PDA

View Full Version : NVN or NVN2 for multiplayer?

SamTheSane
2010-04-20, 01:35 AM
I was talking with a friend earlier tonight and the conversation turned to finding a fun multiplayer rpg game, and both neverwinter nights and the sequel were brought up. So... any recommendations on which would give a more enjoyable experience, or which has the better campaigns/modules?

Remmirath
2010-04-20, 02:03 AM
Neverwinter Nights 2 has better graphics, but also significantly more bugs. Particularly if your system is not very powerful, Neverwinter Nights will run better.

Neverwinter Nights currently has vastly more mods/haks/modules/what have you, due to being around a deal longer and also being easier to work with. Neverwinter Nights 2 does have some cool and interesting ones, however.

As far as the campaigns that come with the game goes, my opinion - neither of them have very great original ones. Neverwinter Nights 2 comes out slightly ahead for me, if for no other reason than that I can't stand the starting couple of chapters of the Neverwinter Nights one.

Hordes of the Underdark is probably the most enjoyable official campaign for NWN, and Mask of the Betrayer is probably the most enjoyable one for NWN2.

The camera in NWN2 is quite annoying, which is not to say that it's not annoying in NWN, but I think it's worse in the second one. I prefer the less detailed model + portrait approach of NWN, but I know that's not the case for everyone.
They have equally terrible point-buy systems. :smallyuk: The main difference between the two is a graphics upgrade, plus some slight mechanical tweaks. You can't create more than one character in either of them.
Ah, right - one point in NWN2's favour: the companions can actually be controlled, as opposed to the henchman of NWN (obviously this would be an advantage in the other direction if you don't like to control them).

Obviously everybody has a different opinion on this. On the whole, I tend to find Neverwinter Nights more fun, but if graphics are a big thing for you Neverwinter Nights 2 is probably the way to go.

My truly honest recommendation would be neither of them - I find that Icewind Dale works best of all the games I have for a fun multiplayer game. It is kind of old, though, and I know many people aren't as fond of older games as I am (and that you weren't actually asking for other suggestions). :smalltongue:

SamTheSane
2010-04-20, 02:43 AM
Heh... in my many years (or maybe not so many, depending on your point of view) I've learned to pay attention to suggestions, especially when unexpected. I had actually thought about icewind dale, but figured the headache of finding copies for everyone may limit it's usefulness.

I had been leaning towards nwn anyway... the second is not overly fond of my computer

Dogmantra
2010-04-20, 02:47 AM
NWN2 has far more classes, too, plus it is 3.5 edition rather than 3.0, which may or may not be something to consider, depending on whether or not you play D&D. Although admittedly, if you're like me and suffer from terminal restartitis, more classes is probably not a good thing. :smalltongue: