PDA

View Full Version : Wizard duels and other things regarding a High Magic adventure

Learnedguy
2010-04-20, 08:38 AM
Okay, tired of seeing the same stupid martial builds my players come up with all the time, I've been thinking of forcing them all into a picking caster classes (that is, tier 1-2 classes) for our next game. I don't know if it'll be a campaign out of it or not, but that doesn't matter.

What matters is how I should structure the game to maximize the fun, right? well, I was thinking of level capping them at level 10 (so we'd have a gang of level 10 wizards/clerics/psions running amok). Now, how am I supposed to challenge them (especially when it comes to encounters. These are kick the door adventurers), and what kind of tricks will they try to pull at me with their combined magic might?

(I got two players who are notorious for trying to find loopholes in the rules just for the satisfaction of slapping each other on the back for a game well abused. If I'm not reigning them in, it usually leads to a lot of what I like dumb ****)

Also, I'm aware that the only way to challenge a wizard is with another wizard. So, how has magic duels worked out to you in the past? I got some experience of my own (The party had one especially notorious fight between a player telepath and an enemy wizard. Tentacles and body switch hilarity ensued). And what kind of normal monsters would prove challenging to these guys? If I just throw sorcerers at them they'll get bored.

And no, I'm not putting any limits on my players here. This is meant to become a no holds barred magic beatdown adventures, and I'm expecting everyone to do their best/worst.

Cogidubnus
2010-04-20, 01:19 PM
Not got a lot of advice here, but if you want to panic them, a combat monster with SR would be amusing. Not too high, but it'd force them to buff each other into being able to fight. Also, read: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104002&highlight=Logic+Ninja%27s+Batman+guide
That's a lot of advice on being a wizard. Ought to give you some ideas what they can do.

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-20, 04:03 PM
If your players normally make melee-ers are they going to be the usual Batman Wizards? If not then there's no reason to necessarily rely on other Mages as enemies. Paladins can have a decent bonus to all Saves if their Cha is up to scratch, which means a lot of their spells are less likely to work. Maybe a Spellthief who stalks them and steals one of their spells whenever they aren't looking before doing a runner.

Monsters: A Rakshasa is dangerous to Mages because it has relatively powerful Spell Resistance. Or Golems are immune to most magic if you're feeling particularly cruel.

sambo.
2010-04-20, 09:01 PM
Also, I'm aware that the only way to challenge a wizard is with another wizard.

i would have thought the "best" way to counter a Wizard would be with either a Noctumancer or a Sorcerer dedicated to counterspelling (dip into Cleric probably required).

an adventuring Batman type wizard with a general utility spell and feat list would get creamed by either of those two.

at least, that's what i'm hoping (i'm currently playing a noctumancer in a pbp game and i'm building him especially for caster duels. at least i think i'm building him for caster duels. will have to wait until i have a couple of them to be sure.)

Darcand
2010-04-21, 06:51 AM
Okay, tired of seeing the same stupid martial builds my players come up with all the time, I've been thinking of forcing them all into a picking caster classes (that is, tier 1-2 classes) for our next game. I don't know if it'll be a campaign out of it or not, but that doesn't matter.

What matters is how I should structure the game to maximize the fun, right?

Call me crazy, but I'm thinking the best way to maximize fun might be to not force your players into classes they don't seem to have any intrest in playing.

Killer Angel
2010-04-21, 07:01 AM
Call me crazy, but I'm thinking the best way to maximize fun might be to not force your players into classes they don't seem to have any intrest in playing.

This.
They can have fun, playing something different, but definitely not for a whole campaign.
I suggest a single short adventure, i've done it with my group and it was a moderate success.

Here's a link (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115750) to my old (and hopefully useful) thread regarding some enemy.

EpicEvokerElf
2010-04-21, 07:14 AM
Complete Arcane has rules for wizard duels, but Darcand is right.