PDA

View Full Version : Beast Mastery Style Druid PF/3.5

Darcand
2010-04-19, 12:44 PM
A friend is looking to play a druid, but they want her to function much like a WoW beast mastery hunter, with spells and feats designed around making her companion the main combatant, and herself buff/healing/utility support for the pet.

Any suggestions for feats, spells, or animal selection. The build needs not be optimized, merely viable.

Anterean
2010-04-19, 02:01 PM
Going with pathfinder stuff alone because my knowledge of the various 3.5 splatbooks is servely limited:

A physically strong animal like a large cat, a bear or boar would be an obvious choice for this sort of thing.

There are no feats that really springs to mind, though Augument Summoning would help with animals from the summon natures ally if your friend wants a few extra animals around from time to time.
In true "wow hunter" style she could go for precise shot as well to fire into melee without hitting her trusted companion. To be honest I would not recommend it though because well, a sling just is not that useful addition to a fight when you have spells.

As for spell selection, you canīt really go wrong with (greater) magic fang, and her animal companion will benefit as much from bark skin, bear's endurance, bull strength and cats grace as the party fighter will. The same is true for protection from energy and stoneskin.
and of course the obvious most spell : Animal Growth.
Other than this it would be mostly healing spells I suppose.

Amphetryon
2010-04-19, 02:34 PM
Riding Dog (trained for war) is generally the best 1st level companion. After 4th level, start along the path of the various pouncing options; there's a completely uber dinosaur option listed in the Druid Handbook (http://69.8.198.229/showthread.php?t=733400), the Fleshraker, from MM3. If it's available, that's the choice to take.

Druids get Natural Spell at 6th level in lieu of a feat. :smalltongue:

There's an actual Prestige Class in Complete Adventurer called, of all things, Beastmaster. It's not nearly as good as just being a Druid, but if that's the only aspect about which your friend cares, it's something to consider. It makes the pet stronger at the expense of spellcasting.

The style of play for most beast master Druids encourages Small size, since you're letting your companion fight for you. Gnome is a solid choice for this very reason.

Kaiyanwang
2010-04-19, 02:35 PM
Just a question: in PF Ranger's Companion is more powerful than in 3.5.. why couldn't he just play the ranger?

Said this, I quote what said above. Animal growth could be really proper, barring the immediate benefit, because it recalls the Beastmaster Hunter high level talent allowing his/her beast to grow stronger and enrage.

RagnaroksChosen
2010-04-19, 03:29 PM
Riding Dog (trained for war) is generally the best 1st level companion. After 4th level, start along the path of the various pouncing options; there's a completely uber dinosaur option listed in the Druid Handbook (http://69.8.198.229/showthread.php?t=733400), the Fleshraker, from MM3. If it's available, that's the choice to take.

Druids get Natural Spell at 6th level in lieu of a feat. :smalltongue:

There's an actual Prestige Class in Complete Adventurer called, of all things, Beastmaster. It's not nearly as good as just being a Druid, but if that's the only aspect about which your friend cares, it's something to consider. It makes the pet stronger at the expense of spellcasting.

The style of play for most beast master Druids encourages Small size, since you're letting your companion fight for you. Gnome is a solid choice for this very reason.

I belive PF actualy changes the selection of AC's so no more Fleshraker.