PDA

View Full Version : I am IRONMAN

Loki Eremes
2010-04-20, 04:27 AM
Last night watched again Ironman movie (2008) and it revived in me that love for this superhero. I remember playing with their action figures about 15 years ago, simply loved it xDD

Now That D&D is one of my main hobbies, i want to play it one more time, so i started looking ways to create it.
Looked a bit over internet and here, but didnt found too much.

...So, i need your help and suggestions.

(((3.5, all books except Tome of Battle xD)))

I think the warlock class is something to start with. But race, prestige or another clases, and more importantly: Equipment.
Things like Damage reduction, AC, flying ability, etc.

Warforged race looks great.... but i want a living being, not mechanical if possible. After all...Tony Stark is human.

Eldariel
2010-04-20, 04:29 AM
It's very simple. He's just a man in a suit. Human Artificer. Make a suit. Profit. That is all.

reptilecobra13
2010-04-20, 04:36 AM
Personally, I've always loved the idea of a reverse Ironman, with a warforged piloting a massive flesh golem. :smallbiggrin:

Loki Eremes
2010-04-20, 04:40 AM
Personally, I've always loved the idea of a reverse Ironman, with a warforged piloting a massive flesh golem. :smallbiggrin:

Fleshman!
but... the golem isnt alive T-T

Eldan
2010-04-20, 04:40 AM
Take an artificer.

Now take a suit of the heaviest armour you can find. Planar Handbook, I think, ws the book with superheavy armour.

Start enchanting that armour: get some wands of scorching ray, integrate them in the arms. Let the armour fly. Make it air- and watertight. Make it enhance strength, dexterity and constitution.

That should do it. Then keep adding on more secondary powers.

Loki Eremes
2010-04-20, 04:49 AM
Take an artificer.

Now take a suit of the heaviest armour you can find. Planar Handbook, I think, ws the book with superheavy armour.

Start enchanting that armour: get some wands of scorching ray, integrate them in the arms. Let the armour fly. Make it air- and watertight. Make it enhance strength, dexterity and constitution.

crap, need that book.
checking planar handbook :smallwink:

Loki Eremes
2010-04-20, 05:07 AM
It's very simple. He's just a man in a suit. Human Artificer. Make a suit. Profit. That is all.

Take an artificer.

I heard of the Artificer...
Are those enchantments permanent?

dota600
2010-04-20, 05:28 AM
I myself try to modify some rules about mecha in dandwiki but well yeah I failed.

But in regards of some d20 robots or mecha, dandwiki has some rules which maybe a start.

GallóglachMaxim
2010-04-20, 05:45 AM
I heard of the Artificer...
Are those enchantments permanent?

You add properties to the armour. It gets very expensive after a while to keep piling things on, as well as more time consuming, so you might want to make separate items for flight, weapons and such. Look at flight, animate object (so it can help you put it on), that sort of thing.

Yora
2010-04-20, 05:50 AM
You could break the armor down in several parts: Helmets, gauntlets, and boots can all be worn while wearing heavy armor, without the armor losing its properties.
You can also wear a magical shirt under the armor and use a belt. Have them all created together to get the appearance of a uniform suit of armor, and you now have eight items to enchant instead of one.

AdalKar
2010-04-20, 05:57 AM
There is also the clockwork armor (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cw/20070212a) which is awesome if you get the heavy armor profiency and because it grants a +4 circumstance bonus to strength and dexterity, you can get items to enhance these abilities to gain awesome str and dex while in your awesome suit :smallwink:

Sure it is not quite cheap but I don't think the suit of Tony Stark was cheap :smallbiggrin:

Thurbane
2010-04-20, 06:02 AM
[3.5] How well can I stat up Iron Man? (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144731&highlight=iron)

Iron Man homebrew class (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6900315&postcount=3)

Prime32
2010-04-20, 06:22 AM
There is also the clockwork armor (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cw/20070212a) which is awesome if you get the heavy armor profiency and because it grants a +4 circumstance bonus to strength and dexterity, you can get items to enhance these abilities to gain awesome str and dex while in your awesome suit :smallwink:

Sure it is not quite cheap but I don't think the suit of Tony Stark was cheap :smallbiggrin:Just make sure to fix the icing problem.

GallóglachMaxim
2010-04-20, 06:30 AM
Just make sure to fix the icing problem.

