PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Epic Spell - Antimagic field you can cast in?

Scorpions__
2010-04-18, 10:14 PM
I know of Invoke Magic, I'm talking about a very epic (30+) spellcaster (NPC) crafting an epic spell that creates an anti-magic field that effects everyone but themself.

What would the Spellcraft DC for something like this be?

DM[F]R

tyckspoon
2010-04-18, 10:25 PM
It would really be simpler and more sensible for him to research a standard 9th level (maybe 10th level, if you want it unavailable to non-Epic characters) spell that does that. If you really insist on doing it with the Epic system, it would be built out of the Ward seed. The base DC, before ad-hocing in factors for 'moves with caster' and 'doesn't restrict caster's spells' would be 174 (base 14 + 8x20 for spell levels 2-9; 194 if you want to cover 10th level for Epic Spells as well.) Good luck with that.

FlamingKobold
2010-04-18, 10:32 PM
Just make it arbitrarily high and then add enough spell slots from other casters/casting time to bring it to 0 (or one, or whatever) and chaingate solars.

Assuming you want to be sensible, allowing yourself to cast spells in it I'd ad hoc at +40 or +50. Remember you want a permanent duration, or at least a really long one. (I cant recall the duration on the ward seed and I'm AFB)

arguskos
2010-04-18, 10:42 PM
Isn't there a way to do this with Extraordinary Spell Aim and AMF? I recall that as a big wizard optimization trick.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-04-18, 10:43 PM
There's a feat called Extraordinary Spell Aim in Complete Adventurer which can be taken at level 12 which does exactly that. A level 12 character can cast an Antimagic Field which affects everyone but himself. Note that the spell simply does not affect that character, so other creatures standing in his space would still be affected by it.

Although, according to the Rules Compendium, AMF doesn't block Line of Effect for spells, so creatures outside the AMF could target that caster unimpeded. Your best chance would be to make the AMF arbitrarily large, so that anyone close enough to target him with a spell would be standing within it.

When you get to that level you may as well grab three levels of (Cloistered) Cleric and take Initiate of Mystra (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Initiate_of_Mystra) so you won't even need to worry about such things.

Edit: It also apparently won't protect you from ninjas.

Also keep in mind that anyone standing within your AMF who has Iron Heart Surge readied will automatically end the effect, regardless of how powerful it is.

PhoenixRivers
2010-04-18, 11:31 PM
There's a feat called Extraordinary Spell Aim in Complete Adventurer which can be taken at level 12 which does exactly that. A level 12 character can cast an Antimagic Field which affects everyone but himself. Note that the spell simply does not affect that character, so other creatures standing in his space would still be affected by it.

Although, according to the Rules Compendium, AMF doesn't block Line of Effect for spells, so creatures outside the AMF could target that caster unimpeded. Your best chance would be to make the AMF arbitrarily large, so that anyone close enough to target him with a spell would be standing within it.

When you get to that level you may as well grab three levels of (Cloistered) Cleric and take Initiate of Mystra (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Initiate_of_Mystra) so you won't even need to worry about such things.

Edit: It also apparently won't protect you from ninjas.

Also keep in mind that anyone standing within your AMF who has Iron Heart Surge readied will automatically end the effect, regardless of how powerful it is.

I believe the specific request is: Suppresses all spellcasting and magic effects within the area, unless they come from the caster. The caster is still affected by the field; however, his spells are not suppressed, and gear he wears is not suppressed.

If the caster were to benefit from another's spell (such as mage armor) and then erect the Epic AMF, that mage armor would be suppressed, because he did not cast it.

In other words, the caster's protected by the AMF, but not inhibited by it.

Scorpions__
2010-04-19, 09:12 AM
I believe the specific request is: Suppresses all spellcasting and magic effects within the area, unless they come from the caster. The caster is still affected by the field; however, his spells are not suppressed, and gear he wears is not suppressed.

If the caster were to benefit from another's spell (such as mage armor) and then erect the Epic AMF, that mage armor would be suppressed, because he did not cast it.

In other words, the caster's protected by the AMF, but not inhibited by it.

Yes, this is what I was asking for, the suggestion about making it a 10th-level spell seemed reasonable, but would this be hard to do epically? To clarify, I don't want it to be a permanent effect on the caster, but something they can cast when they need it, if it must be a buff before battle than that would be fine too.

DM[F]R

SilverStar
2010-04-19, 09:14 AM
A third party book, Plot & Poison, has feats for this.

They negate all sorts of things.