PDA

View Full Version : Dream (Im)possibilities

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-04-19, 12:25 AM
Ok, I'm working on a PrC that combines psionics and tome of battle for a dream warrior. A fellow that you can do the impossible things you can do in dreams.

What I'm wanting from 'you' is what are things you can do? Wanting to turn them into stances and maneuvers.

For instance, I dream sometimes I can just rip up telephone poles and attack things with them...

For example:

Strength of Mind
Lucid Dreamer (Stance)
Level: Impossible Warrior 1
Initiation Action: 1 full round action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration Stance

You shed all disbelief of what you are and are not capable. You are capable of wielding impossible weights, though your strength does not actually improve. However, for the purpose of your carrying capacity you have a strength score equal to your Autohypnosis check. You may attack with the object and have it's reach, though it is considered an improvised weapons and you do not apply any strength modifiers.

You deal an amount of damage equal to the size of the object you are capable of lifting.

Large - 4d6
Huge - 6d6
Gargantuan - 8d6
Colossal - 10d6

Your opponent can attempted a Will save (DC = Autohypnosis check) for half damage if struck.

Vaynor
2010-04-19, 12:29 AM
I have a recurring dream where I'm being chased by a group of faceless strangers, and to fight them off I'm able to conjure various weapons out of thin air.

For some reason in the majority of my dreams, whenever I look at a different area from the one I'm currently in, instead of my vision moving to look at that spot my point of view changes to that spot.

I also tend to jump very high in my dreams, and never get hurt from falling.

I don't remember many of my dreams, so I'm afraid that's all I've got for you as far as powers go.

Serpentine
2010-04-19, 12:38 AM
Fly. But it's not like I just flap my arms and take off or anything like that. I have to get a massive run-up and sort of leap higher and higher until I get into the air, but even then if I start to realise I'm dreaming I have to concentrate hard to stay airborne.

Amiel
2010-04-19, 12:40 AM
I Have a Dream
Your belief in your dream and its existential actuality is so great that reality warps to your designs and whims.
You may manifest any object of your choosing, devise any course of action to suit your aim. Fate itself is decided and dictated by you.
This is exactly as the reality revision psionic power.
Use per day is calculated with the appropriate ability score.

It's probably way too powerful though...

arguskos
2010-04-19, 12:42 AM
Depends. In a non-lucid dream, I can do basically nothing I couldn't normally. In a lucid dream, well, I can do all sorts of stuff. Fly, teleport, conjure objects and energy from thin air, have social charms, meet Picard Steward, you know, cool stuff like that.

I had a dream recently that involved USS Enterprise-D, me as acting captain, and a batch of cookies that were made with Romulan Ale. That... was a strange one. I think I solved stuff by teleporting into space, and blocking the enemy phasers with my hands, Darth Vader-style.

Vaynor
2010-04-19, 12:45 AM
meet Picard Steward

Vorpal: this better be one of their maneuvers.

arguskos
2010-04-19, 12:46 AM
Agreed. :smallamused:

Amiel
2010-04-19, 12:49 AM
Similarly, you could possibly design something with the thematic of "Dream the Impossible Dream"

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-04-19, 12:52 AM

:smallbiggrin:

Make It So
Lucid Dreamer (Boost)
Level: Impossible Warrior 4
Initiation Action: 1 standard action
Duration: Concentration

You manifest from your psyche a being that symbolizes confidence and pride and take on their appearance, taking heart from your transformation. You gain a +10 bonus on your autohypnosis checks when performing an impossible maneuver.

Icewalker
2010-04-19, 12:52 AM
I had a dream recently that involved USS Enterprise-D, me as acting captain, and a batch of cookies that were made with Romulan Ale. That... was a strange one. I think I solved stuff by teleporting into space, and blocking the enemy phasers with my hands, Darth Vader-style.

