PDA

View Full Version : What's the combination for a sore throat?

Mystic Muse
2010-04-18, 09:49 PM
There's a combination of some sort that people mention on here for sore throats. It's like cloves and honey boiled, you breathe in the fumes and then you drink it?

I has a bad sore throat. can somebody help?

John Cribati
2010-04-18, 09:52 PM
Honey and lemon in ginseng tea really helps.

Crimmy
2010-04-18, 09:56 PM
Honey and lemon in ginseng tea really helps.

Honey and Lemon is good enough. With Ginseng it's a lot more powerful (but still good). Make sure the honey is bee's honey (Because I know of some dudes who try it with maple syrup...)

Mystic Muse
2010-04-18, 09:56 PM
will green or Raspberry tea work instead? I don't think we have ginseng.

and according to Crimmy anything will help. good to know. thanks guys.

Kneenibble
2010-04-18, 10:10 PM
Honey and Lemon is good enough. With Ginseng it's a lot more powerful (but still good).

Besides -- Koreans, the archons of ginseng, take it regularly, but abstain from it while they're sick.

This recipe is really intense, but it will make you feel as if powerful devils are being defeated from your body.

Take 1 knob of ginger the size of your thumb, and cut it into thin slices.
Put it into three cups of water with a teaspoon of cayenne pepper and six cloves. Simmer that for half an hour, and then add a lemon's juice and two big spoonfuls of honey and drink it.

Relish the burn.

Mystic Muse
2010-04-18, 10:13 PM
Put it into three cups of water with a teaspoon of cayenne pepper and six cloves. Simmer that for half an hour, and then add a lemon's juice and two big spoonfuls of honey and drink it.

Relish the burn.

I'll keep this in mind for when I have fresh ginger. Whether I'll actually be able to drink it is another matter altogether.

Kneenibble
2010-04-18, 10:18 PM
Any 2 of the herbs do a decent job too. Besides its mucus-melting goodness, cayenne contains a lot of vitamin C, you know.

Moff Chumley
2010-04-18, 10:19 PM
Besides -- Koreans, the archons of ginseng, take it regularly, but abstain from it while they're sick.

This recipe is really intense, but it will make you feel as if powerful devils are being defeated from your body.

Relish the burn.

Br00tal. :smallwink:

John Cribati
2010-04-18, 10:24 PM
Fun-fact: Jamaican ginger is technically hot enough to classify as a pepper.

Crimmy
2010-04-18, 10:28 PM
Fun fact:
Eating some of my own recipe of taquitos (the ones I posted in that other thread) with my recipe for mexican salsa can help you overcome stuffed noses. However, it will degenerate your throat if it's sore.

So don't try it.
Better go with either Kneenibble's or my own ideas.

Mystic Muse
2010-04-18, 10:30 PM
Gah, tried Crimmy's idea with LOTS of honey. didn't work.:smallfrown: would using kiwi pear green tea mess it up somehow?

Crimmy
2010-04-18, 10:36 PM
Maybe.
The idea was mixing lemon and bee honey alone, without any kind of tea... It only works if it's indeed bee honey (watch out for that one...), otherwise, the basic sugar doesn't react to the lemon's acid, and the vitamins.

Alternatively, try liquorice tea. It's said to have sore throat healing properties of some sort (I dunno if it "heals" it, but it sure does calm it.). Lemon tea and chamomile tea will work as well, but will not do as well as liquorice.

Anuan
2010-04-19, 01:20 AM
Honey's the important factor; it's antiseptic and sooths the throat. Cinnamon will also help, as will the chemicals found in tea. Mixing those three plus cloves is useful.

Deathslayer7
2010-04-19, 04:31 PM
hot tea with honey always helped for me.

another thing my mom always makes me drink is boiled milk with some butter and crushed garlic in it. And adding a little bit of honey. Nasty concotion. Makes your breath smell for hours afterwards but its supposed to help.

Cyrano
2010-04-19, 04:47 PM
Always found the best was plain water, boiled, with at least a lemon's worth of juice and honey. So, yeah, just like suggested above, but not worrying about any of that "tea" nonsense. Just hot lemonade.

If you tried that (I'm not sure if you tried the honeylemon thing in tea or plain water) then my standard cure is exhausted, but you could conceivably try heated, honeyed milk. I personally find milk soothing, but that may not be the case for everyone, Iunno.

Assuming neither honey+lemon nor honey+milk works, then I personally believe you're screwed but you could always see if guzzling a few gallons of pulp-less orange juice along with a prayer to Vitamin C helps or hinders your throat. I've heard it's a placebo! BUT I DON'T WANNA RUIN IT.

Coidzor
2010-04-19, 04:49 PM
hot water, lotta lemon juice, and whiskey. Hot Toddy, IIRC.

Relish the burn.

I like this idea. Let's throw in some cinnamon and maybe some cumin and see what we get.

Oh yeah. One thing I was recommended for general sickness/sore throat is a soup of some kind, either chicken or tomato should work what with them being panaceas and all, with a lot of garlic, cayenne pepper, cumin, and some cinnamon added in to it.

