PDA

View Full Version : Help on an Archivist build needed

Trekkin
2010-04-19, 12:03 AM
In an earlier thread, I asked after which classes could be best used to represent a character totally devoted to the gathering and dissemination of knowledge, and from that I have determined to create an archivist. Unfortunately, I find myself choosing from an immense list of spells, and I'm not used to Vancian casters. Thus, I ask the Playground:

What race and spell loadout would you use for a sixth-level Archivist, 32 point buy, with fifth-level WBL devoted totally to gaining and disseminating knowledge, particularly written knowledge?

Any help would be wonderful.

Escheton
2010-04-19, 07:56 AM
there is a 1st level cleric spell that lets you read a book in 6 seconds.
I think it might be from "races of "humans, halves and glowy word head people""

iamstillwater
2010-04-19, 07:59 AM
Not really well-versed in RPG lore yet, but the first thing that went into my head was to give him skillpoints in Craft (Printing Press) so he can do a Gutenberg and print out written tracts of knowledge.

Of course, you'd also need to teach people how to read common. :)

AdalKar
2010-04-19, 08:44 AM
there is a 1st level cleric spell that lets you read a book in 6 seconds.
I think it might be from "races of "humans, halves and glowy word head people""

There is indeed. It's the spell scholar's touch. You can "read" one book/round for 1 round/CL. You touch it and you gain the knowledge as if you had done "a solid reading but not deep study". Maybe the DM lets you touch one book several times to get a better recalling or so.

Optimystik
2010-04-19, 09:08 AM
One of the best races for an Archivist is the Illumian. Aside from the thematic synergy, they can switch their bonus spells from Wisdom to Dexterity, allowing you to dump Wis entirely in favor of a stat with many more benefits. Just pick Uurkrau as your Word.

And of course, they are the "glowy-word-head-people" previously mentioned :smalltongue:

~LuckyBoneDice~
2010-04-19, 11:31 AM
My fave:

Race: Illumian (Krau or the one mentioned above)
Class: Archivist 9/Contemplative 1/Walker in the Waste 10

Yes, you are undead @ 20th level, and you can cast nearly every spell as it is, but "you wanted to eternally pursue knowledge, so you became an immortal so you can do so for eternity." and besides, Dry Lich is awesome...

Optimystik
2010-04-19, 11:49 AM
Race: Illumian (Krau or the one mentioned above)

If by "the one mentioned above" you meant mine, that is indeed a Krau illumian. All I did was offer a decent choice for the second sigil. :smallsmile:

Really you can combine any of the words with Krau for a casting Illumian. Uur just happens to provide very nice benefits - +1 untyped to Initiative, for instance. Wisdom isn't as useful to Archivists because they already get strong Will saves, as well as Still Mind. Naenkrau is also useful - Dark Knowledge is an Int-based check, thus it will get the bonus, and you have plenty of spell slots so you can use the "+1 to DC by leaving slots empty" ability if you want.

Kosjsjach
2010-04-19, 12:16 PM
While I agree with the Illumian choice, unless you're multiclassing, the "Krau" sigil really doesn't benefit you unless it's part of a specific Word.
A sweet sigil for a knowledge-centered Illumian is "Naen", as it gives you a bonus on all Int checks and skill checks.

Also of note for you would be the Lore of the Gods spell from Complete Champion. Sweet bonuses to Knowledge checks. Oh, and secret page from the Rune domain for free spell scribing. :smallsmile:

I've said it before, but I have a "Naenkrau" Illumian Archivist 1/ Wizard 2/ Mystic Theurge 3 statted out (with nowhere to go) and he's pretty loaded. The "Improved Sigil (Krau)" feat, when applied properly, allows early entry to the prestige class; since Archivists already get Scribe Scroll for free, you can swap out the Wizard's bonus feat for a Fighter feat (using the UA variant); his CL for both sets of spells are equal to his character level (thanks to the Krau sigil); both lists of spells key off Int; and to top it off, the "Naenkrau" word lets him leave one empty slot in 2 levels of spells (regardless of which list) and all other spells of those levels are cast as if one level higher.
And he's got an owl.

For a knowledge-centric build, you can't go wrong with straight Archivist (or at the very least up to 11th level for dread secret)... but you won't find a better race/class combo for actually making a Mystic Theurge work.

~LuckyBoneDice~
2010-04-19, 12:39 PM
While I agree with the Illumian choice, unless you're multiclassing, the "Krau" sigil really doesn't benefit you unless it's part of a specific Word.
A sweet sigil for a knowledge-centered Illumian is "Naen", as it gives you a bonus on all Int checks and skill checks.

Also of note for you would be the Lore of the Gods spell from Complete Champion. Sweet bonuses to Knowledge checks. Oh, and secret page from the Rune domain for free spell scribing. :smallsmile:

I've said it before, but I have a "Naenkrau" Illumian Archivist 1/ Wizard 2/ Mystic Theurge 3 statted out (with nowhere to go) and he's pretty loaded. The "Improved Sigil (Krau)" feat, when applied properly, allows early entry to the prestige class; since Archivists already get Scribe Scroll for free, you can swap out the Wizard's bonus feat for a Fighter feat (using the UA variant); his CL for both sets of spells are equal to his character level (thanks to the Krau sigil); both lists of spells key off Int; and to top it off, the "Naenkrau" word lets him leave one empty slot in 2 levels of spells (regardless of which list) and all other spells of those levels are cast as if one level higher.
And he's got an owl.

For a knowledge-centric build, you can't go wrong with straight Archivist (or at the very least up to 11th level for dread secret)... but you won't find a better race/class combo for actually making a Mystic Theurge work.

I adore my combo personally. and Naen+whatever is great, especially for my "Ancient Bookworm" build

Trekkin
2010-04-19, 12:56 PM
How is adding new spells to the prayerbook during character generation handled generally? I realize it varies by dm, but do most simply allow you to pay, say, starting gold for a scoll of it and then the gold to scribe it into your prayerbook?

Darn, but after playing an atheist character (I like the tension generated around clerics) it's weird to say "prayerbook".

Optimystik
2010-04-19, 01:03 PM

Odd that you'd conclude this when you later mention the "Improved Sigil: Krau" feat; free Heighten Spell on a couple of your (floating) favorite spells - you need to be a Krau illumian to benefit. It will also allow your Archivist early qualification to some PrCs, like theurges, if you wish.

I agree Naenkrau gives more benefit to Archivists than most other combinations, but Uurkrau is at least worth a look. Archivists are already MAD, so you might as well be MAD with two great stats instead of just one.

Darn, but after playing an atheist character (I like the tension generated around clerics) it's weird to say "prayerbook".

You can always go with the more generic "Libram."