PDA

View Full Version : [4e]Character Builder questions

NeoVid
2010-04-19, 10:12 PM
OK, I've ended up playing around with the character builder every free moment I have, since it's one of the greatest things ever. But there's a few things I'm not sure how to make it do...

I'm told that you can save Builder character sheets as PDFs. With no working printer here, if I want to actually use the sheets I make (with the cool character portraits I've searched for), I'll have to find some way to email them. Having PDFs of the sheets would be extremely handy, but I've got no clue how to do it.

My other questions have to do with the large number of houseruled things in my upcoming campaign: Is there a way to edit the power cards/sheet it generates, to reflect custom things that don't add up right in the builder?

Also, is there any way to add a homebrew race to the builder, or at least make the numbers for one come out right?

valadil
2010-04-19, 10:23 PM
If your GM has the character builder as well you can just email them the .dnd4e files the CB makes. Failing that, pdfs are a good option. Try setting up a pdf printer. I'm pretty sure I've used CutePDF in the past, but any pdf printer will do. Basically when you print through that instead of getting a paper copy you get a pdf file.

Gralamin
2010-04-19, 10:23 PM
OK, I've ended up playing around with the character builder every free moment I have, since it's one of the greatest things ever. But there's a few things I'm not sure how to make it do...

I'm told that you can save Builder character sheets as PDFs. With no working printer here, if I want to actually use the sheets I make (with the cool character portraits I've searched for), I'll have to find some way to email them. Having PDFs of the sheets would be extremely handy, but I've got no clue how to do it.
Go the the Character sheet. File -> Print and choose the "PDF Printer" option.

My other questions have to do with the large number of houseruled things in my upcoming campaign: Is there a way to edit the power cards/sheet it generates, to reflect custom things that don't add up right in the builder?
I don't think you can.

Also, is there any way to add a homebrew race to the builder, or at least make the numbers for one come out right?

Choose a race with the same ability mods. Adding homebrew races currently does not do much.

When in doubt, press the yellow house icon, see what happens.

Excession
2010-04-19, 10:36 PM
The .dnd4e files are in XML format. I'm not entirely sure what happens in you edit them, but you could try opening them in a text or XML editor and seeing what happens when you load them back into the builder. I wouldn't expect the changes to persist when loaded back into the builder, but the charsheet viewer might work.

Katana_Geldar
2010-04-19, 10:59 PM
You can edit the cards so they are blank, if that helps. You will need to unlock the sheet.

Not everything adds up well or even shows correctly on character builder all the time.

NeoVid
2010-04-19, 11:09 PM
Go the the Character sheet. File -> Print and choose the "PDF Printer" option.

Ah, all right... looks like I need to add a PDF printing option to my comp, and that'll take care of it. Hopefully.

tcrudisi
2010-04-20, 03:50 AM

First, as everyone else said: CutePDF. Then open up the character sheet and choose print. For the printer, choose CutePDF. I use it all the time and it will work (since the only way it won't work is if you were on a Mac, but then if you were on a Mac, you could not use the char builder).

Second, it depends on the house rules. Will you tell us what they are so we can judge you and laugh at how bad they are help you out? If it's something like, "You get Versatile Expertise for free" then yeah, that's easy. Other things? Perhaps not as easy or possible.

NeoVid
2010-04-20, 04:39 AM
Well, it turns out there's no option for printing a PDF when I try it on my comp. I'll have to fix that problem on my end.

As for the house rules, there's only one that really affects me personally: my Warden's getting a homebrewed weapon, which is a polearm/hammer. Since there's no weapon like that officially for some reason, there's no one thing I can equip with that character that makes all the numbers come out right. This isn't a big issue, really.

The bigger problem is in another campaign that should be starting back up soon. The setting has a signature race that isn't much like any official one. Small, with +Int and +Cha/Con, and the racial power will likely be one turn of flight (dammit, I told the GM I'd help him nail down the design, and forgot til now... doh). One player who's running one just listed it as a gnome in the builder, which works well enough, but if there's better solution, we'd like to have it.

Colmarr
2010-04-20, 05:21 AM
Well, it turns out there's no option for printing a PDF when I try it on my comp. I'll have to fix that problem on my end.

That's probably because you don't have any software that makes it possible. I was in the same boat until I downloaded CutePDF (http://www.cutepdf.com/Products/CutePDF/writer.asp).

Once you have it installed, you will be able to choose it as though it were a printer. It then outputs a PDF document.

tcrudisi
2010-04-20, 05:31 AM

As for the house rules, there's only one that really affects me personally: my Warden's getting a homebrewed weapon, which is a polearm/hammer. Since there's no weapon like that officially for some reason, there's no one thing I can equip with that character that makes all the numbers come out right. This isn't a big issue, really.

The bigger problem is in another campaign that should be starting back up soon. The setting has a signature race that isn't much like any official one. Small, with +Int and +Cha/Con, and the racial power will likely be one turn of flight (dammit, I told the GM I'd help him nail down the design, and forgot til now... doh). One player who's running one just listed it as a gnome in the builder, which works well enough, but if there's better solution, we'd like to have it.

I was going to link CutePDF for ya, but it seems Colmarr beat me to the punch.

I'm a bit cofused about the weapon. A little bit more information is required: what's the prof bonus, the damage it does, and any special properties (such as reach)?

Actually, that race sounds like one that already exists: Githyanki. They get the ability to fly up to 5 squares as an encounter power and they get a bonus to Int and Con. Yes, they are medium, but it's eerily close. Have that player take a look at the Githyanki race. It'll also help for balance purposes.

NeoVid
2010-04-20, 05:42 AM
All right, Gith for the Int/Con and Gnome for the Int/Cha at least makes the numbers come out right for that race. This is starting to remind me why I prefer to write out character sheets in pencil, though...

And as for the custom weapon, the Lucern Hammer got statted out by the GM by taking a halberd and changing it from axe/polearm to hammer/polearm. Unfortunately, Hammer Rhythm and Hafted Defense are not feats you should get to use with the same weapon according to the builder.

And I should get CutePDF in the morning.

...Why am I even up this late?