PDA

View Full Version : Quantum Foolery

Deca
2010-04-19, 12:35 AM
Nobody is sure just who it was that tried to explain quantum and chaos theory to Frimfram the Mad, a wizard famed for his magical experiments that repeatedly escape and run wild.
Whoever it was, there is a lot of people who would like to forcibly remind him never to give Frimfram ideas.

Schrodinger's Cat
Tiny Magical Beast
Hit Dice: 1/2 d10 (3 hp)
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares);
Initiative: +2
Armor Class: 16; touch 16; flat-footed 12
(+2 Size, +2 Dex, +2 Deflection)
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-12
Attack: Claw +4 melee (1d2-4)
Full-Attack: 2 claws + 4 melee (1d2-4) and bite -1 melee (1d3-4)
Space 2 1/2 ft.; Reach 0 ft.
Special Attacks: -
Special Qualities: Low Light Vision, Scent, Magical Beast Traits, Hover, Spell-Like Abilities, Observation
Saves: Fort +2 Ref +4 Will +1
Abilities: Str 3, Dex 15, Con 10, Int 4, Wis 12, Cha 7
Skills: Balance +10, Climb +6, Hide +16, Jump +10, Listen +3, Move Silently +8, Spot +3, Knowledge (the planes) +4
Feats: Stealthy, Weapon Finesse
Environment: Anywhere
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 1-2?
Treasure: None
Alignment: True Neutral
Advancement: -
Level Adjustment: -

Skills
Schrodinger Cats have a +4 racial bonus on Climb, Hide, Knowledge (the planes) and Move Silently checks and a +8 racial bonus on Jump checks. Cats have a +8 racial bonus on Balance checks. They use their Dexterity modifier instead of their Strength modifier for Climb and Jump checks. *In areas of tall grass or heavy undergrowth, the Hide bonus rises to +8

Hover (Su):
Schrodinger Cats hover three feet off the ground at all times. While hovering, they move at their regular speed.

Spell-Like Abilities (Sp):
A Schrodinger Cat have the following spell-like abilities:
At will- Greater Teleport, Plane Shift

Observation
When a Schrodinger Cat is being observed by a being with Int 2 or greater, it cannot use any of it's spell-like abilities.

Frimfram was a former owner of many, many cats. They helped him greatly in his attempt to investigate Schrodinger's thought experiment. They quickly proved difficult to contain and spread out into the village below Frimfram's manor house, making nuisances out of themselves.

Deca
2010-04-19, 12:36 AM
Chaos Theory Butterfly
Fine Aberration (Chaotic)
Hit Dice: 1/4 d8 (4 hp)
Speed: Fly 5ft (1 square)
Initiative: +4
Armor Class: 24; touch 24; flat-footed 20
(+8 Size, +4 Dex, +2 Deflection)
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-21
Attack: 0
Full-Attack: 0
Space 0 ft.; Reach 0 ft.
Special Attacks: Spell-Like Abilities
Special Qualities: Aberration Traits, Chaotic Traits, Scent
Saves: Fort +0 Ref +4 Will +0
Abilities: Str 1, Dex 18, Con 1, Int 1, Wis 5, Cha 4
Skills: Spot 2, Listen 2
Feats: Toughness
Environment: Tropical and Temperate areas.
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 1-2?
Treasure: None
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
Advancement: -
Level Adjustment: -

Spell-Like Abilities (Sp):
A Chaos Theory Butterfly can use the following spell-like abilities
5/day- Call Lightning, Gust of Wind, Wind Wall
3/day- Call Lightning Storm, Control Winds, Control Water
1/day- Control Weather
1/week- Whirlwind

These curious insects were produced by a complicated ritual involving Chaotic outsiders.
Frimfram direly misunderstood the Butterfly analogy. Instead of producing weather effects in far off places, these tyrannical insects produce them where they wish, usually on top of people who displease them

Fortuna
2010-04-19, 02:37 AM
You need to explain what happens when you lock one of the cats in a box, and give them a rage ability if you do so (anyone get the reference?)

DracoDei
2010-04-19, 07:14 AM
"Displease" seems incongruent with INT 1... perhaps make some analogy about "like disturbing a wasps nest, except with tornados instead of biting".

I would probably drop the cats to INT 2...

As for the joke above me, I suspect it is a reference to "Dirk Gently's Hollististic Detective Agency" where (if I remember) he says that the cat he recovered was pretty annoyed about being semi-killed repeatedly...?

SlyGuyMcFly
2010-04-19, 08:41 AM
The Cat should have a permanent Blink-like effect, I think.

DaTedinator
2010-04-19, 10:05 AM
The Cat should have a permanent Blink-like effect, I think.

Until someone looks at it, at which point it has a 50% chance of remaining on the Ethereal Plane, 50% of remaining on the Material.