PDA

View Full Version : Polymorph Spells [PEACH; WIP]

Eldan
2010-04-20, 09:28 AM
Quite some time ago, I posted an idea for polymorph spells which didn't get much echo. Then, in the "reworking core spells" thread, I posted my version of Alter self, which seemed to work well enough. Since then, I've added a few more specials to the tables, and I'd like some opinions on this.

First of all, there are four different spells now: Alter Self, at level 2, Minor Polymorph, at level 4, Polymorph, at level 8, and Shapechange, at level 9. I'm not sure if they are the right levels for now, but they are not really done anyway.

These spells all work in a similar manner: there are three lists of special abilities, namely least, lesser and greater ones, and the spells give you a certain number of abilities chosen from these tables. Because of the mix-and-match nature, it is possible to polymorph into quite weird critters (i.e. get four tentacles, wings and a breath weapon and you are truly strange), and potentially even combinations of abilities which do not occur in any single critter in the various MMs.
However, there are two possible approaches to solve this: the first is DM fiat: limit your players to a combination you think occurs in existing monsters they know: if they want tremorsense, they should take spider shape, if they want to be an eagle, they should take wings, claws and a spot bonus.
The other, and probably the one I'd be going for, is laissez-faire: there are so many weird monsters out there in all the splat books that most likely just about any combination of abilities exists somewhere. The shape should of course still reflect the changes: if you take tentacles, your form needs tentacles.

Alter Self

Alter Self
Transmutation
Level: Bard 2, Sor/Wiz 2
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 min/level

You assume the form of one creature of your type and size category. The change is purely cosmetic, except as noted below, and your ability score, special qualities, extraordinary or supernatural abilities and movement modes do not change.
You may change into a specific individual you are familiar with, gaining a +15 circumstance bonus to disguise checks.
All your equipment stays on you, if the new form is capable of wearing it, or merges into your new form.

Apart from these cosmetic changes, you also gain two special abilities from the list of least shape change abilities, and one additional special ability per two caster levels beyond the third, to a maximum of 6 abilities at level 11.

Lesser Polymorph:

Lesser Polymorph
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 4
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range:Touch
Target: 1 willing creature touched
Duration: 1 min/level

The target creature assumes the form of any aberration, animal, dragon, fey, giant, humanoid, magical beast, monstrous humanoid, ooze, outsider, plant, or vermin of it's size category (or the newly assumed size category, if size change is chosen). The change is cosmetic, and the targets ability score, special qualities, extraordinary or supernatural abilities and movement modes do not change, except where noted below.
The target can be changed into a specific individual you are familiar with, gaining a +15 circumstance bonus to disguise checks.
All the target's equipment stays on it , if the new form is capable of wearing it, or merges into it's new form.
Apart from these cosmetic changes, the target also gain three special abilities from the list of least shape change abilities, and one additional least special ability per two caster levels beyond the 7th, to a maximum of 9 at level 19. It also gains two special abilities from the list of lesser shape change abilities, and one additional lesser special ability every three levels beyond the 7th, to a maximum of 6 at level 19.

Greater Polymorph

Greater Polymorph
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 8
Duration: 10 min/level

As Lesser Polymorph, except for the duration and that the target also gains 2 special abilities from the list of greater shape changes, and one additional greater special ability every three levels after 15th.

Shapechange

Shapechange
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 9

As Greater Polymorph, except that the target gains up to 12 least shape change abilities, 9 lesser shapechange abilities and 3 greater special abilities, with one additional ability every three levels after 17th.
Once per round as a swift action, the target may exchange up to three of it's special abilities for other special abilities of the same level.

(Not yet complete) list of abilities will soon follow, for now, my notes are here (http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Au8GIU5EHebRdFpjdHNBSTlyeGRkbExPckpPYm5HT Wc&hl=en), and I'm also still going through the monster manual for more.