PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]Waterproofing a Spellbook

CockroachTeaParty
2010-04-19, 02:01 PM
As the title implies, I'm wondering if there is any way to waterproof a spellbook? I'm not even sure if there are rules for what happens should a book or spellbook become submerged in water, but for a cautious wizard about to embark on a sea voyage, what should he do?

Goldfly
2010-04-19, 02:05 PM
Waterproof spellbook, Complete Arcane page 142.

~LuckyBoneDice~
2010-04-19, 02:08 PM
Waterproof spellbook, Complete Arcane page 142.

well, if you want to do it THAT way, fine. I prefer more creative ways, such as the Tattooed Spellbook or shielded spellbook, or even (my fave) an inscribed spellboook with metal pages and a cool ivory cover

Draz74
2010-04-19, 02:10 PM
This is yet another reason (as if you needed one) to get a Boccob's Blessed Book.

Goldfly
2010-04-19, 02:10 PM
well, if you want to do it THAT way, fine. I prefer more creative ways, such as the Tattooed Spellbook or shielded spellbook, or even (my fave) an inscribed spellboook with metal pages and a cool ivory cover

Sure, but those methods tend to involve a bit more work for the player or more money.Not to mention, he can apply waterproof to the spellbook he has now.

LibraryOgre
2010-04-19, 02:22 PM
Low-cost methods for the wizard on a 1st level budget.

1: Multiple layers of waterproofing. A layer of waxed paper, followed by a layer of wool, followed by a layer of leather. You'll want to quickly get it out of the wool when dunked, but it will do a very good job of water-proofing.

2: If you've got a bit more money, have a wooden case made; a harp case is appropriately built, but it needs to be made to spec. Then seal all the seams with wax. You'll still have the hinged side unsealed, so wrap that, preferably in something relatively waterproof, and carried in such a way that the seams are "up". You may want to overbuild the lid a little, , and maybe even design it with the lid as a separate piece that fits over and around the edge a little loosely. Then line both the lid and the edge of the box that the lid drops over with felt; it makes a good seal, cheap to replace, and makes it very hard to fill with water.

3: When you've got more money, one of your best options is extra-dimensional spaces, especially controlled ones like Heward's Handy Haversack.

Alvrick
2010-04-19, 02:28 PM
Well, complete arcane states that the reason a spellbook costs 15 gold to begin with is because it's gone through many alchemical processes to make it resistant to the elements and water damage. it wouldn't survive prolonged exposure, but a 10-minute dip isn't going to do much to it. Or you can buy the incredible other materials you can get for it, such as copper foil pages and dragon hide covers. I guarantee you that carving words into metal is going to keep them fairly water proof