(firstly, nice, I missed that reading the stats)

As for a solution, build in some fire resist and come up with a way of blasting yourself to de-ice.

Last Laugh
2010-04-20, 06:51 AM
Take an artificer.

What spell lets you breathe? All I can think of is the Immediate action one from SpC. (deep breath?)
Of course you could always just have a warforged inside the suit!

Deth Muncher
2010-04-20, 07:03 AM
I believe I was one of the first to pose this question when the movie came out, and hence, there have been about six threads asking the same. While I can never find my old thread (Thread Divination was my barred school when I started taking the Forumancer class), there are two ways to go about this.

Type One (I don't like this one, but several people did, so I'll include it.)
1.Be a Warforged.
2. Be a Warlock.
3. Take Invocations that let you fly, give you added range on your lazorz, etc.
4. I think there's a Warforged Component that lets you hide Wands in your arm, so grab a few wands like Magic Missile and Scorching Ray.
5. ???
6. Profit.

Or, you go for Type 2 - My Personal Favorite
1. Be a Human.
2. Be a Sorceror.
3. Get the aforementioned Clockwork Armor - it's flavored to be just like the Iron Man suit anyway, even down to the freezing problem.
4.Take Heavy Armor Proficiency somehow, or you're not going to be able to cast in the armor, which is bad.
5. Get a Runestaff with all the spells on it you think you'll need - Fly/Overland Flight, Scorching Ray, Maximizrd Magic Missile, Disintigrate if it tickles your fancy. (Addendum: Perhaps you should use the unslotting rules to just make this part of you, or the combining magical items rules to make it part of the armor. Is it expensive? Hell yes. That's why you have an Artificer cohort. :D)
6. For extra kicks and giggles, since you're a sorceror (though you may be starved for feats unless you just Wished for Hev.Arm.Prof.), take some Reserve Feats for your unlimited blasting, etc.
7. ???
8. Profit.

EDIT @ ^ - Breathing spells? Deep Breath, Water Breathing off the top of my head. Since you're going whole hog anyway, you may as well unslot a Necklace of Adaptation onto the armor.

EDIT 2: Also looking at some of the previous posts, you COULD start enchanting the armor to make room on your Runestaff, but you must remember that if you get Dispelled, you'll lose those until you can get them recasted.

Eldan
2010-04-20, 07:05 AM
What spell lets you breathe? All I can think of is the Immediate action one from SpC. (deep breath?)
Of course you could always just have a warforged inside the suit!

That's not a spell, actually, it's an armour enchantment from the MIC.

Darkxarth
2010-04-20, 07:44 AM
That's not a spell, actually, it's an armour enchantment from the MIC.

Actually, it is a spell in the Spell Compendium on page 61. As an immediate action your lungs fill with air for the duration of the spell, after it expires, you can continue to hold your breath as normal.

Maybe you were thinking of the Gilled or Deepdweller enchantments from the Magic Item Compendium, though they allow the wearer to breathe water, where Deep Breath gives the target a lungful of air, whether he is in space, underwater, or in a room full of poisonous gas.

Telonius
2010-04-20, 10:53 AM
To breathe inside the suit, just have the helmet hold a specially-shaped Bottle of Air right next to where the wearer's mouth would be.

EDIT: This would require a standard action to breathe, but would accomplish it without successive spellcasting.

LibraryOgre
2010-04-20, 11:12 AM
I would go with a Warforged Warlock, myself. Describe the physical changes that happen with each new Invocation. As for the man inside the suit? Get a hat of disguise, so you look human, even when you're Ironman.

Hey, could you combine this with Adamantine Plating?

goken04
2010-04-20, 12:47 PM
Currently I'm running Lord Iron as an NPC bounty hunter in an Evil campaign IRL. Artificer would be good for the theme, but I was going for the effect. I made him a Warforged Warlock 3/Warmage 4 and it works well. I also just gave him a fly speed because I can and his power-level, look, and abilities are all right what I imagined.

Prime32
2010-04-20, 12:53 PM
Lord Iron
Marvel 1602 was awesome. :smallbiggrin: Sadly, I never got to read the second series where they meet the guy.

Optimystik
2010-04-20, 01:54 PM
I would go with a Warforged Warlock, myself. Describe the physical changes that happen with each new Invocation. As for the man inside the suit? Get a hat of disguise, so you look human, even when you're Ironman.

I like this idea, personally. You can fly, shoot lasers, and use all kinds of gadgets - Sure the Artificer does it better and can take the suit off, but you have a much shallower learning curve.

Eh, not the best combination - Warlock invocations and EB are subject to ASF, despite being SLAs.

Loki Eremes
2010-04-20, 02:01 PM
You could break the armor down in several parts: Helmets, gauntlets, and boots can all be worn while wearing heavy armor, without the armor losing its properties.
You can also wear a magical shirt under the armor and use a belt. Have them all created together to get the appearance of a uniform suit of armor, and you now have eight items to enchant instead of one.

Yup though about it. After all its an entire suit and not just a breastplate. :smallsmile:

So many answers, thx you all.
If you have something else in mind just keep telling them, this is getting great :smallbiggrin:

Demons_eye
2010-04-20, 02:21 PM
Eh, not the best combination - Warlock invocations and EB are subject to ASF, despite being SLAs.

Last time I checked, warforged plating does not count as armor.

Optimystik
2010-04-20, 02:34 PM

Adamantine Body carries ASF.

MachineWraith
2010-04-20, 02:39 PM

No, Adamantine Body has a 35% ASF. States it right in the feat description. You also are slowed down to 20 feet, have a +1 max Dex, and are considered to be wearing heavy armor.

Edit: ninja'd

AdalKar
2010-04-20, 02:43 PM
Not only the adamantine body but composite plating itself also has ACF.
Yes, only 5% but it's there :smallbiggrin:

Composite plating also provides a warforged
with a 5% arcane spell failure chance, similar to
the penalty for wearing light armor.

Androgeus
2010-04-20, 05:14 PM
Not only the adamantine body but composite plating itself also has ACF.
Yes, only 5% but it's there :smallbiggrin:

Any class ability that allows a warforged to ignore the arcane spell failure chance for light armor lets him ignore this penalty as well.

Is after that, so a warforged warlock can work, but not with Adamantine Body (unless Battle Caster could be taken twice).

Sinfire Titan
2010-04-20, 05:27 PM
Warforged Incarnate works too.

Tengu_temp
2010-04-20, 05:43 PM

But then you're not Iron Man. You're not a guy in a high-tech/magical power suit, you're a Warforged with powers who sometimes pretends to be a human for some weird reasons.

D Knight
2010-04-20, 08:19 PM
Go with the artificer and clockwork armor. there is a way you do not have to worry about time it takes to don the armor Ring of Arming (MIC) its only 5k cheap for arming you in a flash. also i am surprised that no one has said it before now. there are a group of 3 feats that when taken take 25% of the cost to create magic items.they are in Ebberon campaign setting.

AdalKar
2010-04-21, 04:20 PM
there are a group of 3 feats that when taken take 25% of the cost to create magic items.they are in Ebberon campaign setting.

Yes, there are these feats, but if you are an artificier you only need to take 2 of those. The one that reduces the gold and the one for the XP cost because your dedicated wright takes care of the time for you :smallwink:
There is also the magical artisan feat in PGtF which reduces the cost of one item creation feat you possess to 75% of the normal cost. But I don't know if there is an errata for it or if it stacks and if it stacks how :smallbiggrin:

Deth Muncher
2010-04-21, 04:23 PM
Go with the artificer and clockwork armor. there is a way you do not have to worry about time it takes to don the armor Ring of Arming (MIC) its only 5k cheap for arming you in a flash. also i am surprised that no one has said it before now. there are a group of 3 feats that when taken take 25% of the cost to create magic items.they are in Ebberon campaign setting.

Ohai! You were number two on the "Let's Make An Iron Man" thread train. (After the movie came out, that was.) Can you find your old thread and link it?

D Knight
2010-04-21, 04:51 PM
ok after much digging around i have found it and sorry i do not know how to make hypelinks here.
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79283&highlight=iron

Loki Eremes
2010-12-30, 11:15 PM
Have been along time since last post on this thread so...

I play my magic card...

{Scrubbed}

COME BACK FROM THE GRAVE! :xykon:

Now to the business.

Finally im about to use the Artificer, but i realized i dont know other item creation FEATS than the ones that appear in Eberron Campaing Setting book (legendary artisan, extraordinary artisan and so)

I wanna know,
following the premise title of this thread, which ones do you recomend me? [except from the ones ive already mentioned]

The Glyphstone
2010-12-30, 11:19 PM
Great Modthulhu: Locked for Thread Necromancy.