Seffbasilisk
2010-04-18, 10:29 PM
Incarnum has a nice cloak that drops d6's of fire damage on folks who strike you scaling with the essentia invested.

If Psionics ARE a presence, despite discouragement, and your wisdom is decent, take a look at Psionic Hole. Thwack'm, and they lose their focus.

amanamana
2010-04-18, 10:35 PM
When I saw the title, I thought you would research a spell named "Wall of Hurt"...

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-04-18, 10:38 PM
Crusader has a Stance tailor made for this... it's called Thicket of Blades. You move, you provoke AoO. Yes, even 5' steps. Unless you have at least 5 ranks in tumble, which will still completely negate the build concept...

I just wish there was a way to combat the Tumble Check to Avoid AoO...

herrhauptmann
2010-04-18, 10:53 PM
I just wish there was a way to combat the Tumble Check to Avoid AoO...
SInce the tumble check is a flat DC, it gets easier as you gain levels. Quickly should be impossible to fail.
So how about a method of making difficult terrain? It doesn't stop the tumble to avoid the AoO, but it does make it more difficult to tumble.

jokey665
2010-04-18, 10:55 PM
SInce the tumble check is a flat DC, it gets easier as you gain levels. Quickly should be impossible to fail.
So how about a method of making difficult terrain? It doesn't stop the tumble to avoid the AoO, but it does make it more difficult to tumble.

3 levels of Knight makes your entire threatened radius difficult terrain for your enemies.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-04-19, 01:43 AM

Yea, but even that gets trivial pathetically easy. DC 15 for tumble check, then a +5 for difficult terrain is only DC 20. That's the same DC that certain builds hit regularly with cross class ranks in UMD for using wands.

And there is absolutely NO way to stop Tumble checks from provoking AoO. Wish there was some feat or feat chain or something that would let you contest his Tumble with your <whatever> to be able to prevent it. Maybe it even eats up your AoO in the process.

Person_Man
2010-04-19, 10:11 AM
Options:

Incarnate: DR 4/magic and 2d6 retributive fire damage at 1st level. A very solid defense/utility class.
Totemist: 5 extra natural weapons at 2nd level. This class is mostly about offense and mobility.
Binder: With the Improved Binder feat you can bind Dahlver-Nar at 1st level. This gives you Immunity to Wis damage, madness, insanity, and confusion. Shield Self (One enemy gets 50% of your damage, Will negates). Maddening Moan (30 ft, Will Save or Daze for 1 round, effects all creatures, mind effecting). And a Natural Armor bonus = 1/2 your Con bonus. This is one of the most convoluted classes, but rewarding if you know what you're doing.
Crusader: Steely Resolve, Stone Power, Martial Spirit, etc. Probably the most straitforward tank class.
Knight (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109429): The king of aggro - though his awesomeness doesn't kick in until level 4 though.
Whatever 2/Hexblade 4/Blackguard 4 is pretty much 95% immune to anything that allows a Save, can easily impose a -4 penalty on enemies, has Mettle, Sneak Attack (for Staggering Strike), and Rebuke Undead (for Domain feats).

Once you pick a class or build, we can then worry about the best combos (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127026) to choose from.

Animefunkmaster
2010-04-19, 12:05 PM
Here is a starting point, it would be best to use goliath or half giant, but with the LA, you will need to permanency enlarge person (or ask your dm if you can take a feat, knockBACK that only functions while enlarged).

Wall+hurt (Mix and match early progression, as presented is pretty good for early rage. Your progression could start with exoticist fighter 1 to pick up your exotic weapons early or the rage/hd of barbarian... o)

Human:
Wolf Totem Barbarian* 2/Psywarrior2/Exoticist Fighter2/Crusader2/Warmind 2+
*Optional: if the dm allows mixing barbarian variants, lion spiritual totem is also good. Also you can turn in your rage for a variant similar to ranger, and get the archery combat style... not amazing but might be more useful than a single rage its your option

Stats: MAD, a mix of str dex and wisdom... con helps too.

Feats:
Human: Combat Reflexes
1: Power Attack
Barb2: Improved Trip*
psywar1: Improved Bull Rush
3: Stand Still (can't trip/push them all)
psywar2:FREE
ftr1:Knock Back**
ftr2:ShockTrooper
6: FREE
9: FREE

*Note: we do not need prereqs
**Note the large prereq. I would lie cheat and steal to get an enlarge person permanency at this point if possible. Also finagle the build to have expansion at this point and talk to the dm about allowing you to qualify only with expansion is on.
FREE Suggestions: Link Power (link a swift action power like adrenaline boost with expansion), Practiced Manifester (More power points and a higher ML is never a bad thing), Deft Opportunist (The idea here is making use of AoOs a +4 to hit helps but isn't required), Sickening Blow (I rather like this feat even if it is just for bludgeoning weapons, use a chain VS spiked chain, a small debuff is handy while you trip and push), Leap Attack (More damage on your power attack-Shock Trooper charge).

Exotic Weapon Prof:
(spiked optional) Chain (bread and butter)
Full Blade (enlarging this for charging/damage)
Sharkstooth Staff (This is just a fun weapon, but easily changed for a good ranged weapon)
Net (Also a fun weapon, I use them even without proficiencies, can be changed for a ranged weapon)

Stances: Thicket of Blades, Martial Spirit (improved trip gets more martial spirit return)

Maneuvers I like: crusader strike, douse flames, battle leaders charge, mountain hammer, tactical strike

Powers: Expansion ((others I like: Adrenaline boost or Burst for the aforementioned link power feat...Claws of the beast is handy... get it?)

Shock trooper has a lot of synergy with charging and knockback, use that to your highest advantage. you don't need to trip always and don't need to standstill always but having those options are good.

Edit: just forgot that psywarrior doesn't have full bab, which drops shock trooper to earliest level 7 (for bab prereq), warmind isn't essential but is a nice finisher and if you get to level 11 the warmind's ability to adjacent targets gets interesting... If you want shock trooper asap I would change out warmind into... I have no idea what else gives fighter bonus feats at first level and full bab):smallbiggrin: