PDA

View Full Version : The Spells are Back

The Neoclassic
2010-04-18, 10:35 PM
I haven't been posting here for months. Those of you who remember me may recall that I've been pretty enthusiastic about spells, particularly ones for my homebrew setting of Vere. Well, I've finally been hit with inspiration again, and I'd love some constructive feedback for some more of my spells!

Harm Animal
Evocation
Level: Sor/Wiz 0
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Effect: Ray
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes
You direct a ray of force. You must make a ranged touch attack to hit, and if the ray hits an animal, it deals 1d6 points of damage to it. This spell only harms creatures with the animal type and doesn’t affect magical beasts.
Context: While this spell has some use for low-level mages in areas with vicious, dangerous, or diseased animal populations, it finds most of its use amongst evil students and apprentices.

Conjure Meat Pie
Conjuration (Creation)
Level: Clr 0, Sor/Wiz 0
Casting Time: 1 minute
Effect: One meat pie
Duration: See below
Spell Resistance: No
This spell creates a meat pie or similar meat-focused dish. It's enough food for one meal for a human. The value of the meat pie summoned cannot be worth more than 2 sp, and it is not enough to feed more than one person. After one hour, the meat pie spoils and becomes inedible if it hasn't yet been consumed.

Melancholy
Enchantment (Compulsion) [Mind-Affecting]
Level: Clr 5
Components: S, DF
Target: One humanoid creature
Duration: One hour/level
Saving Throw: Will negates (see below)
You strike one creature with severe melancholy. He or she takes a -4 penalty on all saves and suffers -2 to Wisdom and -4 to Charisma for the duration of the spell To make an ability check, skill check, or attack roll, or to cast a spell, he or she must make another Will save. If it's successful, he or she can act as planned. If not, he or she automatically misses and suffers a -1 penalty on his next Will save to make such a check or roll. This penalty is cumulative until he or she succeeds the Will save, as his or her self-doubt and sadness builds every time he or she fails.
This spell can be dispelled by break enchantment.

Misery
Necromancy [Mind-Affecting]
Level: Clr 7
Components: V, S, DF
Range: Touch
Target: Creature touched
Duration: Permanent
Saving Throw: Will negates
You strike one creature with crushing misery and remove his or her will to live, prosper, and enjoy life. He or she loses all will to live and becomes catatonic, unwilling to move on his or her own. It takes a Diplomacy check (DC 30) to convince a creature affected by misery to eat, drink, or perform other simple, necessary functions. The check can only be attempted once an hour. The creature can fall asleep and wake up naturally, but cannot be persuaded to enter combat, read, cast spells, or perform anything other than the most basic acts necessary for survival. The creature automatically fails all future Will saves and takes a -6 penalty to Fortitude and Reflex saves.
The creature refuses to speak; under the influence of misery, he or she is entirely consumed by depressing thoughts and a dissatisfaction with everything. Without successful coaxing to eat and drink, he or she will eventually die of dehydration or starvation. The creature is helpless against attack and will not even defend him or herself.
This spell can only be dispelled with greater restoration or miracle. Casting resurrection on a creature affected by misery is also effective, as it fully restores the creature's soul and sense of self.
Context: This spell is not widely known or used; it originates amongst the clergy of Brenyx, goddess of sadness.

Summon Festering Bramblewood Bush
Conjuration (Creation)
Level: Drd 1
Effect: One festering bramblewood bush
Duration: One hour
Saving Throw: See below
You create a 5' by 5' patch of festering bramblewood. Any individual walking through it must make a Reflex save or take 2d4 damage. One can run or charge through the bush, but doing so deals 2d4 damage with no opportunity for a save.

FlamingKobold
2010-04-18, 11:18 PM
I think the festering bramblewood brush should be permanency-able. Because that would be awesome and flavorful for a crazy druid.

The Neoclassic
2010-04-19, 12:13 AM
Alternate Skin
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 4
Components: V, S, M
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 hour/level (D)
You choose an alternative humanoid form which you can switch back and forth with for the duration of the spell. You can choose any humanoid race you are personally acquainted with. You choose the details of your appearance, but they must be relatively normal for that race. You gain all of that race's traits whenever you are in your alternative form, including ability bonuses and penalties, darkvision, and skill bonuses, while losing all of your race's racial traits. Regardless of any change in Constitution score, however, you do not gain or lose hitpoints from switching forms.
Switching to or from your alternative form takes one round, but you can do it as many times as you like for the duration of the spell. However, you only have one alternative form; its appearance remains constant every time you switch into it. Minor injuries such as scrapes and mild bruises acquired in one form don't transfer to the other, though the hp damage remains, but major injuries, such as severed limbs or severe cuts, gained in one form are visible in the other as well.
Material Component: A lock of hair from another humanoid race.
Note: This may seem less powerful than alter self and polymorph, but those spells are fairly overpowered and hence modified, more balanced versions are used in my setting.

Tranquility
Enchantment (Compulsion) [Mind-Affecting]
Level: Brd 6, Clr 6
Components: V, S, DF
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Area: Creatures in a 20-ft.-radius spread
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 round/level (D)
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes
This spell automatically dispels any morale bonuses granted by spells such as bless, good hope, and rage, as well as negating a bard’s ability to inspire courage or a barbarian’s rage ability. It also dispells any fear effects and removes the confused condition from all targets. All illusion and enchantment spells of fourth level or lower are automatically dispelled by tranquility; magic items may make a saving throw. Tranquility also suppresses, but does not dispell, dominate person, persistent image, and seeming.
While the spell lasts, all creatures within the spell's area lose the will to fight or act violently, becoming neutral towards all other creatures in the spell's area. Any harm caused to them ends this effect, but the above dispelling remains.

I think the festering bramblewood brush should be permanency-able. Because that would be awesome and flavorful for a crazy druid.

Absolutely! It would certainly make sense. Should I mention that it can be made permanent in the spell description?