So you were Q, then? :smalltongue:

Displacement might be a good idea to use, seems fitting. One other thing which I find in dreams, which could be taken advantage of for this, is who is paying attention to who. People will be ignoring a big thing they should be paying attention to, or, often, the dreamer is an observer who has no direct interactions and as such is not noticed by anyone in the dream.

arguskos
2010-04-19, 12:55 AM
:smallbiggrin:

Make It So
Lucid Dreamer (Boost)
Level: Impossible Warrior 4
Initiation Action: 4 full round action
Duration: Concentration

You manifest from your psyche a being that symbolizes confidence and pride and take on their appearance, taking heart from your transformation. You gain a +10 bonus on your autohypnosis checks when performing an impossible maneuver.
...FOUR full round actions?! That's... a long time. Like, wow. Also, this is always going to be either Sean Connery as James Bond or Patrick Stewart as Captain Jean-Luc Picard. ALWAYS. :smallcool:

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-04-19, 12:59 AM
...FOUR full round actions?! That's... a long time. Like, wow. Also, this is always going to be either Sean Connery as James Bond or Patrick Stewart as Captain Jean-Luc Picard. ALWAYS. :smallcool:
Whoops, I was just copying format. 1 standard action.

I'm waiting for the Chuck Norris quips...

Vaynor
2010-04-19, 01:21 AM
No, don't mention Chuck Norris. That would make this class way OP. "Sometimes I dream I'm Chuck Norris."

Dear g-d what have we done.

Tavar
2010-04-19, 01:28 AM
You know, this made me think of Exalted. Specifically, Sidereal Martial Arts (http://wiki.white-wolf.com/exalted/index.php?title=List_of_Sidereal_Martial_Arts_Styl es). Or Sidereal charms in general. I mean, one of them involves punching people into a duck(it makes sense in context, but still, punching poeple into ducks).

Temotei
2010-04-19, 01:33 AM
I dream of all sorts of things. How about an ability involving creating an escape raft and getting your big toe bitten off as a result?

Being placed in the Mario or Pokémon universes?

Destroying all your classmates (including best friends) despite not being angry, competitive, or violent?

...:smallcool:...:smalltongue:

Player_Zero
2010-04-19, 01:35 AM
This idea sounds incredibly overpowered without me reading further than the first sentence.

Tavar
2010-04-19, 01:38 AM
This idea sounds incredibly overpowered without me reading further than the first sentence.

Then perhaps you should read more, and get into the actual substance of what this is going to do.

Amiel
2010-04-19, 02:21 AM
I'm waiting for the Chuck Norris quips...

You have no idea what hath you have wrought...

I am Norris, Chuck Norris
You are Chuck Norris, you break reality. There is no save.

Diesel Vince
You now add moose to the list of Animals Who Have Fought You And Lost.
You add a +4 untyped bonus to Str. You benefit from a +4 bonus to Favoured Enemy (moose). You can also see in the dark, out to a distance of 60 ft., additionally, you are granted low-light vision. If you previously had low-light vision, you see four times as clearly. Finally, you receive a +1 bonus on all Knowledge skills.

THIS IS SPARTA!!!
Your legs bulge with thick and corded muscles. You gain a +10 untyped bonus to the Jump skill. Any increment distance of 10 feet allows you to hover as the feat.
Your voice deepens into a soronous projection, this can be used as a sonic attack dealing sonic damage as the shout spell.
Your beard becomes richer and more luxuriant, granting you a +2 natural armour bonus.

And Then He Was A Zombie
You were first a demon, then you were a zombie.
You benefit from both the outsider and undead types at the same time. Where the types confer the same immunity, they stack rather than overlap.

In my dreams, I am an impossibly strong and dexterous fighter, possibly allow your PrC to grant untyped or dream bonuses to weapon skills, attack rolls, damage rolls, actions within the round et al? It may be a bit bland? Possibly grant something along the lines of Tenser's transformation, only make it suck less.

