PDA

View Full Version : ranger spellcasting

RagnaroksChosen
2010-04-20, 08:29 AM
Is there any non Dragon magazine material that increases rangers spell casting?

I'm trying to see if there is a way to go
Ranger/swiftblade using sword of the arcane order, but my GM's typicaly don't allow dragon magazine stuff.

HunterOfJello
2010-04-20, 08:37 AM
Spell Compendium has some useful Ranger spells. And if you grab a handful of Pearls of Power lvl 1 then you can repeat them a bunch.

the spell that lets you see an entire area around you from a birds eye view is great. I think it's called Lay of the Land or something like that

there's also a good one that makes your next attack auto-crit if it hits. it might be ranged only, i'm not sure

RagnaroksChosen
2010-04-20, 08:42 AM
Spell Compendium has some useful Ranger spells. And if you grab a handful of Pearls of Power lvl 1 then you can repeat them a bunch.

the spell that lets you see an entire area around you from a birds eye view is great. I think it's called Lay of the Land or something like that

there's also a good one that makes your next attack auto-crit if it hits. it might be ranged only, i'm not sure

Is there any way to increase the spell casting capabilities, is in spead up the aquisitions of spells. I know there is mystic ranger but like i said dragon mag stuff is out.

HunterOfJello
2010-04-20, 08:57 AM
not that I'm aware of. you could consider playing a Druid/Prestige Ranger instead

RagnaroksChosen
2010-04-20, 08:59 AM
not that I'm aware of. you could consider playing a Druid/Prestige Ranger instead

Thats a good question i don't know if my gm would allow prestige ranger nor do i know if sword of the arcane order interacts with prc ranger or not.

gorfnab
2010-04-20, 01:26 PM
Maybe you're thinking of the Mystic Ranger variant from Dragon Magazine #336 (or here (http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.5Index-Classes-Base.pdf) on page 91).

RagnaroksChosen
2010-04-20, 01:42 PM
Maybe you're thinking of the Mystic Ranger variant from Dragon Magazine #336 (or here (http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.5Index-Classes-Base.pdf) on page 91).

I know there is mystic ranger but like i said dragon mag stuff is out.

Ya i'm aware of that however no dragon mag stuff

nedz
2010-04-20, 02:16 PM
If you view ranger as a role you wish to play rather than a class, you can build a ranger with other classes. Druid or Spirit Shamen are obvious choices for the spells, you just need a skill/combat class to multiclass with.
Keeping Survival high and taking the feat TRACK should mean that you can do the ranger bit quite well.

RagnaroksChosen
2010-04-20, 02:18 PM
If you view ranger as a role you wish to play rather than a class, you can build a ranger with other classes. Druid or Spirit Shamen are obvious choices for the spells, you just need a skill/combat class to multiclass with.
Keeping Survival high and taking the feat TRACK should mean that you can do the ranger bit quite well.

Naa it was finding another route into Swiftblade.

nedz
2010-04-20, 02:33 PM
OK - that wasn't clear :)

The most useful thing is to get hold of the spells from the spell compendium, these offer far more options than the spells in the PH.

You can take Practiced Spellcaster to bump your CL, this is useful even for a single class ranger, however CL will generally only improve the spell durations which will be long anyway.

You could look at the Gnome Ranger from Races of Stone, if you just want a different spell selection, though you'd probably want to add in the Gnome Feats which give you slightly more options.

Half Elf Ranger from RoD is also worth a look.

Other than that, if you can't use Mystic Ranger then you are stuck.

There are other options with races/feats.
E.g. If you have feats to spare you could use the Fey Heratage feats to give you some SLAs, or even Play a Half Fey for some level dependant SLAs.

Person_Man
2010-04-20, 03:27 PM
Champions of Valor (which is also the source of Sword of the Arcane Order) has the Shooting Star Ranger substitution levels. It gives you:

Sending as a Spell-Like ability (replacing Endurance).
One extra bonus spell per day for each level of Ranger spells, and your Ranger caster level is improved to 1/2 your Ranger level + 2 + any levels of arcane classes (instead of the normal 1/2 your Ranger level, replaces your Animal Companion).
Adds See Invisibility and Word of Recall to your Ranger spell list. (Replaces Swift Tracker).

IMO, I think that Ranger is a horrible entry into Swiftblade. Why give up 5th-9th level spells for a few points of BAB?

RagnaroksChosen
2010-04-20, 08:35 PM
Champions of Valor (which is also the source of Sword of the Arcane Order) has the Shooting Star Ranger substitution levels. It gives you:

Sending as a Spell-Like ability (replacing Endurance).
One extra bonus spell per day for each level of Ranger spells, and your Ranger caster level is improved to 1/2 your Ranger level + 2 + any levels of arcane classes (instead of the normal 1/2 your Ranger level, replaces your Animal Companion).
Adds See Invisibility and Word of Recall to your Ranger spell list. (Replaces Swift Tracker).

IMO, I think that Ranger is a horrible entry into Swiftblade. Why give up 5th-9th level spells for a few points of BAB?

My normal swift blade character is
spellthief 1/wizard 4/unseen sear 2/swiftblade 10/3 swashbuckler
I like more martial swiftblades. personaly i was seeing if ranger would work... we where gonna run some Realms and i was thinking a ranger of mystra would be cool with the FE arcane.