PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Oath of Enmity and Multiple Targets

LibraryOgre
2010-04-19, 01:51 PM
My Avenger has at least one power (Defining Cut) that will attack multiple targets with the note that, if one is my Oath of Enmity, both are counted as such. Does this mean if those are the only two enemies I am adjacent to, I roll twice for both and take the better?

Yakk
2010-04-19, 02:33 PM
Technically, no.

Practically, yes.

Draz74
2010-04-19, 02:40 PM
I can't see why this wouldn't work "technically," too.

I mean, I hate to contest anything with Yakk ... but I actually caught Sinfire making a mistake with Incarnum the other day, so I guess anything's possible.

Thajocoth
2010-04-19, 04:11 PM
You're supposed to roll separately for each monster when you have a power that targets multiple monsters. So you roll twice for each of the two monsters, taking the better roll for each of the two.

So... You were, in fact, technically incorrect, but had the right idea.

LibraryOgre
2010-04-19, 05:17 PM
You're supposed to roll separately for each monster when you have a power that targets multiple monsters. So you roll twice for each of the two monsters, taking the better roll for each of the two.

So... You were, in fact, technically incorrect, but had the right idea.

Actually, that was what I was assuming... I'd roll twice for monster A and twice for monster B, and take the best of either set for the applicable monster (so A would be hit by A1 or A2, and B would be hit by B1 or B2, but not by A1 or A2, even if they were better).

Yakk
2010-04-19, 07:44 PM
The first line of the oath text:

When you make a melee attack against the target and the target is the only enemy adjacent to you.
even if you have two targets, neither are the "only enemy adjacent to you". So the result of that clause (rolling twice) doesn't apply, by the letter of the rules.

The letter of the rules in this case is pretty stupid. So, practically, you should be allowed to roll twice.

... oh, he was asking if it goes even further! I misunderstood. No, you shouldn't roll 4 times and take the best of 4 for each.

To be clear: by the rules as written, that power is next to useless. It works with feats that let you do extra damage to your oath target (if they don't have the "only" clause), but it doesn't let you roll twice.

Practically, that interpretation is ... pretty silly. Instead, as others have said, roll twice for each.

Tiki Snakes
2010-04-19, 09:45 PM
I'd say it does look, to my mind, like the power is intended to be an exception to some degree. As long as the two creatures are the only enemies next to you, I'd go with the rolling two dice twice option, as a DM, I think.

Yakk
2010-04-20, 10:44 PM
*nod*. Really, Oath of Enmity should read "so long as all adjacent enemies to you are targets of your Oath of Enmity, and your target is adjacent to you", but I could see that being edited into the "more clear" version that was published.