Anuan
2010-04-19, 03:44 AM
Sometimes I dream I'm fighting someone. Or something, as they're often non-human. I can occasionally manifest a weapon of any sort and am basically amazing with it, but mostly I get a sort of special vision that allows me to see their skin and muscles as transluscent, allowing me to pinpoint nerves, pressure points, old injuries, vital organs, etc...to the effect of knowing exactly what to hit and how to disable or kill them.

Also, when the whole class is done, I request a copy of the class info. If ever I actually get to play a game, it sounds like an interesting class.

Eldan
2010-04-19, 03:52 AM
Well, a quite common effect in my dreams is that I just know the premises of that dream.

An example? Well, this is a really silly dream I had a few weeks ago, but okay.
Me and one of the cooks in the local mensa were looking for an artefact in the black forest. For some reason, we had to use a boat to get there, despite there being only a few small lakes in between.
Anyway. While digging through the forest, I see something blue flying by overhead. My first thought?
"Must be Superman looking for the same artefact. He really is into archeology these days, after all."
The dream was mostly about superman after that.

So, basically, you just know the most ridiculous things and are absolutely convinced that they are true.

Castaras
2010-04-19, 05:10 AM
Fly. But it's not like I just flap my arms and take off or anything like that. I have to get a massive run-up and sort of leap higher and higher until I get into the air, but even then if I start to realise I'm dreaming I have to concentrate hard to stay airborne.

This. Except I have to skip to fly, and if I stop skipping I fall.

ForzaFiori
2010-04-19, 07:15 AM
In all my fight scenes in dreams, I turn into Neo essentially. I get uber flexible, and blow people away with a punch (usually a moment or two AFTER I hit them)

Mauve Shirt
2010-04-19, 07:34 AM
I can run inhumanly fast in some of my dreams. And I have a magic ability to make enemies of supervillains who appear at family events.

waterpenguin43
2010-04-19, 08:04 AM
I had the ability to control something; Depending on what song I sung. For example, if I sung "Thunderstruck" I could cause I lightning storm.

Deth Muncher
2010-04-19, 08:17 AM
I sometimes have really absurd dreams, almost on the level of this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaCZN2N6Q_I). Please make this somehow a part of your stuff, because it's freaking great.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-04-19, 09:51 AM
I sometimes have really absurd dreams, almost on the level of this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaCZN2N6Q_I). Please make this somehow a part of your stuff, because it's freaking great.
What the friggin whosits?!

Zaggab
2010-04-19, 09:54 AM
This. Except I have to skip to fly, and if I stop skipping I fall.

We have exactly the same dream.

Tavar
2010-04-19, 10:27 AM

Well, it is weird, like some dreams, I guess. If you're on acid.:smallconfused:

megabyter5
2010-04-19, 10:54 AM
They need an ability that allows them to negate falling damage at the cost of temporarily losing all other class abilities (probably for about 1d4 rounds) because the fall makes them "wake up".

Deth Muncher
2010-04-19, 10:56 AM
They need an ability that allows them to negate falling damage at the cost of temporarily losing all other class abilities (probably for about 1d4 rounds) because the fall makes them "wake up".

I like that. Should be an Immediate Action to use, lose abilities for d4 rounds, maybe reduce to Poor BAB. Alternatively, Dazed/Stunned.

EDIT:

Face it. You know you want this class to be able to Shoop Da Woop.

Mercenary Pen
2010-04-19, 01:53 PM
The ability to disbelieve non-illusion spells cast by your opponent... The way that some people have dreams where the horde of demons suddenly turns into poodles (or vice versa), you want the ability to have this class say, "nope, that's not solid fog, it's a dire badger."

Maybe make that a capstone though.

TSGames
2010-04-19, 02:58 PM
My dreams tend to be fairly similar to this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54108). Objects doing things they shouldn't, reality frequently inverting, and perhaps the most common element: a hallway/doorway/passageway almost never leads to the same place twice. That's not to say I don't revisit some scenery multiple times, but it is very rare that I can get there the same way.