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2010-04-19, 05:02 PM

As I was reading through, I was thinking "Hmm, the Hot Toddy has yet to be mentioned. Why, I am just the man to mention it."

One post too late. Blast.

Mystic Muse
2010-04-19, 05:10 PM

this might work.

in 4 years.:smalltongue:

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2010-04-19, 05:37 PM
You're 14? I imagined you older, for some reason.

Milskidasith
2010-04-19, 05:50 PM
Fun-fact: Jamaican ginger is technically hot enough to classify as a pepper.

There's a level of hotness required to be a pepper?

Then why are bell peppers peppers? They literally register a 0 on the.... whatever the hotness scale is, last I checked (a food network special years ago).

EDIT:

Legal drinking age is 21 in the US, so 17.

Mystic Muse
2010-04-19, 05:59 PM

Like Milkisadeth(or however you spell his name) said. Legal drinking age in the US is 21.

Milskidasith
2010-04-19, 06:03 PM
Like Milkisadeth(or however you spell his name) said. Legal drinking age in the US is 21.

Ctrl+c. It takes more effort to type the tagline saying you don't know how to spell it than it does to copy it.

Superglucose
2010-04-19, 06:04 PM
Hot tea with honey. Doesn't much matter the type, tbh, it all works.

thorgrim29
2010-04-19, 06:05 PM
Still, if they sell pot for medicinal purposes, you could probably get an ounce of rum from your parents for a sore throat. Incidentally, my recipe is a lemon's juice, boiling water, one or two teaspoons of honey and an once or so of rum.

Crimmy
2010-04-19, 07:50 PM
Hot tea with honey. Doesn't much matter the type of honey MATTERS, tbh, it all works.

Fix'd. He already said he took tea, and it didn't work. So busted.

EmeraldRose
2010-04-20, 05:23 PM
If you've already tried tea with honey and lemon, and you are too young for mulled wine (which I definitely recommend), you could try peppermint tea. Or just go for your favorite variety of throat lozenge or spray.

Also, you could look at treating whatever is causing the sore throat, ie. cold, nasal drainage, allergies, etc.

Talk to your pharmacist. They could have some good ideas.

Cleverdan22
2010-04-20, 05:45 PM
Tea with honey is the typical cure to turn to, but I always found hot apple cider extremely helpful, as well.

Dragero
2010-04-20, 06:10 PM
I gurgle salt water.

Yucky, yet effective.

Tirian
2010-04-20, 06:23 PM
The one thing that's yuckier than gargling with salt water is pouring it into one nostril and having it drain out the other, but that's what a neti pot is and I swear it does magic in clearing the mucus from your sinuses. Allergy season is such a non-issue for me this year without any medication at all.

Tea and honey would have been my advice as well, of course. What's the cough drop that everyone loves: Fisherman's Friend?

Anyway, the other other sanity check to keep in mind is that if your cough hasn't gone away after ten days then you have to go to the doctor because probably by then it's become bronchitis and you'll need antibiotics. The other good part is that doctors can also give you the awesome cough suppressant with codeine that completely knocks it for a loop (and maybe you too, since it's an opiate, but I'm part of the unhappy minority that doesn't get the fun bonus ride from it).

Cleverdan22
2010-04-20, 06:27 PM
The one thing that's yuckier than gargling with salt water is pouring it into one nostril and having it drain out the other, but that's what a neti pot is and I swear it does magic in clearing the mucus from your sinuses. Allergy season is such a non-issue for me this year without any medication at all.

Oh yeah, I've done that before. It's freaky as all get-out but it works pretty darn well.

EmeraldRose
2010-04-20, 06:33 PM

Tea and honey would have been my advice as well, of course. What's the cough drop that everyone loves: Fisherman's Friend?

Anyway, the other other sanity check to keep in mind is that if your cough hasn't gone away after ten days then you have to go to the doctor because probably by then it's become bronchitis and you'll need antibiotics. The other good part is that doctors can also give you the awesome cough suppressant with codeine that completely knocks it for a loop (and maybe you too, since it's an opiate, but I'm part of the unhappy minority that doesn't get the fun bonus ride from it).

Actually, I've had a cough greater than 30 days now, and my doctor is thinking it's just a cough. Apparently, you can have a cough forever, and it is not necessarily bronchitis.

However, I'll agree robitussin with codeine is very very awesome when you have a cough that you just can't kick!

Knaight
2010-04-20, 06:33 PM
I like the placebo effect personally.

Kneenibble
2010-04-20, 06:38 PM
I second your approbation of the neti pot! They feel sooo good and their power is magical.

What you watch for is snot that is unmistakably green. Then you know it's bronchitis.

dogmac
2010-04-20, 07:26 PM
Hmm.. the one I do is this

In a cup, put

- 1 clove garlic,crushed
- 1 red chilli pepper, chopped finely (remembering not to rub your eyes afterwards)
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, finely grated
- 1 Tsp honey
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice.

Fill with boiling water, stir and drink as soon as you can, making sure you drink all the bits.

it actually tastes really nice, like a light Thai soup or something.