PDA

View Full Version : Paladin Mounts (3.5)

Captainocaptain
2010-04-19, 08:33 PM
Ok, so I'm running a game and one of my players is a paladin. He doesnt know much about gaming so he was completely stumped when I asked about his paladin mount.
So, using Core only, what would make a good mount for a 12th level paladin? It should not be too complex or combat comanding, more something that can support in combat and help with movement and the like without stealing the spotlight combat wise. Any suggestions?

The Glyphstone
2010-04-19, 08:38 PM
Hippogriffs are good - they're decent fighters, and more importantly, they fly.

308HTR
2010-04-19, 10:30 PM
A dire boar would be an excellent mount! Its natural attacks are superior to those of a warhorse. The hippogriff's carrying capacity would restrict the pally's selection of arms and armor. Plus they're ferocious!

A dire boar is such a tenacious combatant that it continues to fight without penalty even while disabled or dying.

Alvrick
2010-04-19, 10:36 PM
a polar or dire bear... ok, maybe a bit powerful, but still awesome and workable. Alternatively, he could go for a unicorn if it's a female character. another couple that wouldn't require a female character are hippogriff and pegasus. maybe even a good aligned wyvern.

Captainocaptain
2010-04-19, 10:40 PM
Thanks. Oh, forgot to mention, he's playing a half celestial. so flying is not so much of a plus, but it would be nice to have a mount that can follow him in the air. I'll run these by him tomorrow, any other suggestions are welcome though!

Alvrick
2010-04-19, 10:54 PM
he's half-celestial? well, mobility and mounted combat are the big things, so if he's not too into the whole mounted combat thing you should just get him to take a variant that gets rid of the mount, as it will save him some headaches getting used to his one character rather than figuring out how to make sure two move around tactically

Roderick_BR
2010-04-20, 09:40 AM
You want something simple, but effective? I think a simple warhorse is good enough. And while you're at it, give him a pegasus, that has almost the same stats, and can fly, so it can accompany him. Just get some nice barding and magic itens, and you're set. I think it delays the paladin mount's power some levels, but since it's just an ability that he already have himself, just let him have it for no additional cost.
Or find an ACF that replaces his mount with something simpler, like the Charging Smite from PHB2.

Eldariel
2010-04-20, 09:48 AM
Pegasus advancing in HD isn't a bad option. You could also pick Dragon Cohort and get a Dragon as a mount; Young Gold Dragon would make for a stylish one, for sure.

Cogidubnus
2010-04-20, 01:38 PM
Pegasus advancing in HD isn't a bad option. You could also pick Dragon Cohort and get a Dragon as a mount; Young Gold Dragon would make for a stylish one, for sure.

That just SOUNDS awesome :smallbiggrin: