PDA

View Full Version : A "simple" "unsucky" Monk? (PF+3.5e)

Mongoose87
2010-04-18, 11:20 PM
I think I have come up with a way to make a Monk that is relatively decent at its concept role: skirmisher with many attacks. Tell me what you think.

The first thing that this hinges on is my having correctly interpreted the Pathfinder concept of CR. In Pathfinder, a monstrous race has a base ECL of its CR.

The monstrous race in question, today, is the centaur. No longer is it a stinking ECL of 6. Now, it provides 4HD for a CR of 3. Pretty sweet, is it?

We then apply the Feral from Savage Species to the centaur. We now had a character with an ECL of 4, full BaB for 4 monstrous HD, with good Will and Reflex saves, bonuses to all our stats but Int and, the best part, pounce. Without sacrificing a single level to LA, or the like, we've built a chassis upon which Monk levels can be stacked, allowing the Monk to make use of its two main class features: flurry of blows and increased speed. Furthermore, we have four levels of a higher HD (d10), enough levels of full BaB to get our fourth iterative, and a buttload of stat increases to help reduce our MAD.

The Glyphstone
2010-04-18, 11:24 PM
We then apply the Feral from Savage Species to the centaur.

Thank you, ladies, gentlemen, and hideous abberations from beyond time and space, and good night.:smallbiggrin:

Didn't Pathfinder also make the Monk less sucky anyways?

Eldariel
2010-04-18, 11:25 PM
Pounce is a one-way street; part of the appeal of the huge movement speed is being able to kick peoples' face in and avoid counterattacks entirely. It helps in approaching, but not leaving. Also, it's still limited with Charge movement; rarely do you not have enough movement to close in on an opponent not behind some manner of obstacle. What you really want is immediate action movement to cover both. Bounding Assault [maneuver] plus Pounce is quite good. Travel Devotion is excellent. Combine that with Sphinx Claws and you have a rather versatile offense.

Though since you picked Travel Devotion, might as well pick Cleric and go Sacred Fist and rock the divine casting to 7th heaven. So...yeah. It's a decent idea, but I don't think it's an actual solution. Besides, simple Monk fixes already exist in Sacred Fist, Tashalatora Psy War/Ardent/Psion (with Genius), Unarmed Swordsage and Enlightened Fist depending on exactly what you want.

Mongoose87
2010-04-18, 11:26 PM
Didn't Pathfinder also make the Monk less sucky anyways?

It would've been hard to make it worse.

The Glyphstone
2010-04-18, 11:27 PM
It would've been hard to make it worse.

CW Samurai? Truenamer?

Mongoose87
2010-04-18, 11:32 PM
CW Samurai? Truenamer?

Well, yeah, sure, if you want to completely change the class.

Rainbownaga
2010-04-19, 12:10 AM
CW Samurai? Truenamer?

Monk is better than Samurai? Good to know that the monk's abilities are at least worth the larger hit dice, full BAB, heavy armor, and decent weapon proficiencies.

absolmorph
2010-04-19, 12:21 AM
Monk is better than Samurai? Good to know that the monk's abilities are at least worth the larger hit dice, full BAB, heavy armor, and decent weapon proficiencies.
The monk has class features.
And it doesn't basically say "use a short sword and bastard sword and TWF."

JonestheSpy
2010-04-19, 01:00 AM
I've got a much easier way: full BAB, AC bonus that increases starting at level 3 and goes up every 3 levels after, and allow flurry as a standard action. There goes most of your problems right there.

Oh, and I'd probably allow Combat Expertise as a bonus feat without needing the 13 Int.

Mongoose87
2010-04-19, 01:05 AM
I've got a much easier way: full BAB, AC bonus that increases starting at level 3 and goes up every 3 levels after, and allow flurry as a standard action. There goes most of your problems right there.

Oh, and I'd probably allow Combat Expertise as a bonus feat without needing the 13 Int.

This is more of a build than a houserule.

Sinfire Titan
2010-04-19, 12:07 PM
CW Samurai? Truenamer?

The thing is, the Monk/Truenamer PrC in ToM is actually a step up from Monk and Truenamer. Not enough to boost it a Tier, but enough that it will be able to contribute more often than pure Monk 20.

Cogidubnus
2010-04-19, 12:14 PM
At any rate, this seems to work. I've avoided Monks like the plague (because they suck XD) so I don't know that much about them, but still. Also, your DM could have a lot of fun with a centaur Monk. Donkey-kicks to the face, rearing attacks to finish off your flurry of blows. Would make some good combat description.

Akal Saris
2010-04-19, 05:07 PM

Yeah, I think this would probably let the monk actually work as a mobile skirmisher. And it removes the need for PF to treat levels of monk as full BAB for combat maneuvers.

But yes, I think the feral centaur monk for PF looks like a good build. Bonus points if you can swing 2x damage charges with your hoof/fists from Spirited Charge :P

Zeful
2010-04-19, 05:16 PM

I'd go: Full-bab. Monks get to-hit, damage, and AC bonuses from Wis (with AC being the first level ability, To-hit being a 3rd-4th, and damage being 5th). At 6th level they may make a full attack as a standard action once per-encounter with additional uses per-encounter every 3 levels thereafter (capstone turning it to At-will).

taltamir
2010-04-19, 05:22 PM
The thing is, the Monk/Truenamer PrC in ToM is actually a step up from Monk and Truenamer. Not enough to boost it a Tier, but enough that it will be able to contribute more often than pure Monk 20.

at level 20, the monk gains the outsider template. making it possible to summon and compel it using the planer binding spells, gate, etc..

Level 20 monks are extremely rare as they are normally too weak to survive that long. Those that do get summoned and bound to serve as an exotic display in a zoo/carnival/circus/whatever.